Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

Old 23-02-2004, 12:21   #1
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

Hi All....

Here is a step by step guide to setting up shared access to your broadband service from NTL.....

If any parts of the guide confuse you or you are unsure about any aspect of the setup please post and we will be happy to help you.

Step 1.

Power down all your equiptment. That includes the set top box / Stand alone cable modem, router and all computers. Next connect the cable modem / set top box to the routers wan port. The wan port should be clearly marked on the router. The type of cable you need to use depends on the modem you have. Check the back of your set top box for the cable type.

Step 2.

Connect the computers or playstation's to the routers ports. Most routers have 4 ports on them. The cables between the router and the clients must be normal cat5/6 network cable. Do not use cross over cables as this can cause problems with comunication.

Step 3.

When all the cables have been conected you are ready to power up all of your equiptment. First you need to power up the cable modem or set top box. It is very important that you let the cable modem/set top box settle down before proceeding. You now need to power up the router. The router will take a few minutes to settle down. The wan light ( if present ) should now be lit. You are now ready to power up your computer. Only power up the one computer for now. Once you have configured one computer you will find it easy to set up the rest. Once the pc has booted into windows you need to check the ip address of the computer. Do this by clicking on the start button and then clicking on run. In the box that apears type command.com and press enter. A black box will now apear with a flashing cursor on it. Now type ipconfig and press enter. Several lines of information will apear, one of these will have IP Address next to it. This number should start with 192 on most routers. If you have any other number please post for assistance.

Step 4.

Setting up the router - most routers are set up from the factory with some basic settings that will give you access to the internet. You may need to change some of these settings. Consult the user guide for the router for full setup details. The options for routers are so vast that they can not be covered on this guide. Please RTFM first then post for help.

Step 5.

There is no step 5 - You are done. Sit back and enjoy your broadband on any computer you have connected or blast bad guys on your ps2.....

Some things to remember :-

You have a finite amount of bandwidth on the cable modem and router. This means that you should not expect full speed downloads if another computer is downloading ect.

If you are using a wireless network on the router then please ensure that you apply the security settings in your user guide once you have the wireless computers working. Nearby users with wireless cards can use your connection and monitor trafic if security is not used. WEP, Mac Filtering and SSID withholding can help make your network secure from all but the most determined naughty people

I hope this guide is helpfull to you - If you have any questions please dont hesitate to post them after you read the user guide enclosed with the product.
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2004, 12:31   #2
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Re: Broadband Sharing - A Step By Step Guide

Who's been a busy boy then?

Very useful as always stu
Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004, 12:45   #3
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

I thought that the SACM could detect and switch so it did not matter if a crossover or straight cable was used between WAN and SACM.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004, 12:49   #4
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
I thought that the SACM could detect and switch so it did not matter if a crossover or straight cable was used between WAN and SACM.
It can sometimes. The router at the other end needs to support mdx - I spec'd different cable fo the two in case the user does not have a router that is compatible.
Old 23-02-2004, 14:03   #5
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

nice one m8 , how about it is made a sticky , mods
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004, 14:10   #6
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
nice one m8 , how about it is made a sticky , mods
With pleasure-nice one Stu.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004, 15:55   #7
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
With pleasure-nice one Stu.
Thanks Neil....

I am trying to work on another guide covering connecting everything together on the ps2 service using 2 ip add's and a switch instead of a router...... I dont know hoe this part works that well. I understand that you have to register for the service to get the two IP's but do you need to register the mac address's with NTL before you connect the hardware ?
Old 23-02-2004, 16:33   #8
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
If you have a set top box then you must use a cross over cable.
Not quite: set-top boxes requires a cross-over cable only if they say so beside the RJ45 socket. If they do not say they require a cross-over cable, then they require a straight-through ethernet cable for connecting to a PC or to the WAN port of a router.
rdhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004, 16:36   #9
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhw
Not quite: set-top boxes requires a cross-over cable only if they say so beside the RJ45 socket. If they do not say they require a cross-over cable, then they require a straight-through ethernet cable for connecting to a PC or to the WAN port of a router.
Thanks Robin...

I will get that amended on the guide.

BTW - Any ideas on the multiple IP registration procedure ?
Old 24-02-2004, 00:00   #10
Caspar
Inactive

Caspar has reached the bronze age
Caspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Thanks Robin...

I will get that amended on the guide.
Done.
Caspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2004, 00:30   #11
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspar
Done.
Thanks Caspar
Old 28-02-2004, 23:10   #12
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

Stu
All this you are doing (inc. the other threads) are super stuff, although I have a headach from reading it all and trying to understand. What I would like is some advice. I have a 2Ghz main PC and a 0.5Ghz 'slave' connected via wire and they operate well to access the web/ mail etc via ntl STB. No problems with the system during use over the last 18 months or so. However, I have just bought a laptop (3ghz all-singing-all dancing thing made by Gericom). This had good reviews [Computer Active] and although a bit on the bulky side that is not an issue for me. The thing is the laptop has a wireless LAN PCMCIA card. In your view what is the best way to 'connect' the thing to the internet alongside the other machines? I presume I have to "add" something to the main PC that will link to the wireless card? I have not previously 'met' a machine with a wirelass LAN card. Many thanks.
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2004, 02:28   #13
Jonboy
Inactive

Services: XL Package With Souper Dooper Pooper Hub(sometimes)
Jonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to Jonboy

hi chaps both my friend and i have the same router he has cloned his mac address i have not is their any need to do this and if so should it be the modem mac add or the nic mac address boy this get's confuseing cheers for any help
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2004, 02:32   #14
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Snodvan... Can you post details of what you want to do ? I take it you want to use internet connection sharing ?

Jonboy.... If the connection is working then there is no need to mac clone... Pls clarify !
Old 29-02-2004, 11:57   #15
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Snodvan... Can you post details of what you want to do ? I take it you want to use internet connection sharing ?

Jonboy.... If the connection is working then there is no need to mac clone... Pls clarify !
Stu
What I want to be able to do is
a. Sit at home and use the laptop to connect to the Net via IE and sometimes to deal with mail via Outlook (I use Outlook rather than OE). At home the main access would be to the Net because I would normally access Email on the base machine so that all the files are in the folders for the one account. I would normally be in the office area so a wire connection would be reasonable. There is still a spare slot on the main PC that connects to the STB. However, if there is an option to "roam" with the thing within the house ie use it in another room, then that would be wonderful.

A lot of the use of the laptop away from home will be mundane ie to run Powerpoint presentations to people, access my information files (many of which are in historic Outlook files) and to write Word reports - and to download video and still from the camcorder/ camera.

b. Be away from home with the laptop and be able to pick up Email (main requirement) or access the Net. I have done the Email "thing" before when I used the company laptop + triband cellphone. This worked even from some strange parts of the world. I still have the phone but now I have to pay the bill!! Access was of course real slow using a cellphone. I read about an ever increasing number of wireless accsss 'hotspots' within UK but sods law says thay will not be where I want them, espcially out of UK. I have no idea at all how you access the net at such places or what sort of connection speed is attainable. I have a lot to learn.

Regards
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote