Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection to BBC/Google etc?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connection to BBC/Google etc?

Old 23-03-2006, 17:38   #151
vileda
Inactive

Services: Sky+, ntl 1Mbit BB, NTL phone & Call18866, TH42PWD7
vileda is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Connection to BBC/Google etc?

Well something strange happened last night cos me and everyone else I know on NTL BB all of a sudden got new IP addresses, nowt unreasonable about that but we havent had a change for over 6 months, even after the issues of the 7th march.
vileda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-03-2006, 17:52   #152
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

My IP has remained the same.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 18:24   #153
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

My IP is the same as well.
IanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 18:24   #154
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Good news! The engineer has just been and updated my NTL 100 modem to a nice new shiny blue one!

And everything is working again and everything is much faster!

Good job NTL..

For once.. OO and they came in a telewest van :P
Hmmm, I wonder if they will replace my NTL120 on Saturday even though it appears to have revived itself overnight?

Time will tell...
Old 23-03-2006, 19:30   #155
Mystical
Inactive

Services: Sky TV VM 20Mbit BB VM Telephone
Mystical is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by netpollution
It's been a joke! All I kept getting was engaged tones and some bint saying "you're hearing an engaged tone". YEAH, LIKE I DON'T KNOW THAT YOU 'TARD!!!
What number did you dial?

08000522000, option 3, option 1

or

Mystical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 21:04   #156
OpLan
Inactive

Services: NTL 2Mb
OpLan is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible consequence of last nights disruption?

hi folks..
I was doing something offline last night when I noticed traffic on my cable modem.I thought for a long time that either spyware or some annoying updater was blabbing to daddy but I found nothing..
I eventually went to NTL to see if they were fiddling with things,and as they were having country-wide problems,I left it at that.
However..26 hours later,and I still have this constant conversation between my pc and the net.
I'm afraid network knowledge is still dennis wheatley mumbo jumbo black majik to me..but I downloaded a proggy called 'Show Traffic'
http://demosten.com/showtraf/
and it is showing traffic to and from "cache2.ntli.net" ..port 520 is listed and a trawl on the net for info led me to a thread on this board
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/ar...php/t-391.html
quoting BBKing
"It means that ntl networks have left RIP running on a cable interface, which is bad practice. They need to set the cable interface you're on to Passive in the RIP config."
I think this is virtually identical to my problem.
Is it going to affect online gaming?
How long is this likely to persist?
Thanks in advance for any help offered..
OpLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 16:56   #157
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

I think there is always traffic from everyones modem to the network, its a part of how it works, mine is generally measured in less than 1k, is yours a substantial amount ?
IanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 22:56   #158
OpLan
Inactive

Hi Ian,thanks for the response..sorry about the delay,I've stayed offline because I can't figure out whats happening.
I'm a PC learner and Network stuff is still Voodoo to me..heres a couple of screen shots of my firewall & traffic monitor..and no doubt they will be either huge or microscopic so apologies in advance.
Before the disruption on wednesday night,if I wasn't browsing or gaming online,there was no activity on my u/s or d/s lights..since wednesday night the traffic you see has been constant.
I've scanned my pc with anti-everything,I haven't installed anything recently apart from Show Traffic,which was installed to try to identify the addy it was coming from..when I unplug the modem from my pc,the D/S light still flashes..
Old 26-03-2006, 07:51   #159
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

Oplan,

It's perfectly normal for your u/s and d/s to flash on and off - it is usually just the modem communicating to the NTL proxy servers to say "Hello I'm here, are you?" to which the server will reply "Yep, I'm here are you still here?" to which your machine replies, "yes I'm here, are you still there?" ad infinitum. It's how the Internet works.

The other reasons that there may be constant activity is virus or spyware on your pc, which you say you have thoroughly checked or someone is port scanning your pc (and probably everyone else in your local area) to see if they can get in. Don't worry about that either as you have a firewall that will block any attempts to get in (and 99% of the time you have to have a trojan horse on your pc or an old version of lsass.exe or some other not updated windows program listening at the port for access anyway).

