Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin superhub + ps3 connection problem's

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Another superhub question

Old 14-07-2011, 15:25   #1
thelongmile
Inactive

thelongmile is an unknown quantity at this point
Another superhub question

Will the superhub break my toe when I drop kick the thing out of the window?

Yes hello everyone. I'm adding to the fairly large list of superhub customers with massive superhub problems.

After google has helped me out by linking me to you guys so much over the years I thought I'd register and let you all know since I know theres a few virgin staff who wander the forums and I know there are a number of you who like keeping logs of just how bad this device is. Hopefully if I find a fix, I'll post it in here so google can serve others in the future, although if anyone has any other suggestions, they would be welcome.

I have a VMDG480, and I've had it for less than 24 hours. If I connect to it's WiFi on any available channel, on 2.4, or 5 GHz it drops out. When I say drops out, I mean it either locks up and takes one of the indicator lights out (data transfer or the wifi light, one goes out, the other goes solid) or it takes both of those lights out. Either way it needs a reset to get it to work.

The only way I can get things to work now are by using my old router as an access point... which works for a period of time until such time as the router locks up entirely as above and that's it.

I've noted that there are apparently two superhubs floating around, the VMDG480 and another, but I couldn't find the model number of it's smaller or bigger brother.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

Oh, yes, sorry should probably add that we've dropped the data rate to 145, set a static channel number, turned off the firewall, turned on the firewall and turned off IP flood. Four hard resets, 10dBm attenuator on, 10dBm attenuator off, used exclusively as a modem and wifi through the other access point, used with cable only, used without other access point, with guest network on, and with guest network off...

Oh and it's 50 MB and I get 58% signal strength when I'm less than 3 foot from the unit with direct line of sight
thelongmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-07-2011, 15:42   #2
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack
Re: Another superhub question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelongmile View Post
Oh and it's 50 MB and I get 58% signal strength when I'm less than 3 foot from the unit with direct line of sight
This is the biggest problem for me, which I'm convinced is the cause of the drop outs. Mine is in the middle of the house and I get a better signal from next door's router..
The range on it is pants. Cheap hardware.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 16:06   #3
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

If it flat-out refuses to work with anything connected at all you have a faulty one and need to call it in as such.

It certainly has a lot of problems but WiFi completely failing to work right from the outset isn't (sfaik) one of them.

Regarding your initial question - so long as you are wearing normal shoes you should be OK. Avoid venting your frustration in this way while wearing Jesus boots, flip flops, or similar.

HTH.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 17:54   #4
thelongmile
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
This is the biggest problem for me, which I'm convinced is the cause of the drop outs. Mine is in the middle of the house and I get a better signal from next door's router..
The range on it is pants. Cheap hardware.
Can't argue with you there. From 3 foot I should see an immediate drop of around 25% max and then a slightly steadier drop off through the house. A little worse if it's on 5 GHz. Given it's Netgear inside I'm a little surprised, but at least pleased that they are using a named brand. I suppose this means it's theoretically possible that replacement firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato will get pushed, although this would be in violation of the TOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
If it flat-out refuses to work with anything connected at all you have a faulty one and need to call it in as such.

It certainly has a lot of problems but WiFi completely failing to work right from the outset isn't (sfaik) one of them.

Regarding your initial question - so long as you are wearing normal shoes you should be OK. Avoid venting your frustration in this way while wearing Jesus boots, flip flops, or similar.

HTH.

Has now been called in! Thanks, always worth asking before I waste any time!

I'll ensure I'm wearing normal shoes.

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Oh just to update. The engineer actually turned up about half an hour ago and replaced the unit. I thought all was well and It's cut out on my now 5 times so far if anything is connected to the WiFi on 2.4 or 5 GHz, meaning that it's almost totally un-usable as even a cable modem. Data rate is at 145... and that's all I get before it locks up.
Old 14-07-2011, 22:23   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Bad batch?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 00:07   #6
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

How many of you using the Superhub have noticed an approximate reduction in upload speed of 50%

My VMNG300 has 4.8meg upload but the Superhub only gave me 2.4meg.
No amount of fiddling sorted this so i reverted back to the VMNG300.
Old 15-07-2011, 00:49   #7
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
How many of you using the Superhub have noticed an approximate reduction in upload speed of 50%

My VMNG300 has 4.8meg upload but the Superhub only gave me 2.4meg.
No amount of fiddling sorted this so i reverted back to the VMNG300.
Last I heard was a problem with Cisco UBRs.. Dunno if they fixed it though
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 06:01   #8
thelongmile
Inactive

I don't suppose this would be an issue with it being a Mac? I work in the industry so I doubt it but I'm open to ideas at this stage, especially given my mac seems to kill an orange livebox... But then that was an orange livebox and I had no faith in it anyway
Old 15-07-2011, 09:36   #9
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelongmile View Post
I don't suppose this would be an issue with it being a Mac?
I wouldn't have thought so as a Mac user myself, we can get a bit spoiled with the fact that everything just works straight out of the box, and expect it all the time with new stuff

I persevered with the wireless side of the Hub for 3 days, but had to abandon it due to the issues recorded above and its general patchy coverage

I configured it to act as a modem and put my Time Capsule back into my network to take care of the wireless function,( I was waiting for R28 before I did this )

Wola no more wireless problems back to the normal Apple reliability

The Hub is great as a wired modem but its wireless performance is not good IMO
Old 15-07-2011, 11:46   #10
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf288 View Post
Last I heard was a problem with Cisco UBRs.. Dunno if they fixed it though
Or maybe we should say it is another superhub problem when the said hub is connected to a Cisco UBR?

I never heard of any other router having issues when connected to a Cisco UBR.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 22:23   #11
thelongmile
Inactive

Indeed I've now bypassed my superdud router and stability has improved. The connection speed fluctuates wildly though!