Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase
Closed Thread

Old 31-08-2005, 23:26   #706
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach
The "Bloke in the Pub" reported ages ago that ntl would be trying to bring in the 10Mbs in September, subject to all the upgrade work being completed on schedule.
I need to ask this, this upgrade work includes uncongesting ntl's external pipes?

Various usa backbone peering links are congested every night now during peak time, meaning an uncongested ubr doesnt count for much.
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2005, 10:59   #707
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I need to ask this, this upgrade work includes uncongesting ntl's external pipes?

Various usa backbone peering links are congested every night now during peak time, meaning an uncongested ubr doesnt count for much.
Pinging kenradio.com (USA) last night I got 47% packet loss. Competition is always regarded as a good thing but I think it can also go too far to the point that things start falling apart.
Old 01-09-2005, 17:01   #708
Scopeuk
Inactive

Scopeuk is on a distinguished roadScopeuk is on a distinguished road

no slander intened on ntl but spin such as you can have 10 mb braud band for less than £20 works better than we have the least congested international pipes avaliable.
Old 01-09-2005, 17:14   #709
Mr Clean
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XLTV - Phone - 20Mb BB Connection - Godbless 'em!
Mr Clean will become famous soon enoughMr Clean will become famous soon enoughMr Clean will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

I welcome to upgrades. NTL have never let me down in the 3 years I've been with them. Excellent service. Quite a daunting thought to have a 10Mb connection though. Looking forward to trying it out. Like a kid with a new toy.

But I'm a patient man, I can wait.
Old 01-09-2005, 18:39   #710
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeuk
no slander intened on ntl but spin such as you can have 10 mb braud band for less than £20 works better than we have the least congested international pipes avaliable.
Although I haven't the foggiest idea what you're on about, to Cable Forum
Old 01-09-2005, 19:41   #711
mcmanic
cf.addict

mcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about them

Had to laugh
UK Online unveils 24 meg service
UK Online - the ISP that's part of local loop unbundling (LLU) outfit EasyNet - has confirmed it too is to offer 24 meg broadband.

The ISP launched an 8 meg service ten months ago and is now planning to build on that with the release of a 24 meg product from next month.

Although prices have yet to be confirmed the company said the service would cost under £30 a month.

In a statement Chris Stening, top dog at UK Online, said: "We've been pushing the current ADSL technology to its limits with 8Mb broadband since late last year."

Today's anouncement follows hard on the heals of rival ISP "Be", which revealed yesterday that it is planning a pilot of its 24 meg service in the London area.

Bulldog - another LLU operator which has been in the news recently for all the wrong reasons - is also telling its customers that it is planning to release a 20 meg service sometime soon.

So thats Uk Online with 20meg at £30,
Be Pilots with 24meg at £20 (as part of a trial)
Bulldog with 20meg

and we have NTL on 10meg and not available for everyone till end of next year (insert laugh here)
Old 01-09-2005, 19:45   #712
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Question Re: ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmanic
Had to laugh
UK Online unveils 24 meg service
UK Online - the ISP that's part of local loop unbundling (LLU) outfit EasyNet - has confirmed it too is to offer 24 meg broadband.

The ISP launched an 8 meg service ten months ago and is now planning to build on that with the release of a 24 meg product from next month.

Although prices have yet to be confirmed the company said the service would cost under £30 a month.

In a statement Chris Stening, top dog at UK Online, said: "We've been pushing the current ADSL technology to its limits with 8Mb broadband since late last year."

Today's anouncement follows hard on the heals of rival ISP "Be", which revealed yesterday that it is planning a pilot of its 24 meg service in the London area.

Bulldog - another LLU operator which has been in the news recently for all the wrong reasons - is also telling its customers that it is planning to release a 20 meg service sometime soon.

So thats Uk Online with 20meg at £30,
Be Pilots with 24meg at £20 (as part of a trial)
Bulldog with 20meg

and we have NTL on 10meg and not available for everyone till end of next year (insert laugh here)
Quick question...

How many of the above are available to everyone and if not, when?

Just that at least one of those mentioned is in the London area only and I can't say about the others.
Old 01-09-2005, 19:46   #713
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

Don't forget UK Online's 24mbit service is also unlimited
Old 01-09-2005, 19:47   #714
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Quick question...

Just that at least one of those mentioned is in the London area only and I can't say about the others.
And just to add to that where and how far from the exchange

Old 01-09-2005, 19:49   #715
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Quick question...

http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/exchangelist.php for a full list of exchanges it's available at. Don't forget it took a long time for NTL to enabled all it's areas. Peterborough was a good couple of years to receive broadband from NTL, after a lot of areas.
Old 01-09-2005, 19:52   #716
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber
http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/exchangelist.php for a full list of exchanges it's available at. Don't forget it took a long time for NTL to enabled all it's areas. Peterborough was a good couple of years to receive broadband from NTL, after a lot of areas.
So are you saying that these areas are ready for adsl2+

Old 01-09-2005, 19:54   #717
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C
So are you saying that these areas are ready for adsl2+
Presumably they will be when UK Online is ready to roll it out. I recall reading that they installed ADSL2+ capable equiptment when they kitted out the exchanges.
Old 01-09-2005, 19:55   #718
Mal
Inactive

Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I can only get 2meg from a BT line. So not everyone then
Old 01-09-2005, 19:57   #719
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I can only get 2meg from a BT line. So not everyone then
I can get 1mbit from my BT line. I also can't receive telewest, freeview, homechoice and various other services.
Old 01-09-2005, 20:01   #720
Mal
Inactive

Quote:
I can get 1mbit from my BT line. I also can't receive telewest, freeview, homechoice and various other services.
Well, if you're in a ntl area, you won't get telewest.

My original point was that the 24m service isn't available to all, which was contrary to the other poster's post, i.e. they were rolling it out to everyone before ntl.
Closed Thread