PDA

View Full Version : MERGED - Euro 2004

Pages : [1] 2 3

Damien
12-06-2004, 19:48
Euro 2004 talkhttp://www.usa-sports.net/cup/img/euro2004_logo.gif

This is a topic set up to discuss euro 2004, it is set up so that euro 2004 does not enter into the football discussion topic and end up confusing topics such as transfers and what have you. Permission was granted by a mod in football discussion

So talk about matches and draws here and the chances for each team of winning the tournament.

Links you may find useful
BBC matchs wallchart (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2004/results/default.stm)
BBC Euro 2004 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2004/default.stm)
Euro 2004 site (http://www.euro2004.com/)

So what do people think of the hosts losing their first game?

MadGamer
12-06-2004, 19:57
Portugal 1 Greece 2

Don't forget the Spian vs Russia match at 7:45pm

Russ
12-06-2004, 20:16
I'll go on record and say there is no way on earth England will win, if they do I'll become a Gooner fan for the entire 2004-05 season :)

Tricky
12-06-2004, 20:23
I'll go on record and say there is no way on earth England will win, if they do I'll become a Gooner fan for the entire 2004-05 season :)

And my prediction is they won't even see the quarters! - They'll come 3rd in the group losing out on goal difference...
:shocked:

danielf
12-06-2004, 20:24
I think Portugal were very poor. There were so many crosses from the left with noone on the receiving end in the second half... A good performance by the Greeks though...

Damien
12-06-2004, 20:31
I have put a £15 pound bet on germany to win, although they are not my favorites to actually win they had odds of 16-1 and germany are a good side so i thought it was worth it

Avrils_knickers
12-06-2004, 20:33
no wonder portugal lost ronaldo was playing

Russ
12-06-2004, 20:34
eh?

Damien
12-06-2004, 20:37
no wonder portugal lost ronaldo was playing

1) Thats a real bad joke
2) if it isn't a joke then you really shouldn't be talking about football

paulyoung666
12-06-2004, 21:19

oh i do so hope you are proved wrong :D :D :D :D :D

Russ
12-06-2004, 21:31
We both know it won't happen ;)

paulyoung666
12-06-2004, 21:41
We both know it won't happen ;)

me feels a wager coming on , now what shall it be ????????????? :D :D :D :D

Damien
12-06-2004, 21:52

I tell you what if england win I will give you a rep point if they lose you will send me £100. What'ya say

paulyoung666
12-06-2004, 22:10
I tell you what if england win I will give you a rep point if they lose you will send me £100. What'ya say

ahhhhhh now i was thinking more of a virtual wager , £100 is a bit rich for me :D :D :D :D :D

Damien
12-06-2004, 22:17
Fine, I will make a virtual bet but its got to be something good

Paul
12-06-2004, 22:22
Tell you what Damien - since you want to bet reps - If England win I will green rep you, if they don't, I will red rep you. You do the same (win = red rep me, lose = green rep me). :D

Marge
12-06-2004, 22:29
I think Italy will do it, might be worth a small flutter

Proppinupthebar
12-06-2004, 22:32
If Wales win, I'll move and declare my love of Lancashire.

Hang on, Wales never qualify do they.

I frickin hate Scumshire.

:D

Russ
12-06-2004, 22:40
If Wales win, I'll move and declare my love of Lancashire.

Hang on, Wales never qualify do they.

I frickin hate Scumshire.

A traditional English tactic - when someone makes a negative comment about yout national team, instead of defending it, take the cheap way out instead by attacking their team :D

Damien
12-06-2004, 22:42
Tell you what Damien - since you want to bet reps - If England win I will green rep you, if they don't, I will red rep you. You do the same (win = red rep me, lose = green rep me). :D\

Hey Hey Hey

I dont think england will win I an betting against england

Paul
12-06-2004, 22:45
\

Hey Hey Hey

I dont think england will win I an betting against england

Damn - you spotted my plan ... :)

MadGamer
12-06-2004, 22:45
Spain 1 Russia 0

paulyoung666
12-06-2004, 22:48
Tell you what Damien - since you want to bet reps - If England win I will green rep you, if they don't, I will red rep you. You do the same (win = red rep me, lose = green rep me). :D

wouldnt that be rep anhilation (sp) though , hang on i thought i was betting with russ anyway :D :D :D :D

Proppinupthebar
12-06-2004, 22:50
A traditional English tactic - when someone makes a negative comment about yout national team, instead of defending it, take the cheap way out instead by attacking their team :D

The traditional Welsh tactic, don't qualify!! Works everytime.

Saves money I suppose. No need for a Trophy Cabinet!! ;)

I still hate Scumshire.

Proppinupthebar
12-06-2004, 22:51
Spain 1 Russia 0

I've got Spain in our sweepstake.

Mal
12-06-2004, 22:57
I still hate Scumshire.

Don't worry, the feeling is mutual! :D

I've got Spain in our sweepstake.

I've got Portugal in ours. I thought that they'd at least get to the semis, where I'd get my money back! Though it's not over till the fat lady sings ;)

Steve H
12-06-2004, 22:58
The ref in the spain/russia match was a disgrace.

Whats the point in flipping yellow carding a player for making a challange. Most of, if not all of the supposed Yellow card challanges were dubious.., For example that Russia guy who got sent off... He went for the ball and got nutmegged!? What's he supposed to do? Disapear ?!

Quite obvious that ref has never kicked a ball in his life.

paulyoung666
12-06-2004, 23:06
The ref in the spain/russia match was a disgrace.

Whats the point in flipping yellow carding a player for making a challange. Most of, if not all of the supposed Yellow card challanges were dubious.., For example that Russia guy who got sent off... He went for the ball and got nutmegged!? What's he supposed to do? Disapear ?!

Quite obvious that ref has never kicked a ball in his life.

not wrong i reckon that bodycheck was disgraceful , and the ref went so what :mad: :mad: :mad: , i hope the standard improves :tu:

Marge
12-06-2004, 23:10
Just watching 100 Greatest World Cup Moments and Wales's last appearance was 1958 :rofl: :erm:

Russ
12-06-2004, 23:13

I'm not a gambling man but if you notice, I've already said I'd be an Arse fan for the entire 2004-05 season :)

Just watching 100 Greatest World Cup Moments and Wales's last appearance was 1958

....just 8 years before the last time England won anything :) :D

Proppinupthebar
12-06-2004, 23:20
I'm not a gambling man but if you notice, I've already said I'd be an Arse fan for the entire 2004-05 season :)

....just 8 years before the last time England won anything :) :D

We've qualified a few times since tho.

The welsh are an extremely proud nation. But why?

Hehe, that should get a reaction!!! :angel:

Russ
12-06-2004, 23:24
Ahh, I get it, you can only be proud of your country if your national team does well!!

And there's me thinking it was only Man United supporters who were glory hunters!

Marge
12-06-2004, 23:28
Ahh, I get it, you can only be proud of your country if your national team does well!!

And there's me thinking it was only Man United supporters who were glory hunters!

Come on Russ, tell us all about Wales's proudest moments................

I'm got a spare postage stamp you can write on the back of :D :D

Russ
12-06-2004, 23:30
Beating Argentina about 2 years ago, beating Germany around the same time.....getting the closest to qualifying in the Euro games in 30 years, not bad for a team which gets about a 10th of the funding that England does!

Proppinupthebar
12-06-2004, 23:30

I'm a Doncaster Rovers supporter. We aren't many and all of us expect the worse.

If my national team are doing well then I have something to talk about, I don't just spout nonsense because I am english.

What exactly are you so proud of? :p:

Russ
12-06-2004, 23:33
What exactly are you so proud of? :p:

See the above plus when we beat Italy too :)

But of course, unless we qualify for each major tournament (and end up failing to get past the quarter/semi finals year after year, each time coming out with new and better excuses such as "it was Beckham's fault" and "it was Southgate's fault" and the more recent "it was Seaman's fault") then we simply don't have the right to be proud, do we??

Still - Owen says England can do it this year (just like Becks said they could win it last time) so success is certain, isn't it??? :D

Proppinupthebar
12-06-2004, 23:46
See the above plus when we beat Italy too :)

But of course, unless we qualify for each major tournament (and end up failing to get past the quarter/semi finals year after year, each time coming out with new and better excuses such as "it was Beckham's fault" and "it was Southgate's fault" and the more recent "it was Seaman's fault") then we simply don't have the right to be proud, do we??

Still - Owen says England can do it this year (just like Becks said they could win it last time) so success is certain, isn't it??? :D

So your proud cos you don't get anywhere but occasionally win the odd game!!
Same thing as Donny Rovers then!!

Except we have been promoted two years running!!!
Dave Penney's Red and White army marches on!!!

Russ
13-06-2004, 00:38
We're proud because they're our national team.....but of course it shows great depth of character when you are only proud when your national team does well.....what do they call that? Fair-weather supporting? :D

Aww come on, let's all get behind England - I don't really wish them to fail in the semi/quarter finals.....even though deep down we all know they will!

Mal
13-06-2004, 00:40
We're proud because they're our national team.....but of course it shows great depth of character when you are only proud when your national team does well.....what do they call that? Fair-weather supporting? :D

Aww come on, let's all get behind England - I don't really wish them to fail in the semi/quarter finals.....even though deep down we all know they will!
Aww come on...I wanted Wales to get to the finals...but that may be just because Sparky is in charge ;)

Proppinupthebar
13-06-2004, 00:41

Good for you.

To be fair I don't follow football, except for Donny Rovers. I probably won't even watch England tommorow. Unless the fairweather england supporter in my girlfriend wants to!!

Damien
13-06-2004, 00:47
what are you strange funny people on about?

Cant we all just agree we wont win?

Russ
13-06-2004, 00:49
Cant we all just agree we wont win?

Now this is a first......an Arse fan makes a suggestion and I agree 100% :eek: :D

danielf
13-06-2004, 00:56
Oh dear. I was hoping this thread was going to about sensible discussion concerning the day's matches, but I see it's quickly degraded into a home nations slanging match.

To Debs: Yes, I'm watching C4 right now. Great stuff!

Damien
13-06-2004, 01:05
Now this is a first......an Arse fan makes a suggestion and I agree 100% :eek: :D

Ohhhhh what about these then....

Henry is the greatest
Monster raving loony party should win next election
Elvis is still alive
I know the meaning of life
The real leader of the free word is, of course, paul merton
I see dead people (on tv, in old films)
the list is over

Russ
13-06-2004, 01:06
BS to the first 6 :D

But this thread was mant to be about England's latest failure....erm, I mean Euro 2004.

Mal
13-06-2004, 01:07
Sorry, but can we get back on topic please! :D

Desaily(sp?) out, will that be a help or not?

There, a serious question! :D

Damien
13-06-2004, 01:09
Oh dear. I was hoping this thread was going to about sensible discussion concerning the day's matches, but I see it's quickly degraded into a home nations slanging match.

To Debs: Yes, I'm watching C4 right now. Great stuff!

ARRHHHHHH PIERS MORGON....NOOOOOO....HE STILL IS THERE! GOD HELP US...GOD HELP US ALL...especially me

Damien
13-06-2004, 01:11
Sorry, but can we get back on topic please! :D

Desaily(sp?) out, will that be a help or not?

There, a serious question! :D

Well if he is out because he has become our new defender than its good news

on the other hand we will be to worried about keeping the french away from the goal to worry about the other end

Mal
13-06-2004, 01:15
Well if he is out because he has become our new defender than its good news

on the other hand we will be to worried about keeping the french away from the goal to worry about the other end
Pardon? :confused:

danielf
13-06-2004, 01:47
I was impressed by Spain today. They should have scored more, but they played a high pace game and always looked threatening (especially in the first half hour).

For now, Greece and Spain seem most likely to get to the quarters. Before anyone writes off Greece, they topped the qualifying group that also featured Spain. They actually beat them in Spain...

Damien
13-06-2004, 01:51
Pardon? :confused:

thats what i mean, too many locks not enough doors, oh yes

Mal
13-06-2004, 01:54
I was impressed by Spain today. They should have scored more, but they played a high pace game and always looked threatening (especially in the first half hour).

For now, Greece and Spain seem most likely to get to the quarters. Before anyone writes off Greece, they topped the qualifying group that also featured Spain. They actually beat them in Spain...
Though, according to Motty, they only scored 8 goals throughout the qualifiers, which means they must have a good defence at least ;)

thats what i mean, too many locks not enough doors, oh yes

Okay :dozey: :erm:

sir_drinks_alot
13-06-2004, 02:37
note to england team

don't go breaking my hart :)

carlingman
13-06-2004, 03:52
Amazes me how much hatred from Man U fans are shown towards Gooner/Chelsea/Liverpool players throughout the season yet when the likes of Cole/Gerrard/Owen and Co are representing England then all seems to be forgotten.

BBKing
13-06-2004, 10:15
Well, I dislike Man U intensely but I'm willing to admit that Paul Scholes is a very talented player (apart from tackling). Ditto Chelsea and Lampard.

I think it'll be tight tonight, I'm not convinced France are going to come out all gun(ners) blazing, but I just think they've got the edge in a couple of key areas (wide midfield and creative play mainly). They aren't unbeatable, I'm not impressed by Barthez, Thuram at centerback, Makelele with his Chelsea form or Trezeguet up front.

Russ
13-06-2004, 10:17
Amazes me how much hatred from Man U fans are shown towards Gooner/Chelsea/Liverpool players throughout the season yet when the likes of Cole/Gerrard/Owen and Co are representing England then all seems to be forgotten.

I agree - it was amazing how hated Beckham was when he was at United - now he's in Spain, it seems to have been 'forgotten'.

timewarrior2001
13-06-2004, 10:33
England have 4 hopes of winning anything.

Bob Hope
No Hope
Envel hope
and .....

Antel hope.

I'd sooner bet on which flight they will be arriving back at Luton on.

Probably the first one out of portugal I'd say around the 21st June :p:

Avrils_knickers
13-06-2004, 12:49
Enlgand are playing wales soon in october i think,so we will see then.

I think spain did play well in a way they are like england a talented team,but never seem to make it past the quater finals.What is wrong with some english people always slagging there own team off,at least we qualify which is more than a lot of other countries we should eb proud of that.

Russ
13-06-2004, 13:58
Enlgand are playing wales soon in october i think,so we will see then.

We'll see 'what' then?

Damien
13-06-2004, 14:22
We'll see 'what' then?

England vs Wales

sherer
13-06-2004, 14:26

I'm supporting Spain as my other team because England have no chance of winning it. It's abit like watching England as they have alot of talent just never put it all together. Was expecting more from Spain yesterday they didn't play that well in the final third as would have liked to have seen Juaqin start as well

Damien
13-06-2004, 14:56
I am supporting germany as my second team as i win £80 if they win and then france cos i am half french and they play great football

danielf
13-06-2004, 15:04
I am supporting germany as my second team

And you're coming onto a public forum to admit that? :Yikes: :disturbd: (jk :) )

Russ
13-06-2004, 15:04
England vs Wales

Well yes that's obvious but the original comment looked as if something will be 'sorted out' then :confused:

Graham F
13-06-2004, 15:08
roll on tonight England v France...

I will be sitting in a bar in the south of France when England win... just cant wait :)

2 - 1 to England I think..

danielf
13-06-2004, 19:54
Switzerland-Croatia 0-0

I don't think either of these teams will be a threat to England or France.

It looks like tonight's match is for place one and two in the group...

Marge
13-06-2004, 19:55
roll on tonight England v France...

I will be sitting in a bar in the south of France when England win... just cant wait :)

2 - 1 to England I think..

Hi Scooby, have got your pm and sorting it out for you :tu:

Enjoy the match and the sunshine :wavey:

paulyoung666
13-06-2004, 20:15
come on england

come on england

come on england

come on england

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Damien
13-06-2004, 20:32
Here we go! If we lose this i am dead (my mums french)

Russ
13-06-2004, 21:26
They've scored?!?

Paul
13-06-2004, 21:29
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss !!

Stuart
13-06-2004, 21:31
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss !!
*sings 1-0, 1-0, 1-0, 1-0 ad infinitum..

Damien
13-06-2004, 21:32
Please Please Please please

keep it up

TigaSefi
13-06-2004, 21:33
lol, great match, evenly poised :D Roll on Second half.....

kronas
13-06-2004, 21:33
wtf england 1-0 up against france, after 11 games they concede wtf....

that was a great first half preformance, as i always said owen is crap, gary neville needs to push down the right handside more often though, and lampard needs to go forward more instead of his deep role....

he did go forward for the freekick though :D

Please Please Please please

keep it up

if they play like that i might start believing that they can win this match, even go further in the tourniment (my prediction quarter final stage)

MadGamer
13-06-2004, 21:34
Did you hear what the fans were saying to the French? "Your not singing, your not singing, your not singing anymore. Your not singing anymore."

Nice free kick by Beckham

Stuart
13-06-2004, 21:46
They've scored?!?
Russ.. You know what the papers will be full of tommorrow now... :D

Russ
13-06-2004, 21:47
Yeah - BS ;) :D

Stuart
13-06-2004, 21:50
I just have to say it again. 1-0 :D

kronas
13-06-2004, 22:03
ah........they are letting france back in to the game......thats dangerous, rooney needs to watch himself.....

Tricky
13-06-2004, 22:10
Who on earth employed Bobby Robson as a commentator on ITV (Where's the FanZone Option?) - England are looking well dodgy at present.

Marge
13-06-2004, 22:12
Glad to see Owen off, he's hardly done anything at all. Come on England, two more goals please :D

Tricky
13-06-2004, 22:15
Beckham = T****R
Should have let Rooney take it

Paul
13-06-2004, 22:16
Noooooooooo - what a **** poor penalty :(

kronas
13-06-2004, 22:19
Beckham = T****R
Should have let Rooney take it

too harsh, he has taken penalty's before and they have usally gone in.

were still winning....

taking rooney and scholes off = bad idea as they both were playing well......

Paul K
13-06-2004, 22:28
Rooney was waaaay too close to a red card to be left on the pitch. Not long to go now and then we can all remind Russ about the score ;)
*waits for equaliser ;) and possible banning for inciting the latest DVLA recruit to violence against his keyboard*

Paul
13-06-2004, 22:30
/bites nails furiously .......

Marge
13-06-2004, 22:30
I'm having palpitations here and bawling at the tv :fit:

Stuart
13-06-2004, 22:32
Good stuff this.

mrm1
13-06-2004, 22:32
3 min Extra time......Edge of seat stuff. Free kick to france. I cany look !!!

Stuart
13-06-2004, 22:33
Damn!

mrm1
Arrrrrrgh 1-1

Paul K
1-1 what a suprise. Last minute lack of concentration again :(

Paul

Stuart
13-06-2004, 22:34
Come On!

Paul K
oh dear, looks like we are in bother

Paul
Wtf

kronas
a spectacular free kick by zinedine zidane......

EDIT: wtf did james do ? zidane steps up to take the penalty.... 2-1 to france :erm:

Marge
****ing Hell It's All Gone To Pot

mrm1
13-06-2004, 22:35
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Stuart
****e

Tricky
Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul K
13-06-2004, 22:36
Well done Mr James and the idiot that gave that ball away :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

MadGamer
13-06-2004, 22:36
We F*****g well lost it. We just don't learn.

Paul
13-06-2004, 22:37
Ffs

Russ
Once again England demonstrate they simply cannot compete against world-class opposition.

Don't ya just love Calamity James :D

Damien
My god i knew we where crap but this takes the ****

Stuart
Once again England demonstrate they simply cannot compete against world-class opposition.

Ahem, where are the Welsh?

TigaSefi
13-06-2004, 22:38
I blame the ITV Commentators, they jinxed us by saying this the first time we'd win the opening game :( :( :(

Marge
Well done Mr James and the idiot that gave that ball away :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mr Scouse Bloody Gerrard :fit:

Russ

The difference is we KNOW we're not world class :D

Other home nations seem reluctant to accept the truth.....

Damien

Its that git from liverpool who cocked up along with heskey the other git from liverpool and if owen played better it would have been all right I HATE LIVERPOOL

kronas
My god i knew we where crap but this takes the ****

im just totally bemused by it all, then again i was also bemused at james's selection over robinson.........oh well, lets look ahead to the next game...

Stuart
13-06-2004, 22:39
The difference is we KNOW we're not world class :D

Other home nations seem reluctant to accept the truth.....
At least we got in...

Paul K
Chim says you need to watch that cough ;)
Is it me or is Mr R Davids' timing a little suspicious on his post LOL Were you waiting to see the result Russ? :p:

Paul

Not his fault that idiot passed it back like that - and if that to**er had scored our penalty it would all have been over long ago.

Yet another suicide game, just like against Rumania.

Caspar
13-06-2004, 22:40
WTF is that all about.....1-0 at the way and some french n0ob gets two in the dying seconds...there's no justice in that :(

Russ
13-06-2004, 22:40
At least we got in...

Yep and on today's performance, you'll be getting right back out a hell of a lot quicker :p:

Stuart
13-06-2004, 22:41
Chim says you need to watch that cough ;)
Is it me or is Mr R Davids' timing a little suspicious on his post LOL Were you waiting to see the result Russ? :p:
Not all of the welsh are bad..

Paul K
Its that git from liverpool who cocked up along with heskey the other git from liverpool and if owen played better it would have been all right I HATE LIVERPOOL
Don't hold back now, you say what you mean ;)
Anyone want to guess how many headlines relating to David James being crap appear tomorrow?