Talking about Port Scanning, the source ip in your second picture is an NTL DNS server. A DNS server is the machine that takes an internet address such as google.com and changes it to an IP address so that your browser can go there. I was reading on another website that the latest attack vector by hackers to disrupt networks is to bombard the DNS servers of that network with random rubbish and IP addresses, thus slowing down the servers - which is what happened a few weeks ago and probably on Wednesday night. They can use the DNS servers to port scan for open ports with their already compromised machines listening behind them and use those machines to attack again. Hiding behind a DNS server gives them a further level of anonomity. Someone (usually more than one) using that NTL proxy has probably got a hacked PC (they won't know they have) and it is bombarding the DNS server, which is firing out port scans at you - but Mcafee is blocking it. It is not a personal attack at you - I bet your whole area is suffering, and it will pass soon when the compromised machines either get cleaned or their bot masters move them on to another IP range when they can't access your pc.

I'm as paranoid as you can get when I'm online, and I don't think there's anything to worry about with your situation.

Sime
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 08:42   #160
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

If people are sure it's a DNS issue then they could get a copy or tree walk and fix it permanently.

http://ntcanuck.com/
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 12:17   #161
Andys_Ipod
Inactive

Andys_Ipod is an unknown quantity at this point

I just lost all service completely in my area for about an hour

After calling ntl i was told " we will get an engineer out tomorrow as its a fault with your box " Hmmm funny that as i am now back online.

Am seriously going to look at what other ISP i may switch to as just about had enough with nthell now.
Andys_Ipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 12:49   #162
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys_Ipod
I just lost all service completely in my area for about an hour

After calling ntl i was told " we will get an engineer out tomorrow as its a fault with your box " Hmmm funny that as i am now back online.

Am seriously going to look at what other ISP i may switch to as just about had enough with nthell now.
Thats exactly what happened to me!

They booked an engineer for yesterday but he never came, called to chase him up but the nice indian chap said to wait a while longer...
Old 26-03-2006, 13:09   #163
Andys_Ipod
Inactive

Andys_Ipod is an unknown quantity at this point

How about this for a shock ......

Just had a call from ntl asking if my service is ok now and all running smoothly ( is anything smooth on ntl ? )......i laughed and said yeah for now (but who knows how much longer), so engineer has been cancelled - saves me another call to cancel it lol
Andys_Ipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 16:08   #164
OpLan
Inactive

thanks for the info grubbymits..I think I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to do a college course in PC Voodoo.. I guess its my ignorance thats the biggest problem here..its just that I've never seen activity like this before.
Do you think online gaming will be affected?
I'm really missing my flight sim heh..I don't want to go to my usual (american) servers as people can really whinge if you fly with a messed up ping..
I sent off an Email to NTHell describing my problem,and would you believe someone actually replied asking for more details! so I pointed them at this thread..It might have been actually easier to call them,but I only have a pay to talk mobile phone,and I wanted to get independent thoughts before I have to listen to RoboScot for 3/4 of an hour..
Apart from this latest incident,I've always been quite happy with NTL..I think my biggest gripe is getting offers for new customers in my bill,and seeing my package offered either cheaper than what I'm paying,or seeing it come with extras that I don't receive..I think the latest one is a free phoneline..I don't want a phoneline as I seldom use a phone..hence the mobile..but it would have been nice to have been offered it..same as when I upgraded from the half meg package..I had the one meg service for about 6 months before I discovered one bored afternoon that I had access to various video vaults etc..
but then again..its my ignorance of network knowledge that keeps me happy here..I don't know enough to fully appreciate the quality of service of this or any other ISP..I know I should rectify that..but theres a lot to learn about PCs..I tend not to tinker if its not broken..but when I do see something it can bug me for weeks..like this unknown modem activity - Ive been online almost 3 years now and this is the first time I've seen it happen.Even though I believe you when you say its nothing to worry about,it's still annoying the hell out of me!
Old 26-03-2006, 21:43   #165
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

I know nothing about online gaming. I rarely play offline let alone online. I get the same way when I can't work something out with my pc, but keep at it and you'll suss it.
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote