Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 02:51   #766
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
Re: ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Someone who knows whats going on. The real truth is the amount you can download is a bigger indication of what you get rather then max speed, especially when 10mbit you will be hard pushed to reach. Now before I offend my friend again, my point also goes to ukonline,bulldog and be for their 24mbit, it is all just a marketing gimmick. Ukonline's 500gig 8mbit is more then 75gig 10mbit tho.
What you have to remember is that most broadband customers are not interested in the speed of their connection or the usage policy applied to it. They only want to switch on their computer and have it do want they want it to. Over 95% of broadband customers will carry on just as they do at present and will only start to look at faster speeds and higher usage tiers when some mainstream application demands more than they get at the moment. Full screen HD streaming video being a prime example. All ISP's are looking at the needs of the 95% of the market and not at the high end very heavy users who think every BB user should be like themselves.
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2005, 09:44   #767
Downloads
Inactive

Downloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Downloads Send a message via MSN to Downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
After your remark against me, I will be inclined yo reply you want more tissues to wipe ntl's ass with. As anything saying they rock you find a good post.
No, as the other person said earlier you just make these sweeping inaccuracies that need correcting. I never said it was Universal, they were your words, calling it a lottery though is inaccurate. I like posts which deal in realism, not that big up NTL. NTL bashing (which you do a lot of) when comparing them with providers with a fraction of the people on their books isn't realistic. Fact: NTL will use a profitable model which they can deal to everyone. Fact: 2-bit providers purely basing their 24megs in London as we speak with half a dozen customers (i don't know the real number) can't be taken seriously on a forum which has customers Nationally.

When is my 24meg from be broadband going to get to Norwich?? Yeah right.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:33   #768
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruff_rhodes
No, as the other person said earlier you just make these sweeping inaccuracies that need correcting. I never said it was Universal, they were your words, calling it a lottery though is inaccurate. I like posts which deal in realism, not that big up NTL. NTL bashing (which you do a lot of) when comparing them with providers with a fraction of the people on their books isn't realistic. Fact: NTL will use a profitable model which they can deal to everyone. Fact: 2-bit providers purely basing their 24megs in London as we speak with half a dozen customers (i don't know the real number) can't be taken seriously on a forum which has customers Nationally.

When is my 24meg from be broadband going to get to Norwich?? Yeah right.
Or better still

Chrysalis

When will the 24 meg service be in LE which i think is your area. You seem to know a lot about other providers so that bit of information should not be hard to find.

As has been posted before NTL deal with far more customers that most of the Adsl providers put together and it would not cost the Adsl providers half as much to upgrade there systems and equipment as it does Ntl. The same can be said for the upgrade time frame as well.

I have said this before and i will say it again I live in the real world not the fantasy world or the world where statements made by someone become fact in their mind and are quoted as fact.

To be honest 10meg sounds great to me however just like others on this board i would like to see what NTL are going to offer on the unlimited side. I personally would be very happy if they offer me 3meg unlimited as speed is not everything. I when i download tend to download overnight and therefor speed is not a issue to me as i can wait that little bit longer for the download.

At the end of the day you take the service that is for you. If Ntl is not for you then try some other provider if that option is available

Old 03-09-2005, 10:46   #769
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

If ntl take up adsl2+ over the short runs from the cab to the home they will be using copper thats been there years rather than decades, they'll also free up mass's of bandwidth on the HFC network which will give unlimited upgrade potential for digital tv. Since all ntl's network will be short runs they should be able to g/tee 24mbit and faster to each customer. But its all down to investment. Ntl have already put their investment in the hfc network and really should look at changing the docsis to get faster speeds from that. In the long run I think you'll see lots of the smaller adsl providers closing or doing what the cable industry did and get bought out and bought out untill you have a large co. with many diff systems and technologies/standards and they will be in the same position as ntl.....
Old 04-09-2005, 01:42   #770
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C
Or better still

Chrysalis

When will the 24 meg service be in LE which i think is your area. You seem to know a lot about other providers so that bit of information should not be hard to find.

As has been posted before NTL deal with far more customers that most of the Adsl providers put together and it would not cost the Adsl providers half as much to upgrade there systems and equipment as it does Ntl. The same can be said for the upgrade time frame as well.

I have said this before and i will say it again I live in the real world not the fantasy world or the world where statements made by someone become fact in their mind and are quoted as fact.

To be honest 10meg sounds great to me however just like others on this board i would like to see what NTL are going to offer on the unlimited side. I personally would be very happy if they offer me 3meg unlimited as speed is not everything. I when i download tend to download overnight and therefor speed is not a issue to me as i can wait that little bit longer for the download.

At the end of the day you take the service that is for you. If Ntl is not for you then try some other provider if that option is available
I think I agree with you here, I am not too excited about 10mbit or 24mbit right now, on availability I am in ukonline's llu 8mbit range, wether or not 24mbit will be rolled out here come oct who knows. However I am happy with 2mbit or so max speed but just want a stable good performing service with higher cap or unmetered which hopefully ntl have plans for.
Old 04-09-2005, 17:42   #771
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

if i am given the choice of 10mb with a cap or 2mb unlimited then i would go for unlimited to. In my opinion 10mb with a cap would be like owning a ferrari when theres a fuel shortage
Old 04-09-2005, 17:48   #772
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
if i am given the choice of 10mb with a cap or 2mb unlimited then i would go for unlimited to. In my opinion 10mb with a cap would be like owning a Ferrari when there's a fuel shortage
Nicely put

Old 04-09-2005, 19:44   #773
mcmanic
cf.addict

mcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about them

indeed!,
Old 04-09-2005, 21:26   #774
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

what about those who want an unlimited 10mbit product and are willing to pay ?

shouldnt NTL cater to those people, i thought this was supposed to be broadband britain!
Old 04-09-2005, 21:28   #775
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Isn't there a cap discussion thread running
Old 04-09-2005, 21:36   #776
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxodriver
Isn't there a cap discussion thread running
Yes there is, Its over HERE

Old 04-09-2005, 21:44   #777
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

If I could afford a Ferrari fuel costs would be the last thing on my mind
Old 04-09-2005, 21:49   #778
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber
If I could afford a Ferrari fuel costs would be the last thing on my mind

So would surfing the internet

Old 04-09-2005, 21:54   #779
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C
So would surfing the internet
I would certainly be surfing something if not the net.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:51   #780
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
If ntl take up adsl2+ over the short runs from the cab to the home they will be using copper thats been there years rather than decades, they'll also free up mass's of bandwidth on the HFC network which will give unlimited upgrade potential for digital tv. Since all ntl's network will be short runs they should be able to g/tee 24mbit and faster to each customer. But its all down to investment. Ntl have already put their investment in the hfc network and really should look at changing the docsis to get faster speeds from that. In the long run I think you'll see lots of the smaller adsl providers closing or doing what the cable industry did and get bought out and bought out untill you have a large co. with many diff systems and technologies/standards and they will be in the same position as ntl.....
But they won't go this route, if anything in time the copper twisted pair will fall into disuse.
Sitting here in upstate NY watching a VOD PPV movie (i had the choice to buy it in widescreen or p&S too), surfing the net, making a VOIP "Digital Telephone" call and recording the Disney channel onto the HDD PVR. All running down the bandwidth on the HFC copper cable.
Digital Telephone is how the Cablecos in the US have moved to triple play. NTL don't even need to go there, but if they chose to do so they can take advantage of enhanced CLID which database lookups the incoming number and sends the name and number to the handset.

On top of this you can call up for a free upgrade to HDTV reception.

I'll try to remember to take some photos of the SACM+Digital Phone and the PVR/Menus etc to post later.

Really, the future is cable and the speed NTL are moving to have the services I see here is accellerating at a pace.
Closed Thread