Russ
*runs off to find the lyrics to Oasis' "Stop Crying Your Heart Out".....

Tricky
13-06-2004, 22:42

That Git (Gerrard) has run his socks off for 90 mins - more than any other player on the field and has been in almost every position including defense. But yes, he screwed up...Why take off Owen and Rooney?! are we mad!? :confused:

How James escaped a sending off I don't know - He's saved some good shots in the 2nd half but I'd still bring Robo on for the next game...

O well propping up the group again! :Yikes:

Stuart
13-06-2004, 22:42
Yep and on today's performance, you'll be getting right back out a hell of a lot quicker :p:

:erm: :rolleyes: :p: :D

TigaSefi
13-06-2004, 22:43
The commentator goes "the french players will be hearing about this result for the rest of the next season"... bam.. goal.... tw&ts!!!

Stuart
13-06-2004, 22:43
*runs off to find the lyrics to Oasis' "Stop Crying Your Heart Out".....*hits Russ..

Russ
13-06-2004, 22:44
It's a shame Big Ron wasn't in Portugal....it would be interesting to catch his off-camera opinion of Calamity.....

Steve H
13-06-2004, 22:46
Absoulutly speechless.

First half England dictated most of the play, Second half they played exactly how Sven wanted them too. They let france come at them, but didn't give them any gaps.

Very Very Very Lucky. Guess the welsh, scots and irish love it. Mind you, that's all they can do.. leer at other peoples failures since they never make any recognisable achievements themselves.

kronas
13-06-2004, 22:46
It's a shame Big Ron wasn't in Portugal....it would be interesting to catch his off-camera opinion of Calamity.....

:rofl: that just made me laugh harder than i previously was at what just happened :rofl: :rofl:

Russ
13-06-2004, 22:47
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13126779,00.html

His optimism has been echoed by captain David Beckham who believes the side can "go all the way" in the tournament.

Yep, "all the way" back to Heathrow :rofl:

Mind you....if England DO end up winning, I'll never live this down :erm:

Very Very Very Lucky. Guess the welsh, scots and irish love it. Mind you, that's all they can do.. leer at other peoples failures since they never make any recognisable achievements themselves

Very x3 unlucky? France were all over you.

And no recognisable achievements? For a natioanl team who has to get by on a pitance of funding, I'd say beating Italy, Germany and Argentina plus narrowly missing out on Euro 2004 was pretty good going!

And I suppose England's "recognisable achievements" was just the one occasion almost 30 years ago?

paulyoung666
13-06-2004, 22:47
i dont f@cking believe it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Xaccers
13-06-2004, 22:49
So does this mean England is out and we can go back to normal life?

Paul K
13-06-2004, 22:49
Very Very Very Lucky. Guess the welsh, scots and irish love it. Mind you, that's all they can do.. leer at other peoples failures since they never make any recognisable achievements themselves.
Oooo thats fighting talk *snigger* What makes me think there will be a reply from Russ before I get to post this ;)

paulyoung666
13-06-2004, 22:50
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13126779,00.html

Yep, "all the way" back to Heathrow :rofl:

Mind you....if England DO end up winning, I'll never live this down :erm:

and i reckon you wont , i mean come on , england did play well , apart from the last 5 mins , wtf was james thinking of , calamity james says it all :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

TigaSefi
13-06-2004, 22:51
No we got two more games that we can give away goals at death doors before it all over here :(.... I am beside myself with anger and disbelief..... jeez......

Steve H
13-06-2004, 22:52
Very x3 unlucky? France were all over you.

Ya wha? :confused:

Did you watch the game?

France had majority of the ball second half but hardly had ANYTHING in front of goal. They had possession, but couldn't even make anything of it, even with the worlds 2 best players.

Yes, they were lucky. They got a NEEDLESS freekick, and gerrard makes his only mistake at the most crucial moment.

Seem to remember the welsh had a substantial amount of funding pumped into their national team before the Euro 2004 Qualifiers.

Steve H
13-06-2004, 22:54
So does this mean England is out and we can go back to normal life?

Nah, England didn't win the first game in the group stage at the last European championship iirc... They only need a draw and a win to go through, and judging from Crotia and the Swiss's performance it's attainable.

Paul K
13-06-2004, 22:54
Fight, fight, fight ;) ModWars.... coming to a screen near you soon ;)

Russ
13-06-2004, 22:55
Ya wha? :confused:

Did you watch the game?

Yeah I watched it - England's best moments were around Lampard's goal. The rest was France. They didn't get much on-target but then again, neither did England really. As I've said, England simply cannot compete with world-class teams.

Seem to remember the welsh had a substantial amount of funding pumped into their national team before the Euro 2004 Qualifiers.

You remember incorrectly :)

Fight, fight, fight ModWars.... coming to a screen near you soon

Nah....mod versus admin - a bit like England versus France......

*legs it

Dave Stones
13-06-2004, 22:56
it all went downhill when mr. ikea took off rooney and put on that great lummox of a donkey heskey... should never have taken rooney off ;)

ah well, everyone's a critic when it goes wrong aren't they? :)

Paul K
13-06-2004, 22:57

You remember incorrectly :)
Hang on..... I chipped in a fiver and I didn't get any change :mad:

Russ
13-06-2004, 22:58
Awww come on.....when England play Wales in the autumn we don't have a chance and you guys will be all over me so be good sports and let me have my moment :D

Xaccers
13-06-2004, 22:59
Nah, England didn't win the first game in the group stage at the last European championship iirc... They only need a draw and a win to go through, and judging from Crotia and the Swiss's performance it's attainable.

Damn, and there I was getting my hopes up :D

KingPhoenix
13-06-2004, 22:59
Yeah I watched it - England's best moments were around Lampard's goal. The rest was France. They didn't get much on-target but then again, neither did England really. As I've said, England simply cannot compete with world-class teams.**** you!

France were damn ****ing LUCKY!!!

I dont see the sheep shaggers ANYWHERE!

Dave Stones
13-06-2004, 23:00
**** you!

aww come on, he is only jealous cos his country doesn't have a football team ;)

:Yikes:

kronas
13-06-2004, 23:01

yep true, and russ dont forget getting to a tourniment and participating in it is alot better than failing at the qualifying stages.

Paul K
13-06-2004, 23:01

*legs it
What? You want to be made to look stupid for 90 mins before you are given the win?
;) :p: :D
Now about that Rugby.......:notopic:
*runs*

Paul K
13-06-2004, 23:03
OOooooooh Russ how's the knife-vest working out? Looks like you hit a nerve today LOL ;)

swoop101
13-06-2004, 23:04
Hang on a minute people, England play like a bunch of ******s and we attack the Welsh!! :shocked:
What about looking at our team and discussing who to kick in the balls for letting us down.

Russ
13-06-2004, 23:06
**** you!

ooOOOOOooooo!!!

I'll tell you where we were - where we always are, sitting at home watching England begining their usual run of never getting past the semi finals :D

It's true Wales aren't as good, I'm not stupid enough to think otherwise - but the difference is we never kid ourselves that we can mix it with world-class teams or even worse, win a major tournament.

Hang on a minute people, England play like a bunch of ******s and we attack the Welsh!!
What about looking at our team and discussing who to kick in the balls for letting us down.

