Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase
Closed Thread

Old 31-08-2005, 04:46   #691
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age
Re: ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

Quote:
anyone else had a letter about upgrade next MONTH to 10mbit
just got the letter today

just hope that all these problems get sorted very soon
The "Bloke in the Pub" reported ages ago that ntl would be trying to bring in the 10Mbs in September, subject to all the upgrade work being completed on schedule.

I think the idea is that when the BT 8Mbs starts in November the media will have to give ntl a mention in the same breath, dumbing the BT speed increase to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeLLyMaN
FireFox has crazy download speeds at the start of a download, Or if its in the cache, But it could be real download speeds I guess. We'll just have to wait and see.
Windows/Firefox starts caching links when you enter a page, if you have enough memory and sit back a while when you enter the page then when you click the link the file will download (from cache) instantly. Now lets think about this, all this cached data is added to your download bandwidth, even if you don't click the link, not good.
Firefox/Linux does not cache links in the same way, so with Linux you can download more each month for the same bandwidth usage.
Windows tends to throw memory at everything in an effort to make up for its inadequacies.
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2005, 05:35   #692
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Can I ask now sorry for not reading back before I ask this but.

I am on 2mb with all there services with packs on, am I likely to get this upgrade in 2005 or late 2006? I would love it this year, if so would I have to get on 3mb quickly?
Old 31-08-2005, 06:09   #693
slowcoach
Inactive

slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxodriver
Can I ask now sorry for not reading back before I ask this but.

I am on 2mb with all there services with packs on, am I likely to get this upgrade in 2005 or late 2006? I would love it this year, if so would I have to get on 3mb quickly?
It all depends what ntl's strategy is, are they upgrading 3Mbs users first to encourage people on lower tiers to move up, or are they phasing things in gradually to confirm the infrastructure is coping as anticipated.

I imagine a lot of new customers will be joining ntl once the 10Mbs is rolled out, especially those with poor speeds on 8Mbs ADSL.
Christmas will be a big test with VOD available in many areas by then as well, ntl may be contemplating seeing how things go over Christmas before upgrading the lower tiers.

Unlimited tiers will be a low priority as they are only going to be attractive to the type of user that no ISP really wants if the truth be known.
Old 31-08-2005, 06:32   #694
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Thanks just I would need to justify to my gf who pays the broadband telly and phone, as I pay the water/eleccy/gas. Why broadband at 3mb is so important as I am the main user of the internet here right now.

So basically we do not know right now but going to 3mb can not be a loss considering the amount of internet I use ( I hardly sleep so its on most of the day unless we go out. )
Old 31-08-2005, 07:41   #695
Downloads
Inactive

Downloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Downloads Send a message via MSN to Downloads

Slowcoach, you started this thread ages ago didn't you? Doesn't the man in the pub know the upload! How about if l sub a pint or two?!
Old 31-08-2005, 10:36   #696
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxodriver
Thanks just I would need to justify to my gf who pays the broadband telly and phone, as I pay the water/eleccy/gas. Why broadband at 3mb is so important as I am the main user of the internet here right now.

So basically we do not know right now but going to 3mb can not be a loss considering the amount of internet I use ( I hardly sleep so its on most of the day unless we go out. )
I know what you mean, almost £10 a week seems a lot to me as well, but as I get so much pleasure from it I prefer to make cuts elsewhere.
The one consolation is that I do get the speed I pay for although the service has been a little dickey the past few weeks during the maintenance upgrades but it is better than ever now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruff_rhodes
Slowcoach, you started this thread ages ago didn't you? Doesn't the man in the pub know the upload! How about if l sub a pint or two?!
The problem with upload speed is that it isn't headline grabbing, that and the fact that cable infrastructure in this country was only intended to have adequate upstream.
The fact that ntl would prefer more customers on their capped top tier may just make them up it somewhat to tempt a few more souls, but I doubt if the uncapped tiers will be anything like as much, the P2P users are the ones likely to bring the locality to a grinding halt if they had a high upstream running 24/7.
If we are lucky we may get 768Kb upstream on the top capped tier whereas I cannot see the uncapped tiers getting more than 384Kbs.
You can bet that ntl will try to make the capped tiers the ones that 98% of people choose to go for.
Old 31-08-2005, 19:04   #697
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Current costs of BB
1Mb = £9.99 (14.99)
2Mb = £24.99
3Mb = £37.99

What exactly is 10Mb going to cost? Because as NTL say the upgrades will be at no extra cost. So does that mean that if you have a 1Mb service this will still cost the same 9.99 (14.99) on 10Mb?

