Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable Modem Setup Without the Broadjump CD !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable Modem Setup Without the Broadjump CD !
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 15:34   #16
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Cable Modem Setup Without the Broadjump CD !

Have to say I've never seen a 64 before but I'm always willing to learn
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2004, 15:48   #17
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
Have to say I've never seen a 64 before but I'm always willing to learn
My apologies all - I have just checked.... I was thinking of a default subnet number on cisco gear........

169. is the correct range for auto asig......

need more sleep
Old 17-02-2004, 08:34   #18
grindkid25
Inactive

grindkid25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to grindkid25

many people have problems with software "correct connect".....because it did me no favours..but then an ntl guy anylised my 'ware' on my computer and told me to take the spyware he off....and its worked perfectly ever since

but yes i definetely agree. the software doesnt do anything apart from surveying ur connection
Old 17-02-2004, 08:41   #19
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindkid25
many people have problems with software "correct connect".....because it did me no favours..but then an ntl guy anylised my 'ware' on my computer and told me to take the spyware he off....and its worked perfectly ever since

but yes i definetely agree. the software doesnt do anything apart from surveying ur connection
I cant see the advantage of the software at all - I think its just for noobs to help with install.

I believe in keeping software to a minimum on a pc system !
Old 20-02-2004, 21:32   #20
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Snip.
Thanks for changing the text on my first post mods/admins

Have I missed anything else guys ?
Old 21-02-2004, 06:12   #21
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

great post.

I am all for ethernet over usb, but seems I have been forced to use usb for my cable modem (only thing stopping me disabling usb on my system). When I tried to use ethernet for my modem it was stuck on a 169.x ip address I tried ip /release and ip /renew, but nothing ever happened and this was with the firewall turned off.

Now I can't remember exactly what I did because this was months ago and to be honest it has been working fine on usb, but I would like to give ethernet another shot, in ethernet is the modem still supposed to appear in device manager and you setup the ip on the cable modem device (same as usb) or do you get the ip address assigned to the ethernet card, last time I tried I think it wasn't listed in device manager and I was using release and renew on the ethernet card.

Thanks
Old 21-02-2004, 09:17   #22
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

no it wont show in device manager , just your nic will
Old 21-02-2004, 09:22   #23
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

then this means I followed the correct procedure last time, I did ip/renew and the returned error was the dhcp server failed to renew your ip address.
Old 21-02-2004, 09:40   #24
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
then this means I followed the correct procedure last time, I did ip/renew and the returned error was the dhcp server failed to renew your ip address.

it could be that it was just bad timing as i had a lot of dhcp errors a while ago and this has now cleared up
Old 21-02-2004, 10:22   #25
gavnad
Inactive

gavnad is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the self same thing...............installed win xp but now am stuck with a 169 IP address although to be honest it connects so much better now i've got rid of win me im happy as a sand boy connecting through USB.......still would like to know how i can fix it
Old 21-02-2004, 11:20   #26
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
great post.

I am all for ethernet over usb, but seems I have been forced to use usb for my cable modem (only thing stopping me disabling usb on my system). When I tried to use ethernet for my modem it was stuck on a 169.x ip address I tried ip /release and ip /renew, but nothing ever happened and this was with the firewall turned off.

Now I can't remember exactly what I did because this was months ago and to be honest it has been working fine on usb, but I would like to give ethernet another shot, in ethernet is the modem still supposed to appear in device manager and you setup the ip on the cable modem device (same as usb) or do you get the ip address assigned to the ethernet card, last time I tried I think it wasn't listed in device manager and I was using release and renew on the ethernet card.

Thanks
1. make sure that you have powered down the cable modem for 10-15 mins and then powered up and let it settle down before you switch from usb to ethernet.

2. Ensure that the xp firewall or any firewall for that matter is disabled or the ubr (the ubr routes the dhcp requests) is in the trusted zone.

HTH
Old 21-02-2004, 11:52   #27
Sociable
Inactive

Sociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation era

All Stand Alone Cable Modems (SACM) need to bind themselves to the new Ethernet connection by having a full reboot of the modem by powering down and then connecting the ethernet cable and powering back up the modem. This associates the modem with the Ethernet card (NIC). This process has to be repeated any time the connection is changed either to or from USB or simply from one NIC to another.

One option if you are stuck on the default Windows 169.xx.xx.xx address when trying to use ethernet for a SACM after having done the above is to do a full initialising of the modem by then disconnecting the modem from everything. (i.e. also disconnect from the main NTL cable once the power is off) Then power the modem back up with the cable still disconnected.

Then power down the modem again and reconnect the main NTL cable and let the modem settle down and get its correct IP from NTL and at this point do a full reboot on the PC itself leaving the modem switched on so that it retains the connection. Windows should then see the correct connection on the modem after the reboot and not assign the default 169.xx.xx.xx address which actually indicates a failure to detect a "live" connection.

With some SACM models there is also an extra option to do an internal reset of modem by making use of a pinhole which will be seen on the back of the modem close to the RJ45 socket (In those models with that feature). This procedure is done with the modem still connected to the main power not during a reboot btw.

One of the above, or a combination of both, should get the modem giving a true IP to Windows and restoring a working connection via the ethernet card in most cases where a SACM is being used.

In the case of Set Top Boxes the procedure is somewhat different as any new NIC has to have its MAC address registered on the NTL network. I don't have the details to hand for that full process but I am sure somebody will add this detail in due course.

As with the original advice, these extra things to try are best done with any firewall turned off as this could interfere with the process but don't forget to reset the firewall once the new connection is working correctly.

Hope this helps.
Old 21-02-2004, 12:03   #28
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

[QUOTE=Sociable] / Snip / [QUOTE]

Thanks Sociable.........

NB - make sure that you are releasing and renewing the correct interface as some users may have multiple ethernet cards. It may be an idea to disable the unused interfaces when setting up the cable modem via ethernet.
Old 21-02-2004, 14:09   #29
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

ahhh thanks guys, it looks to me the problem I had was I wasn't rebooting the modem after unplugging the usb, one last question.

If I do this does this mean its going to force an ip change as I would like to keep the same ip I have had for months.
Old 21-02-2004, 14:10   #30
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
ahhh thanks guys, it looks to me the problem I had was I wasn't rebooting the modem after unplugging the usb, one last question.

If I do this does this mean its going to force an ip change as I would like to keep the same ip I have had for months.
It may do - There is no way of telling realy......

Glad you found the guide usefull
Closed Thread