Sir I salute you. You are the first England supporter I've respected in this thread. However you forget it's a national sport for the English to take their losses out on other teams rather than analysing where the problems truly lay.

You of course buck the trend. Have 5 rep points :)

Paul K
13-06-2004, 23:07
Hang on a minute people, England play like a bunch of ******s and we attack the Welsh!! :shocked:
Too many balls, too little time ;) You can blame the entire team for the game as a whole, we had enough chances to end it :mad: Anyway... the Welsh are easy targets when it comes to football... it's not as though they can play it;) *kidding Chimmy :kiss: *
Not that she is sat next to me as I type

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:08
Someone explain something for me. We're defending a 1-0 lead, and when we have the ball (e.g. goal kick), we hoof it up field to the French so they can bring it back and have another go. Why do we ALWAYS do this? Surely we need to keep the ball?

The great defending teams like the old Italian teams used to pass it around to hold onto a slim lead. I don't think our morons will ever learn! :rolleyes:

Paul K
13-06-2004, 23:11
Someone explain something for me. We're defending a 1-0 lead, and when we have the ball (e.g. goal kick), we hoof it up field to the French so they can bring it back and have another go. Why do we ALWAYS do this? Surely we need to keep the ball?

The great defending teams like the old Italian teams used to pass it around to hold onto a slim lead. I don't think our morons will ever learn! :rolleyes:
That would rely on them learning to pass the ball to their own side ;) Not gonna happen LOL
Nice sig by the way :D

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:14
That would rely on them learning to pass the ball to their own side ;) Not gonna happen LOL
Nice sig by the way :DAh! I knew there was a reason :D As for the sig, England need as much luck as possible.....well they do now!!!

*EDIT* - mind you, the football team has done as expected, and the rugby union team have turned to ****........
.......but at least the cricket team is doing the business! ENG 3 - NZ 0 Well done!

Russ
13-06-2004, 23:15
So who will the press blame this time? Beckham for missing the penalty, Gerrard for 'that' pass or Calamity for being a donkey? Certainly spoilt for choice this time....

djstevie
13-06-2004, 23:16
Cant blame David James for the goals.....had no chance with the Zidane free-kick and he should NEVER have been asked to deal with the backpass that Gerrard made... As for the Becham penalty...dont think he could have hit it any better...just shows what a world class keeper Barthezz can be ....Still England fans must be gutted....Thought i was watching the Scotland games of old where we actually had a half decent team and we'd screw it up in the final minutes...mind you thats going back a bit :D :D

TigaSefi
13-06-2004, 23:17
Heskey, cos if he did his damn job properly , then gerrard wouldn't have felt the need to return the ball to James and he wouldn't have needed to go and kiss henry's feet......

MadGamer
13-06-2004, 23:17
Fight, fight, fight ;) ModWars.... coming to a screen near you soon ;) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

swoop101
13-06-2004, 23:19
Too many balls, too little time

Well I have got big feet, so get them round here and I can sort them out 3 at a time ;)

I don't even follow the game that much, but I know when the players are too happy playing a game of tig rather than stand up for the sporting Honor of the country.

The dancing overpaid fairies need to try playing together to thrash the arse of everyone else.
Why is it that whenever they pass forward they just play it straight to the enemy instead of our men (one or two exceptions), don't they understand that to score you need to keep possession of the spherical object to propel it into the opposing net.

The thing that is going to annoy me more than anything else is all the bull**** that is going to fill the first 15 pages of the papers in the morning.

Derek
13-06-2004, 23:20
Guess the welsh, scots and irish love it.

We sure do. :)

I was actually wanting them to win for about 5 seconds and then the commentary started. After that and numerous mentions of World Cups and Johnny Wilkinson it was France to win all the way.

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:20
I just think they're all to blame. The idea of everyone retreating to the 18 yard box, and not making a single challenge until just outside. Then booting the ball up field to the French so they can return it again. Total crap! Only British teams do this, so it's a disease of our game.

Russ
13-06-2004, 23:21
I just think they're all to blame. The idea of everyone retreating to the 18 yard box, and not making a single challenge until just outside. Then booting the ball up field to the French so they can return it again. Total crap! Only British teams do this, so it's a disease of our game.

Ahh another English trait - when you lose it's "Britain" but when you win it's "England".......

djstevie
13-06-2004, 23:23
Ahh another English trait - when you lose it's "Britain" but when you win it's "England".......
You have a point there :tu:

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:23
Well, it is. England do it. Scotland do it. Wales do it. Both Irish teams do it. So it must be a product of our game. No-one on the continent plays this way.

MetaWraith
13-06-2004, 23:24
gets ready to wander down to bookies tomorrow with my winning slip
mind you at the end there i really thought i was going to be tearing it up.

(I'm 1/2 Welsh, 1/2 Scot and bet against the English as a matter of principle)

Steve H
13-06-2004, 23:24

*legs it

Remembers he has a ban button too :p: :D

swoop101
13-06-2004, 23:25

It was his fault, everyone down to meet him at the bookies. :p:

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:26

Well you'd have to bet against England because you could never bet for Scotland or Wales as they don't get to many finals, do they?:D :D :D

Russ
13-06-2004, 23:27
Well, it is. England do it. Scotland do it. Wales do it. Both Irish teams do it. So it must be a product of our game. No-one on the continent plays this way.

Yes yes but in 1966 and in the rugby last year, was it a great win for Britian?? :D

Remembers he has a ban button too

*remembers that mods cannot ban admins....however the reverse is possible.... ;)

Well you'd have to bet against England because you could never bet for Scotland or Wales as they don't get to many finals, do they?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise England make a habit of being successful in finals :D

However IIRC, Scotland seem to qualify quite regularly.....

KingPhoenix
13-06-2004, 23:27
They didnt let us down..... Well James might of at the very end when he went for waht seemed the most stupidest tackle in the world

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:31
Yes yes but in 1966 and in the rugby last year, was it a great win for Britian?? :D
You don't mind going back a bit do you? 1966.........

and who's talking about Rugby? I'm on abaout a particular way "home" teams play football, and don't forget a lot of players in these teams play or at least started out playing in the English (& Welsh!!!) or Scottish leagues.

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:32
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise England make a habit of being successful in finals :D

However IIRC, Scotland seem to qualify quite regularly.....
Better than Scotland or Wales.......

And IIRC Scotland never have got past the first round :D :D

Russ
13-06-2004, 23:33
You don't mind going back a bit do you? 1966.........

and who's talking about Rugby? I'm on abaout a particular way "home" teams play football, and don't forget a lot of players in these teams play or at least started out playing in the English (& Welsh!!!) or Scottish leagues.

I'm not disagreeing with you - perhaps I'm not clarifying what I mean.

When England lose or go through a bad run, it then becomes a 'British' thing. But of course when they win, it's then just "England".

Double standards.

punky
13-06-2004, 23:34
There are 3 things you can count on: 1. Death, 2. Taxes, and 3. The Welsh and Scottish taking the pi** when we lose.

Russ
13-06-2004, 23:36
Better than Scotland or Wales.......

I've never said otherwise!

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:37
I'm not disagreeing with you - perhaps I'm not clarifying what I mean.