If so this is not fair to those like me on the 3Mb service

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Old 31-08-2005, 19:04   #698
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Current costs of BB
1Mb = £9.99 (14.99)
2Mb = £24.99
3Mb = £37.99

What exactly is 10Mb going to cost? Because as NTL say the upgrades will be at no extra cost. So does that mean that if you have a 1Mb service this will still cost the same 9.99 (14.99) on 10Mb?

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Old 31-08-2005, 19:18   #699
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
Current costs of BB
1Mb = £9.99 (14.99)
2Mb = £24.99
3Mb = £37.99

I mentioned it earlier in the thread there will be differnt download limits depending on what you pay. So everyone gets the same speed but you will have a limit on your use. The only one I know is the 10MB will be 75GB per month.

So it will be like that I think-
10MB at 75GB = £37.99
10MB at ??GB = £24.99
10MB at ??GB = £17.99
Old 31-08-2005, 19:20   #700
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

thanx

Old 31-08-2005, 21:05   #701
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach
Windows/Firefox starts caching links when you enter a page, if you have enough memory and sit back a while when you enter the page then when you click the link the file will download (from cache) instantly. Now lets think about this, all this cached data is added to your download bandwidth, even if you don't click the link, not good.
Firefox/Linux does not cache links in the same way, so with Linux you can download more each month for the same bandwidth usage.
Windows tends to throw memory at everything in an effort to make up for its inadequacies.
Erm, purely out of interest what does Windows have to do with Firefox pre-fetching (which by the way happens on *nix as well as Windows, as astonishingly enough it's the same source code). I hope your bloke in the pub is better informed about ntl (he's wrong about your other point by the way) than you are about Firefox implementations.

Not entirely sure either what the above has to do with Windows munching memory to make up for its' inadequacies, whatever it's still a far more complete and mature desktop OS than any *nix variety, and all OSes cache content from hard drive to memory, this is why *nix and Windows have page files and .dll / lib caches

Upgrades in September?!?! Vapourware dude. That was never a consideration, before you say that any delay is due to upgrades not being finished on time. September was never even considered as a possibility.

Just saying that to save people on 30th of Sept saying 'Bloody ntl where's my upgrade the bloke in the pub promised me?'. Also correcting some of the typical *nix zealot Win bashing.
Old 31-08-2005, 21:16   #702
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

ouch
Old 31-08-2005, 21:41   #703
slowcoach
Inactive

The thing about the †œBloke in the Pubââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ is that he probably knows which office waste bins to rummage through, even if he is wrong this time he still has a better batting average than any other source, so I am going to stick with him.

Just checked Linux/Firefox and for once you are right it is caching links so we are all doomed, 75gig isn't going to be nearly enough for the casual website browser, we will have downloaded megabytes at the new faster speed whilst we are deciding not to download anything, if you see what I mean.
Old 31-08-2005, 21:49   #704
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach
The thing about the †œBloke in the Pubââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ is that he probably knows which office waste bins to rummage through, even if he is wrong this time he still has a better batting average than any other source, so I am going to stick with him.

Just checked Linux/Firefox and for once you are right it is caching links so we are all doomed, 75gig isn't going to be nearly enough for the casual website browser, we will have downloaded megabytes at the new faster speed whilst we are deciding not to download anything, if you see what I mean.
Will have to look for bin rummaging wallys when i am in the Oldham office then

Old 31-08-2005, 21:58   #705
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C
Will have to look for bin rummaging wallys when i am in the Oldham office then
Nice one, you can't beat Northern humour.
Closed Thread