Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Keeping your pc healthy !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Keeping your pc healthy !

Old 21-02-2004, 13:45   #1
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Keeping your pc healthy !

Keeping your computer healthy

During my day-to-day work I see a lots of computers. In my second job at a computer store I often see systems that are running very very slowly. In nine out of 10 cases this is down to maintenance of the pc. No one that owns a car would dream of driving 300.000 miles in there car without changing the oil and tyres ect. People do this with there computers all the time. The following step-by-step guide has been written as a schedule for users to follow. Your pc will run more smoothly and more reliably by taking the steps bellow.

1. Treat installing software on a pc as a serious matter. Even if you remove unwanted software from the pc using †œ add/remove programs †œ ect you will still leave old unused files and registry keys in the system. If you are going to uninstall the software then donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t install it in the first place.

2. Make sure that all the hardware in the system has the correct drivers installed. ! marks or ? marks in the device manager indicate that a driver is missing or has a problem.

3. Visit windows update on a weekly basis to check for new drivers/patches. You can allso set windows so it checks automaticaly. Post for details of how to do this.

4. Make sure you have an up to date Antivirus package on your pc. Virusââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s can slow a pc down to crawl. Not to mention cause damage to your files. Scan your system for viruses on a weekly basis.

5. Keep spyware out of the system. There are several free spyware removal tools on the net that will help you do this. A good spyware scanner is Adaware †“ found at www.lavasoft.de . It is best to stop the spyware getting on the pc in the first place. A program called spyware blaster can help you do this. Spyware blaster can be downloaded from www.spywareblaster.org This nifty app will help stop the spyware getting on the system in the first place.

6. Keep your hard drive healthy by running scandisk on a weekly basis. Scandisk can be found in †œ Start menu / program files / accessories / system tools / scandisk †œ Scandisk will check your pc for hard disk errors and correct them. This makes file corruptions ect less likely.

7. Defrag your hard disk on a weekly basis. The defrag program operates by rearranging the files on the hard disk so that they are in order and tidy. This will speed up the system as well as making file corruptions less likely. Defrag can be found in †œ start menu / program files / system tools / defrag †œ You may find that defrag restarts all the time. This can happen with windows 95/98/me a lot and is down to all the memory being used up and the system writing to the swap file. To get round this shut down the pc and then restart it. As soon as you turn the pc on press and hold CTRL on the pcââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s keyboard. You will be presented with a menu just before the windows loading screen appears. Select safe mode from the menu and wait for windows to load. Be patient it can sometimes take a while. When you are in windows all the icons and your wallpaper may look strange. Donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t worry about this †“ Everything will return to normal when you reboot the screen after defrag has finished. When you run defrag for the first time you may find that it takes may hours. This is normal especially if it has never been run before.

8. Install a good firewall in the pc and make sure that it is configured correctly (post for help) - Thanks to Paulyoung666 for this amendment.

9.Make sure that you delete all the temporary internet files and all the files from your windows temp directory before you defrag the drive. To remove temporary internet files from the pc click on " tools / internet options and then the delete files button " To delete the system temp files look for a folder in windows or winnt called temp. Delete the contents. (make sure that any open programs are shut down first) Many thanks to sociable for this sugestion.

Follow this list on a weekly basis to ensure that your pc is happy and healthy. You will see a big increase in system performance. Make a time during the week to do this. The more regularly you run the above the less time that it will take for the job to be done.

If you have any questions or queries please donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t hesitate to post them †“ We will be happy to lend a hand.
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2004, 23:18   #2
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: Keeping your pc healthy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Keeping your computer healthy

During my day-to-day work I see a lots of computers. In my second job at a computer store I often see systems that are running very very slowly. In nine out of 10 cases this is down to maintenance of the pc. No one that owns a car would dream of driving 300.000 miles in there car without changing the oil and tyres ect. People do this with there computers all the time. The following step-by-step guide has been written as a schedule for users to follow. Your pc will run more smoothly and more reliably by taking the steps bellow.

1. Treat installing software on a pc as a serious matter. Even if you remove unwanted software from the pc using †œ add/remove programs †œ ect you will still leave old unused files and registry keys in the system. If you are going to uninstall the software then donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t install it in the first place.

2. Make sure that all the hardware in the system has the correct drivers installed. ! marks or ? marks in the device manager indicate that a driver is missing or has a problem.

3. Visit windows update on a weekly basis to check for new drivers/patches. You can allso set windows so it checks automaticaly. Post for details of how to do this.

4. Make sure you have an up to date Antivirus package on your pc. Virusââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s can slow a pc down to crawl. Not to mention cause damage to your files. Scan your system for viruses on a weekly basis.

5. Keep spyware out of the system. There are several free spyware removal tools on the net that will help you do this. A good spyware scanner is Adaware †“ found at www.lavasoft.de . It is best to stop the spyware getting on the pc in the first place. A program called spyware blaster can help you do this. Spyware blaster can be downloaded from www.spywareblaster.org This nifty app will help stop the spyware getting on the system in the first place.

6. Keep your hard drive healthy by running scandisk on a weekly basis. Scandisk can be found in †œ Start menu / program files / accessories / system tools / scandisk †œ Scandisk will check your pc for hard disk errors and correct them. This makes file corruptions ect less likely.

7. Defrag your hard disk on a weekly basis. The defrag program operates by rearranging the files on the hard disk so that they are in order and tidy. This will speed up the system as well as making file corruptions less likely. Defrag can be found in †œ start menu / program files / system tools / defrag †œ You may find that defrag restarts all the time. This can happen with windows 95/98/me a lot and is down to all the memory being used up and the system writing to the swap file. To get round this shut down the pc and then restart it. As soon as you turn the pc on press and hold CTRL on the pcââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s keyboard. You will be presented with a menu just before the windows loading screen appears. Select safe mode from the menu and wait for windows to load. Be patient it can sometimes take a while. When you are in windows all the icons and your wallpaper may look strange. Donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t worry about this †“ Everything will return to normal when you reboot the screen after defrag has finished. When you run defrag for the first time you may find that it takes may hours. This is normal especially if it has never been run before.

8. Install a good firewall in the pc and make sure that it is configured correctly (post for help) - Thanks to Paulyoung666 for this amendment.

9.Make sure that you delete all the temporary internet files and all the files from your windows temp directory before you defrag the drive. To remove temporary internet files from the pc click on " tools / internet options and then the delete files button " To delete the system temp files look for a folder in windows or winnt called temp. Delete the contents. (make sure that any open programs are shut down first) Many thanks to sociable for this sugestion.

Follow this list on a weekly basis to ensure that your pc is happy and healthy. You will see a big increase in system performance. Make a time during the week to do this. The more regularly you run the above the less time that it will take for the job to be done.

If you have any questions or queries please donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t hesitate to post them †“ We will be happy to lend a hand.
For point numer 9. If i was to empty the temp folder, would this affect all the user accounts i have on XP or will it just affect mine? i Also have a prob with Spyware blaster. See screenshot.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:27   #3
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNA
For point numer 9. If i was to empty the temp folder, would this affect all the user accounts i have on XP or will it just affect mine? i Also have a prob with Spyware blaster. See screenshot.
Each user has there own temp account on xp under documents and settings...

The spyware blaster problem can be fixed by downloading these apps.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...vbrun60sp5.exe

http://www.javacoolsoftware.net/down...gfilesetup.exe

HTH
Old 22-02-2004, 23:30   #4
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNA
For point numer 9. If i was to empty the temp folder, would this affect all the user accounts i have on XP or will it just affect mine?

The C:\Windows\temp is a general OS temp folder
C:\documents and settings\username\Local Settings\Temp is username specific and most likely to contain loads of temp files.
If you have access to the profiles of other users, C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE can be deleted to clear out their cache.
Check what size IE has set for your cache and decrease it. Mine by default was 1733MB!

Also check C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents as this is where Dr Watson dumps to.

Right click each profile folder to check how much space they are using

Also, set your start menu to "classic". It won't help with space, but it makes your computer look much better
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:32   #5
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

This thread should be sticky or it's pertinent info placed in ntli info (imo)
Old 22-02-2004, 23:34   #6
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome
Smile Re: Keeping your pc healthy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers
Check what size IE has set for your cache and decrease it. Mine by default was 1733MB!
Its best set to 80mb
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:35   #7
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Each user has there own temp account on xp under documents and settings...

The spyware blaster problem can be fixed by downloading these apps.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...vbrun60sp5.exe

http://www.javacoolsoftware.net/down...gfilesetup.exe

HTH
Ok sorted the spyware blaster problem. Is that temp files folder called "User Data?" Also will it do any harm to the system or XP if i delete these files? See screenshot.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:37   #8
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNA
Ok sorted the spyware blaster problem. Is that temp files folder called "User Data?"
Temporary Internet Files

In win98se its in the main windows folder
In XP Pro its in C:\documents and settings\your name\local settings\
Old 22-02-2004, 23:37   #9
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNA
Ok sorted the spyware blaster problem. Is that temp files folder called "User Data?"
Nooooooooooo - Dont touch that

That contains program info...

You need - C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*
Old 22-02-2004, 23:38   #10
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNA
C:\documents and settings\username\Local Settings\Temp
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:40   #11
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Some very good advice stuartbe... just a few personal points.

1. Dont really agree with this one, sometimes it is nescesary to install a program to test it, or to use it to help someone if they are having a problem with the same program ( I do this often over /MSN ), these rograms just clutter things up so may be needed to be uninstalled after use.

2. This is a very good point, allthough in some cases the ! can mean there are no drivers installed for the hardware rather than there being a problem. In some cases like in my laptop I often dont install the modem driver because it is not needed, this will actually speed up the machine rather than slow it down or make it unstable (allbeit not noticably faster).

3. Very good advice, though if you play any online games do not enable automatic updating, it has a nasty habbit of scanning for updates during all te best games

4. Another incredibly good point, though I never enable real time scanning as this will slow down the machine more than a lot of Viruses and can case some serious problems with driver and software instalation. just A weekly scan as you mentioned is good advice.

5. very good advice, the ammount of times I have found bad pyware on my system, also neer download any plugins from GAIN or GATOR.

6. Also good although I wouldnt reccomend weekly scans, a detailed scan takes a long time to complete and excessive scanning has been shown to reduce the overall lifetime o a hard drive, I'd reccomend monthly scandisk scans.

7. All good points except like I said above, A monthly defrag will do just as much good and is less likeley to wear out your hard drive quicker than it should.

8. couldnt agree more.

9. again couldnt agree more.

good tips Stuartbe, positive rep for you as soon as I have repped more people, apparently I need to spread mysefl around a bit before I rep you again
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:44   #12
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Thanks Zrbyte....

Just to clarify....

Temp folder in 2000 can be found at - C:\WINNT\Temp

For xp - C:\windows\Temp

Temp files for the user - C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp

Temporary internet Files for users - "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

HTH
Old 22-02-2004, 23:48   #13
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

I have my hard drives mounted in removable caddies and swap the drive that I am using as the C drive according to how I am using the PC. One drive I have for serious work and restrict what goes on it. A second drive I have for other things and I am not too bothered if it gets messed up and I lose something. I fairly regularly wipe this second drive and give it a fresh start. A third drive I keep for when the Grandkids want to use the PC and it ensures that they do not muck up anything important to me. Working with computers since long before the PC came along I have seen many systems that are absolutely bunged up with remnants of software that they have tried and subsequently removed, or thought they have. Using this method together with housekeeping such as Stuart has described ensures that my systems stay in tip top condition.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:50   #14
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
I have my hard drives mounted in removable caddies and swap the drive that I am using as the C drive according to how I am using the PC. One drive I have for serious work and restrict what goes on it. A second drive I have for other things and I am not too bothered if it gets messed up and I lose something. I fairly regularly wipe this second drive and give it a fresh start. A third drive I keep for when the Grandkids want to use the PC and it ensures that they do not muck up anything important to me. Working with computers since long before the PC came along I have seen many systems that are absolutely bunged up with remnants of software that they have tried and subsequently removed, or thought they have. Using this method together with housekeeping such as Stuart has described ensures that my systems stay in tip top condition.
Very good advice if you have the money, its like having 3 machines in 1.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:52   #15
DrAwesome
Inactive

This is where i find PcPitstop comes in handy the web site can check your drive & partitions & then give you recommendations to keep your pc healthy i.e like defrag your hard drive or partition (that you have checked), the web site has a free to use online virus checker + you can also test your Internet connection.