When England lose or go through a bad run, it then becomes a 'British' thing. But of course when they win, it's then just "England".

Double standards.
I think you're reading things into peoples comments. When England are crap, yes England are to blame, but if it's something that afflicts all "home" teams it can surely be called a British problem. If England win (as in the Rugby) but play totally different to any other of the home teams, England can claim credit. Having said that, I do think the Welsh rugby team is getting better year by year!

:Yikes: Did I say that? Oh no! :shocked:

MadGamer
13-06-2004, 23:38
Wasn't it terrible when Barthez got smacked in the face by Beckham taking that penalty/

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:39
There are 3 things you can count on: 1. Death, 2. Taxes, and 3. The Welsh and Scottish taking the pi** when we lose.
That's true :D I remember when we stuffed Holland in the Euro finals.......and nearly everyone I was with wanted us to score that extra goal to get Scotland through. I don't think the Scots would have felt the same about England.

Mind you is it just that we slightly prefer the Scots to the Dutch? :D

swoop101
13-06-2004, 23:40
Wasn't it terrible when Barthez got smacked in the face by Beckham taking that penalty/

Mrs swoop nearly wet herself when that happened. :p: :rofl:

KingPhoenix
13-06-2004, 23:41
Having said that, I do think the Welsh rugby team is getting better year by year!

Now we know your taking the ****

P.s. Russ, i will NOT edit my posts to suit you,

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:44
Now we know your taking the **** :D :D :D

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:45
Not hard enough!:)

Caspar
13-06-2004, 23:46
ok peeps, this thread is getting a bit heated :(

Can all Welsh, Scottish and Irish people please refrain from posting as you clearly don't have a clue what football is all about!!! :rofl: :D

Tho, serisouly guys...play nice :)

KingPhoenix
13-06-2004, 23:48
Can all Welsh, Scottish and Irish people please refrain from posting as you clearly don't have a clue what football is all about!!!
You heard the man Russ.... now back off!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

abailey152
13-06-2004, 23:48
ok peeps, this thread is getting a bit heated :(

Can all Welsh, Scottish and Irish people please refrain from posting as you clearly don't have a clue what football is all about!!! :rofl: :D
I heard Wales once got the the finals of the Subuteo championship!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

KingPhoenix
13-06-2004, 23:51
I heard Wales once got the the finals of the Subuteo championship!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edit::: looks around waiting for Russ to add more fuel to the fire

Russ
14-06-2004, 00:41
It seems as though some people have taken offence to my comments about the England team and tonight's performance. No malice was intended as I regarded it as usual good-natured footballing banter but if anyone felt it was too much, this was not my intention and I apologise.

abailey152
14-06-2004, 00:48
No offence taken m8..........

I just think we're all a bit ****ed off at losing after the 90th minute. If it had been 10 - 0, it perhaps wouldn't have been so irritating.

carlingman
14-06-2004, 00:56
It seems as though some people have taken offence to my comments about the England team and tonight's performance. No malice was intended as I regarded it as usual good-natured footballing banter but if anyone felt it was too much, this was not my intention and I apologise.

Dont worry Russ, I guess they are just sore losers :D

Most are quick to rib the Welsh when we lose.

On tonights game Engalnd have no one but themselves to blame.

You would think however with a few Man U players in there they would know how to play for longer than 90 mins ;)

Class free kick from the greatest footballer of this decade Mr Zedane, they could have been 4 David James in there and they wouldnt have stopped that one.

And it amazes me how James stopped on the field from trying to rescue a pathetic back pass from Gerrard and then deliberately lunged feet first at another class player Thierry Henry.

Nice to see Henry honouring the tradition that he never takes the penalty which is given from himself being fouled.

Again Zidane showed them how a penalty should to be taken just like Barthez showed them at the other end how a penalty should be saved ;)

I expect the news will break soon of how well behaved the England fans were after the game not.

abailey152
14-06-2004, 01:07
Most are quick to rib the Welsh when we lose.Well, at least we qualifyed on the pitch, and didn't try to qualify via the high court! ;)

Okay David James wouldn't be my first choice keeper, but you can hardly hold up Barthez as the model keeper. He's either brilliant or daft, and can be both in the same game.

carlingman
14-06-2004, 01:21
Well, at least we qualifyed on the pitch, and didn't try to qualify via the high court! ;)

Okay David James wouldn't be my first choice keeper, but you can hardly hold up Barthez as the model keeper. He's either brilliant or daft, and can be both in the same game.

Myself am actualy glad we (Wales) never qualified via the courts.

I would very much preferred to have seen Wales there on merit not on a technicality.

Still in Russias case cheats never prosper so we will have to wait and see on that score.

As for James he didnt exactly have a lot to do but failed when it mattered, discounting the Zidane free kick but was there any need for him to go in feet first against Henry I think not.

If he stood up then it might have been a different story.

Bathez well as youd said he was daft tonight nearly picking the ball up from back pass but on the flip side you have to admit that was some save from Beckhams penalty.

Ok it was the right height and he went the right way but still a good save.

abailey152
14-06-2004, 01:30
As for James he didnt exactly have a lot to do but failed when it mattered, discounting the Zidane free kick but was there any need for him to go in feet first against Henry I think not.

If he stood up then it might have been a different story.
Agreed. I thought he could have done better. He might not have stopped it, but his challenge was pathetic. But as I said, I don't think he's our best keeper. However, Erikson does, and he's the boss!

Barthez well as youd said he was daft tonight nearly picking the ball up from back pass but on the flip side you have to admit that was some save from Beckhams penalty.

Ok it was the right height and he went the right way but still a good save.

IIRC he's always been a good penalty saver. Some keepers are. David Seaman was very good, but Peter Shilton was terrible. Both were good keepers though, so it's a handy trick, but not an absolute requirement.

Jerrek
14-06-2004, 01:35
Eh, come on England, don't let the f'ing french win...

danielf
14-06-2004, 01:38

someone appears to be on a timewarp... (and not reading the thread)

abailey152
14-06-2004, 01:48
Too late....they have :cry: :fit:

punky
14-06-2004, 01:52
IIRC he's always been a good penalty saver. Some keepers are. David Seaman was very good, but Peter Shilton was terrible. Both were good keepers though, so it's a handy trick, but not an absolute requirement.

True, although James did dive well, just not in the right direction. If Zidane shot at the right side of goal, James would of saved it.

danielf
14-06-2004, 01:53
Too late....they have :cry: :fit:

Frankly, judging by this afternoon's game (SWI-CRO), I think 3 points may be enough to qualify for the quarter finals. Four points definitely will be.

abailey152
14-06-2004, 01:59
Frankly, judging by this afternoon's game (SWI-CRO), I think 3 points may be enough to qualify for the quarter finals. Four points definitely will be.
Yes, hopefully we'll get through anyway. And at this stage you just don't know whether coming second will mean an easier or harder route. It just depends on how well the other "big" teams start.

So all is not lost. It just ****es me off losing in the 90+ minute of a game. And against the French. Arrgghhh!:mad:

TigaSefi
14-06-2004, 09:50
It 9am and I am still seething........at work.... should be fun :p:

Damien
14-06-2004, 10:49
3 points will not be enough as it means one of the other two teams will win so france will have at least 3 points and the other team will have 4 so 3 would mean we have the same as france and they will go though as they beat us

danielf
14-06-2004, 10:54
3 points will not be enough as it means one of the other two teams will win so france will have at least 3 points and the other team will have 4 so 3 would mean we have the same as france and they will go though as they beat us

Sorry. My mistake. Four points is likely to be enough.

