Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | cable modem install on Linux

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

cable modem install on Linux

Old 08-01-2004, 08:49   #1
molvistan
Inactive

molvistan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to molvistan Send a message via MSN to molvistan Send a message via Yahoo to molvistan
cable modem install on Linux

i've got ntl broadband, the modem connects to my computer via USB. i tried setting the modem up on linux, got it running on peanut linux with dhcpcd -d.

however on slackware linux and other distros i cant start the connection by typing dhcpcd -d. i don't know the reason but when i run ifconfig -a i don't see the cable modem there. on peanut the cable modem was assigned eth1.

how can i get the modem to work on other distros.

thank you
molvistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2004, 08:55   #2
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: cable modem install on Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by molvistan
i've got ntl broadband, the modem connects to my computer via USB. i tried setting the modem up on linux, got it running on peanut linux with dhcpcd -d.

however on slackware linux and other distros i cant start the connection by typing dhcpcd -d. i don't know the reason but when i run ifconfig -a i don't see the cable modem there. on peanut the cable modem was assigned eth1.

how can i get the modem to work on other distros.

thank you
Forget it m8 - I spend days trying to get the stupid usb drivers working. Save yourself hours of banging your head against the wall and get an ethernet card.
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:07   #3
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Forget it m8 - I spend days trying to get the stupid usb drivers working. Save yourself hours of banging your head against the wall and get an ethernet card.

agree there , the only time i had a play with linux , red hat i think , i used ethernet and it worked no problem with no messing on to boot
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:34   #4
Pritch
Inactive

Pritch is just really nicePritch is just really nicePritch is just really nicePritch is just really nicePritch is just really nicePritch is just really nice

Yup, another vote here for ethernet. It's virtually a no-brainer to get it working under Redhat.
Pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:07   #5
Mr.Moony
Permanently Banned

Mr.Moony is on a distinguished roadMr.Moony is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mr.Moony

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Forget it m8 - I spend days trying to get the stupid usb drivers working.
Erm. Why?
Mr.Moony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:23   #6
philip.j.fry
Inactive

philip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
philip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze age

Have you tried running netconfig as root?

But I agree with others, using a network card is far easier and more efficient.
philip.j.fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:47   #7
threadbare
Inactive

threadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of light

are there any usb cm drivers for linux then?
threadbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:51   #8
philip.j.fry
Inactive

philip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
philip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbare
are there any usb cm drivers for linux then?
Most distros come with some generic ones
philip.j.fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 16:44   #9
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.j.fry

I have not tried getting the CM running over USB, but I have had no problems getting other USB devices working under both RH and SuSe.
The drivers appear to be ok - but can be a bit of a pig to setup correctly.
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 17:42   #10
threadbare
Inactive

threadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of lightthreadbare is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.j.fry
didn't know that. I use xp mostly but have a dual boot with SuSe 8.2 - set it up using a nic straight away - nice 'n easy
threadbare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 23:09   #11
asdf
Inactive

asdf will become famous soon enoughasdf will become famous soon enoughasdf will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't even bother trying to get USB cable modem sorted. I've done it, but it's so much easier to just whack in a network card which linux gets straight away and then it's all go
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 23:21   #12
molvistan
Inactive

molvistan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to molvistan Send a message via MSN to molvistan Send a message via Yahoo to molvistan

USB does work on linux, all other USB devices work, its just the modem.

Anyway, I'll switch to the NIC. Are there any other advantages of using the NIC other than its easier to set up.

Thanks for ur help
molvistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 23:47   #13
pitscof
Inactive

pitscof is an unknown quantity at this point

The modem probably doesnt work due to the driver for the modem you have (or lack of it) that doesnt work. Its got nothing to do with whether USB works or not.

Use ethernet
pitscof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 00:42   #14
asdf
Inactive

asdf will become famous soon enoughasdf will become famous soon enoughasdf will become famous soon enough

Other advantages? Less processor intensive.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56   #15
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molvistan
USB does work on linux, all other USB devices work, its just the modem.

Anyway, I'll switch to the NIC. Are there any other advantages of using the NIC other than its easier to set up.

Thanks for ur help
It make life a lot easier if you ever want to network your broadband
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote