Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl home:120 hanging from today

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl home:120 hanging from today

Old 17-01-2006, 16:25   #1
renzz
Inactive

renzz is an unknown quantity at this point
ntl home:120 hanging from today

I've had an ntl:home 120 modem for a couple of years now which has always performed flawlessly. Even when I was upgraded to 10MB and got the new firmware, it worked fine, at full speed. However, today I was doing some flat-out downloads when I lost all Internet connectivity. I powered the modem off/on and all worked ok for about 15 mins then the same thing.

If I look at the Cable Modem diags page, I seem to have firmware ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr - is this new? I recall ntl0002.cpw was the upgrade to allow 10MB, so has ntl0003.cpw just been released (and could it be the cause of the hangs)?

I've got an engineer coming tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone else had this problem from today (I'm in the Epsom, Surrey area).
renzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2006, 18:25   #2
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
Re: ntl home:120 hanging from today

Yes, there was a firmware upgrade for the 100 and 120 modems last night. I'm not aware of it causing any issues though...

to CF, by the way!
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 18:42   #3
renzz
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadplay
Yes, there was a firmware upgrade for the 100 and 120 modems last night. I'm not aware of it causing any issues though...

to CF, by the way!
Thanks!

It's a bit too coincidental isn't it? That must be the cause. Surely I can't be the only one? It does only seem to affect the modem when it's running flat out at the full 10Mb for around 10-15 mins.
Old 17-01-2006, 18:50   #4
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

It is odd - but if it was affecting every ntl:home 120 user, I'd expect CF to have crashed under the weight of all the posts!

We'll see how it develops over the next few days, but it may just be that your modem didn't take the firmware download properly, or it was corrupted - or of course, it could just be total coincidence! Let us know how you get on after the engineer's been!
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 19:38   #5
mcmanic
cf.addict

mcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about them

its happened to me today also, twice and both times when downloading at full speed, just locksup and have to reboot NTL120 Modem. Had the modem for a couple of years also and its never missed a heartbeat, until now?

Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr
Software Upgrade AdminStatus : ignoreProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromMgt
mcmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 20:38   #6
sav112
Inactive

Services: "Be" 8mb
sav112 is an unknown quantity at this point

im still on ntlhm100_ntl0001.cpr on my 120 in Glasgow
sav112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 20:39   #7
mcmanic
cf.addict

mcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about them

just happened again, so 3x now, see whats happens tomorrow - but strange to do it after the upgrade and not before
Old 17-01-2006, 21:13   #8
HD462
Inactive

Services: Digital Cable TV V+ Freeview Virgin Phone 10Mb Broadband Home WiFi Network Virgin Mobile BB
HD462 will become famous soon enoughHD462 will become famous soon enoughHD462 will become famous soon enough

I'm still on 0001.cpr too on a 120 modem. Strange how the other bits are different on yours too, the Upgrade AdminStatus, and Upgrade OperStatus:

Network Access : Enabled
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000 bps
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0001.cpr
Software Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning

Maybe someone from CF team can tell us what the difference is. I wonder if you've just been changed to 10meg and it's disabled upgrades because of that?

I don't think I want the 10meg upgrade even if they offer it, with all the problems people seem to have. My 2meg connection is always rock solid, don't want to spoil that with an upgrade.
HD462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 21:58   #9
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

whats the 3rd revision supposed to fix?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 22:54   #10
PowerUser
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 152mbit Broadband. But!. massive utilization issues 'Apparently' Killing it.
PowerUser is a jewel in the roughPowerUser is a jewel in the roughPowerUser is a jewel in the roughPowerUser is a jewel in the roughPowerUser is a jewel in the rough

Exactly the same problem here on my 120, didnt know they had updated the firmware.

Should i just wait and see if they fix the prob!!.

its done it twice since I came home around 10pm
PowerUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 23:01   #11
sav112
Inactive

Services: "Be" 8mb
sav112 is an unknown quantity at this point

connection has been really bad for the first time, games loosing connection to servers. i hope its just a blip.
my mate on BT bb line a few doors up playing fine and im getting shafted by con probs.
he's been laughing at my Ntl, not impressed at all.
sav112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 00:16   #12
mcmanic
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUser
didnt know they had updated the firmware.
i didn't know either until i came here to see if anyone had any issue's and saw this post. BTW done it again so make it 4X now.

Thing is its totally random, can be fine for ages then stop, or just after 10mins,
Old 18-01-2006, 06:32   #13
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

I think the software has only been upgraded for those on 10mb, as I am on 2mb (and want to stick that way) and am still on the 1st firmware.
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 06:42   #14
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
whats the 3rd revision supposed to fix?
thats anyones guess. I asked a while ago what the 1st update fixed and nobody had a scooby. Personally without a list of bugfixes, I just think NTL want to change the firmware version and look busy without fixing jack.
Old 18-01-2006, 09:15   #15
renzz
Inactive

The engineer has just been and, unsurprisingly, wasn't aware there had been a firmware upgrade. However I persuaded him to replace my 120 with a 250 so for me the problem has gone.

I guess everyone needs to make Tech Support aware of this problem, and maybe they will fix it or roll back to the old version soon.