Stuart
14-06-2004, 11:06
Well, courtesy of the BBC, we can relive the excitement from multple angles and at multiple speeds.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/virtualreplay/euro2004/

Nugget
14-06-2004, 11:19
At least we played well for the 90 minutes - unfortunately, we couldn't keep the concentration for the last few minutes (and, I think it's fair to say, Gerrards mistake didn't help).

On the plus side, I thought King played brilliantly and, on that peformance, should keep Terry out of the team for Thursday, and Rooney was great until he started getting a little bullish.

There were definitely positives and they should be heartened by the way they played, even if the result went against us.

sherer
14-06-2004, 11:59
just a few points of note..

For all you knocking the Welsh i was watching the game with my Welsh mate, as I do nearly every England game and he went just as mental as the rest of us when we took the lead. In fact the only sport he don't follow England is rugby which is understandable.

Secondly the pub i was watching the game in had employeed several attractive barmaids and given them tight fitting England tops to wear. They then compounded this error by allowing other attractive women into the pub as well. Now when i'm trying to watch my football particularly a major tourney i don't want to be distracted.

As for the match itself we weren't very good. In the first half we were too narrow. Scholes had drifted in from the left which was expected but Becks did the same from the right. We never had any width and everyone got in each others way. At HT i thought Sven would MANAGE the side and get us to corrrect this but he didn't :Yikes: :Yikes: Also when France started to come into the game we just gave the ball away and hoofed it up the field. The ball was missing all our midfielders and strikers couldn't get it and so it kept comming back. I thought Sven would MANAGE the side hear and shout onto the pitch to change tactics but he didn't. :Yikes: :Yikes: He then replaced the strikers with Heskey and Vassell who still couldn't get the ball because we were just kicking it away anywhere instead of playing it out of the box. He should have taken off Owen and put on Nicky Butt of someone to hold up the midfield and play the ball out of the box.. I'm loosing what little faith i ever had in Sven. When does he ever actually manage the side or change tactics during a match!!! He doesn't even seem to be watching half the time and he never shouts orders to the team..

if Rooney had passed to Vassell before he was fouled he could have scored and then pen miss wouldn't have mattered. The Becks pen wasn't far enough over, watch it next to the Zidane one and see where he put his. Not sure why James went for the ball to give away the pen it was going to run out anyway. Didn't stand a chance with the free kick but was abit of a Phil Neville tackle on the edge of the box from Heskey.. If we weren't being so negative Gerrard wouldn't have played back to the keeper anyway.

Alot to work on for next game least both of those teams looked rubbish :)

Need to keep out shape better and leave our wingers on the wing then the full backs can overlap which never really happened yesterday

abailey152
14-06-2004, 12:58
Secondly the pub i was watching the game in had employeed several attractive barmaids and given them tight fitting England tops to wear. They then compounded this error by allowing other attractive women into the pub as well. Now when i'm trying to watch my football particularly a major tourney i don't want to be distracted.
Where's this pub then?.....as I don't mind being distracted. :naughty: :D

Also when France started to come into the game we just gave the ball away and hoofed it up the field. The ball was missing all our midfielders and strikers couldn't get it and so it kept comming back.

My major gripe, too. And we always do it. It just doesn't make sense at all.

He then replaced the strikers with Heskey and Vassell who still couldn't get the ball because we were just kicking it away anywhere instead of playing it out of the box. He should have taken off Owen and put on Nicky Butt of someone to hold up the midfield and play the ball out of the box..

I partly agree. I thought he might have took Rooney off as he was looking likely to be booked or worse. But bringing Heskey on....no way. Vassell would have been quick enough to cause some grief up front on his own, so we should have shored up the midfield (Butt).

I think James has to be one of our worst first-choice keepers. There's better than him. He's useless in a crisis.

Owen might have well not been on the pitch. He's over-rated. If he ain't scoring, then he's doing nothing. He can't dribble or pass.

Gary Neville was mostly useless. He rarely got down the wing, and when defending, he just backed off letting France get a cross in every time.

Okay....rant over! :rant:

orangebird
14-06-2004, 14:17

That principle being...???

Graham F
14-06-2004, 15:09
OMG how we lost in injury time i will never understand!!!

I was in a bar full of french just went to the bar to get a celebration pint, by the time i got it france had won :(

debs you are an :angel: will buy you a drink or 2 when/if i meet you at some point

roll on thursday!!!

orangebird
14-06-2004, 15:33

Damien, please - use a little punctuation!!! :spin:

Nugget
14-06-2004, 15:43
Damien, please - use a little punctuation!!! :spin:

But OB - he did use little punctuation :p:

gazzae
14-06-2004, 15:50
I was cheering England on last night as I always do in the big championships where NI or ROI aren't there.

Though I did think the comentators spoke too soon, remember one stage Clive going on about how the french players wouldn't hear the end of it next season, and what about old Bobby and Lesley King!

Good to see Henry doing his usual big game stuff.

sherer
14-06-2004, 15:53
the only good point from last nights game is that I don't think France will win if they play like that :)

even worse just realised what that could mean. Another easy win for the German's :mad: :mad: :mad: :td:

danielf
14-06-2004, 18:51
As a little light relief, I thought this (http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3797259.stm) was quite funny... :)

MadGamer
14-06-2004, 19:43
Denmark 0 - Italy 0

Don't forget Sweeden vs Bulgaria tonight ITV1 7:30pm

iadom
14-06-2004, 22:28
Wow, that headed goal by Larrson has to be one of the best headed goals I have seen, fantastic. Up to now the worst sides that I have seen are the Swiss and Croatia. If England don't get out of their group they want kicking.

Mal
14-06-2004, 22:39
Good match, the Sweden v Bulgaria. Pretty even until the 2 Larsson goals

danielf
15-06-2004, 00:09
Wow, that headed goal by Larrson has to be one of the best headed goals I have seen, fantastic. Up to now the worst sides that I have seen are the Swiss and Croatia. If England don't get out of their group they want kicking.

You're not wrong there. It'll be interesting to see how the Swedes do against Italy. Denmark-Italy was an entertaining game, I think the Swedes may give Italy a run for their money as well.

abailey152
15-06-2004, 01:26
Just seen the highlights of both games. Larrson looked sharp for Sweden. But Italy looked poor against Denmark....and that foul by Totti should have seen him serving a ban. Very nasty, and it definitely looked a deliberate act from the replay.

danielf
15-06-2004, 01:49
Just seen the highlights of both games. Larrson looked sharp for Sweden. But Italy looked poor against Denmark....and that foul by Totti should have seen him serving a ban. Very nasty, and it definitely looked a deliberate act from the replay.

Yes, I don't think Totti even tried to go for the ball (I'm not a big fan of him or Italy anyway). Prematch comments suggested Italy would take Denmark apart, but in fairness, I think Denmark played really well and took the game to the Italians. Interesting group. I'd like to see the Denmark and Sweden go through. I never thought I'd say this about Sweden, but they have some impressive strikers, and actually play an attractive game.

abailey152
15-06-2004, 01:52
Agreed. :tu: I think Sweden will be a threat this time around.

danielf
15-06-2004, 02:15
Tomorrow's big match: Germany v Holland (7.45, BBC1)

Go Holland!!!!!

sherer
15-06-2004, 11:07
you are saying Czech Republic v Latvia isn't a big match ?

danielf
15-06-2004, 11:15
you are saying Czech Republic v Latvia isn't a big match ?

That's exactly what I'm saying. It could be a big score though :D

TheBlueRaja
15-06-2004, 12:07
Cracking game last night - really enjoyed Larsson's goals. Bulgaria were pretty unlucky though.

sherer
15-06-2004, 12:33
yeah right up to the second goal Bulgaria were still in it. They even shaved the post 30 seconds before Larsson scored. Even if he does play in Scotland still really rate him as a player. Deservers to go to a Barca, Milan etc and show everyone what he can do.

Couldn't believe this was a reply of the third place play-off of the 94 World Cup. Just shows how poor that tourney was and we didn't even qualify for it :(

iadom
15-06-2004, 13:52
Stop press: Nicky Butt out of Euro 2004 . UEFA refuse the FA's request to bring in Scott Parker. (Source) Key103 radio news...

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/euro2004/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/06/15/EURO_England_Lead.html

Nugget
15-06-2004, 13:58
That could prove a problem if Lampard gets injured as Butt is still a very good holding midfielder (which, TBH, we probably could have done with on Sunday).

Who does that leave us with? If we take our first choice four as Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes (if he's fit), am I right in saying that only leaves Joe Cole and Owen Hargreaves? If that's the case, then I can't see why UEFA won't let us call somebody else up - Butt's injury was sustained while training at the tournament, so I can't see the problem.

On the other hand, maybe they won't let us call Scott Parker up 'cos he's been cr@p since he moved to Chelsea - how's about trying for Gareth Barry? At least he's a proven left sided player.

sherer
15-06-2004, 17:05
could always play King or Terry as a holding midfielder.. King has done this for Spurs.. Just shows how weak the rest of our squad is outside of the starting 11..

danielf
15-06-2004, 18:47
Half time score: Czech Republic 0 Latvia 1... What are the odds on that?

iadom
15-06-2004, 18:48
The Latvian keeper is having a blinder, Man Utd put six past him when he played for Arsenal.

sherer
15-06-2004, 18:57
he never played for Arsenal he played Crystal Palace.. i think they were talking about some of the defenders Stenanovs or someone like that

iadom
15-06-2004, 19:47
he never played for Arsenal he played Crystal Palace.. i think they were talking about some of the defenders Stenanovs or someone like thatYep I got them mixed up, more English league players here than I can keep track of.

Paul K
15-06-2004, 19:50
2-1 now to Czech Repuclic, can Latvia reply?

sherer
15-06-2004, 19:51
2 mistakes from Kolinko gifted the win to Czech

danielf
15-06-2004, 19:52
2-1 now to Czech Repuclic, can Latvia reply?

Not anymore. Still, they put up a brave fight. Kudos to the Latvians...

iadom
15-06-2004, 22:36
Germany, Holland 1-1. Germany much the better side IMHO, brilliant finish from Van the Man.

danielf
15-06-2004, 23:28
Germany, Holland 1-1. Germany much the better side IMHO, brilliant finish from Van the Man.

This was one the worst performances I've ever seen by the Dutch team. Only when they put on Van Hooydonk did they start to look threatening. Advocaat has a lot of work to do before they meet the Czech Republic...

Steve H
15-06-2004, 23:38
It's alleged that one of the French football players has failed a drugs and alcohol test after the match. If this is confirmed as positive, under World Football Federation rules, paragraph 6 sub section 2e, France will forfeit the first group match 3-0.

Source : Linky (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/homerio-news.jpg)

danielf
15-06-2004, 23:42
It's alleged that one of the French football players has failed a drugs and alcohol test after the match. If this is confirmed as positive, under World Football Federation rules, paragraph 6 sub section 2e, France will forfeit the first group match 3-0.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

For a moment I considered making a remark about Wales & Russia...

Russ
15-06-2004, 23:42

Footballers shall not wear pink ribbons attached to their nasal hair whilst taking penalties??

abailey152
16-06-2004, 00:27
Footballers shall not wear pink ribbons attached to their nasal hair whilst taking penalties??
:rofl:

abailey152
16-06-2004, 00:28
Get your own back on the French. Have a look at http://www.panlogic.net/frog/

sherer
16-06-2004, 11:20
we'll we've seen all the teams play and so far none of them look good enough to win it yet. Even though the Swedes have the best result Bulgaria game them a run for their money for 60 mins..

Was impressed with Latvia yesterday but up a god performance just hope they can keep it up against the other teams in their group..

homealone
16-06-2004, 11:42

I have to admit I don't watch a lot of football, but did anyone else think the amount of shirt pulling/arm holding etc, in this match, was excessive? Van Nistelroy's goal was exceptional - especially as the defender had him in a bear hug, when he scored it.

sherer
16-06-2004, 11:46
it goes on all the time now.. what really annoys me :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: is the diving and cheating that goes on.. How can any top ref \ the FA \ UEFA \ FIFA think that the standard human reaction to getting kicked in the face like that German \ Brasil bloke Kuranyi was is to cover your face go ARRRGGG and then roll over 6 times in each direction !! :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

if that was the case what would boxers do when they got kicked...

It seems only the refs and the governing bodies think rolling on the floor 15 times after a slight touch is believable and then 2 minutes later they can sprint for 40 yards..

It's been going on since the first game of the tourney and really should be stopped.. They are meant to be sportsmen.

danielf
16-06-2004, 11:49
I have to admit I don't watch a lot of football, but did anyone else think the amount of shirt pulling/arm holding etc, in this match, was excessive? Van Nistelroy's goal was exceptional - especially as the defender had him in a bear hug, when he scored it.

Yes, I saw some footage on BBC where they showed how one of the German defenders was holding Van Nistelrooy during corners. Completely unacceptable.

iadom
16-06-2004, 11:51
Bolton are to fine their Greek midfielder' Stelios, a weeks wages under club rules for getting cramp whilst playing against Portugal in Euro 2004.:disturbd:

Nugget
16-06-2004, 12:01

TBH, after such a poor start to the game, Frings could only get better :erm:

homealone
16-06-2004, 12:02
Yes, I saw some footage on BBC where they showed how one of the German defenders was holding Van Nistelrooy during corners. Completely unacceptable.

The corners were very messy, weren't they, I got the impression during one of them, that the players were so intent on pushing & shoving each other, they hardly realised the ball had arrived :erm:

danielf
16-06-2004, 17:50
Uefa have started disciplinary proceedings against Totti for spitting at Poulsen during Italy-Denmark. He could face a three match ban.

http://www.euro2004.com/News/Kind=1/newsId=194049.html

sherer
16-06-2004, 20:11
ok but what about all the diving and cheating that has been going on or is that allowed ?

danielf
16-06-2004, 20:24
ok but what about all the diving and cheating that has been going on or is that allowed ?

It's called the beautiful game for a reason I suppose :)

Spain-Greece 1-1. Tonight's loser goes home, unless it's Portugal, who are home already.