Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New content for Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New content for Virgin Media
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2016, 23:27   #16
Bananaman_007
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 262
Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
A friend of ours wanted some help setting up her new Talk Talk box yesterday. I was surprised to see when it was loaded that Now TV was on there.

So it seems that those who doubted that Sky would permit other platforms to offer this service were wrong. I am now even more hopeful that Virgin Media's new box will have Now TV as one of the apps on it, thus resolving the Sky Atlantic/ITV Encore issue.

ADDENDUM

Just checked this out on line and it seems that you cannot get access to the Entertainment Pass on Talk Talk's Now TV service. So they cannot get SA or ITV Encore on Talk Talk after all. I believe that you can only use the Movies and Sports passes.

However, I see no reason why the full service cannot be made available to VM if they wanted it.

https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/sky-a...s-and-answers/
Never going to happen, why would VM offer access to Sky Movies, Sports and a good selection of entertainment from a rival who offer it at a much cheaper rate? Surely if they did this and people liked the service they would be thinking why am i paying for VM and cancel and just replace it with a Now TV box.
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2016, 00:14   #17
1andrew1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,922
1andrew1 has reached the bronze age
1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
Never going to happen, why would VM offer access to Sky Movies, Sports and a good selection of entertainment from a rival who offer it at a much cheaper rate? Surely if they did this and people liked the service they would be thinking why am i paying for VM and cancel and just replace it with a Now TV box.
Totally agreed. Old Boy makes some great contributions to the forum on the future of broadcasting but this one is as mad as a box of frogs - for the reasons you stipulate plus VM would not be keen on giving Sky its subscribers' details.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:44   #18
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,345
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: New content for Virgin Media

It would be very useful to have the Vimeo TV Store, and Liberty Global have an interest in this!

I believe that this is the way of the future, and there must be real concerns within Sky that such arrangements will take off and extend across the full spectrum of TV shows and films. On the down side, from what I have read, HBO are not likely to make use of this arrangement for the time being, preferring to offer all its own programming from their HBO site once existing deals have expired. Still bad news for Sky, though.

The way I read this, operators such as Sky would not be able to monopolise the availability of the content on the Vimeo TV Store to their own platforms.

I would like to think that Virgin Media would offer this service to its subscribers from the minute it is available in the UK. This initiative has the potential to grow exponentially.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/61689...onsgate-starz/

MIPCOM: Vimeo launches TV Store, partners with Lionsgate, Starz

Vimeo has launched a new transactional TV store, with Lionsgate and Starz the first partners to come on board to provide content to the service.

Vimeo TV Store launched at MIPCOM yesterday and the service is designed to let premium studios sell their shows on a pay-per view basis to viewers in more than 150 countries around the world.

Lionsgate is the first major Hollywood studio to provide content to the new venture, making virtually its entire TV catalogue available, including popular series like Orange is the New Black, The Royals, Mad Men and Weeds.

Starz will add its content in the coming weeks and will sell shows such as The Girlfriend Experience, Ash vs Evil Dead and Black Sails through the store.

Speaking to DTVE ahead of the launch, Vimeo vice-president of programming, Sam Toles, described Vimeo TV Store as “the first global television on-demand service.

“The real differentiator is, if you look at iTunes or Google, they do offer feature films on a worldwide basis, but television is limited to a handful of territories – between six and seven depending on the various players,” said Toles.

“We felt there was a real opportunity to open up television in a global window so that when shows are launched, they can be released transactionally next day from air in 150-plus territories and really give the world access to premium content. We’re opening that ecosystem now to studios and reverse engineering from the ground up.”

Toles said that, with the store, Vimeo is creating new windows and new ways for studios to monetise their content. He added that there will be “a number of other announcements over the coming months with additional providers of that level of quality joining the initiative”.

Starz chief operating officer, Jeffrey Hirsch, said: “Vimeo is undoubtedly one of the most cutting-edge online video platforms and Starz is very pleased to join Lionsgate in agreeing to provide content to Vimeo’s storefront.

“With this agreement, Starz will make available for purchase three of its most powerful and compelling Starz Original series for consumers around the world.”
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 15:10   #19
passingbat
Streaming is for 'now'
 
passingbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,620
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It would be very useful to have the Vimeo TV Store, and Liberty Global have an interest in this!

I believe that this is the way of the future, and there must be real concerns within Sky that such arrangements will take off and extend across the full spectrum of TV shows and films. On the down side, from what I have read, HBO are not likely to make use of this arrangement for the time being, preferring to offer all its own programming from their HBO site once existing deals have expired. Still bad news for Sky, though.

The way I read this, operators such as Sky would not be able to monopolise the availability of the content on the Vimeo TV Store to their own platforms.

I would like to think that Virgin Media would offer this service to its subscribers from the minute it is available in the UK. This initiative has the potential to grow exponentially.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/61689...onsgate-starz/

MIPCOM: Vimeo launches TV Store, partners with Lionsgate, Starz

Vimeo has launched a new transactional TV store, with Lionsgate and Starz the first partners to come on board to provide content to the service.

Vimeo TV Store launched at MIPCOM yesterday and the service is designed to let premium studios sell their shows on a pay-per view basis to viewers in more than 150 countries around the world.

Lionsgate is the first major Hollywood studio to provide content to the new venture, making virtually its entire TV catalogue available, including popular series like Orange is the New Black, The Royals, Mad Men and Weeds.

Starz will add its content in the coming weeks and will sell shows such as The Girlfriend Experience, Ash vs Evil Dead and Black Sails through the store.

Speaking to DTVE ahead of the launch, Vimeo vice-president of programming, Sam Toles, described Vimeo TV Store as “the first global television on-demand service.

“The real differentiator is, if you look at iTunes or Google, they do offer feature films on a worldwide basis, but television is limited to a handful of territories – between six and seven depending on the various players,” said Toles.

“We felt there was a real opportunity to open up television in a global window so that when shows are launched, they can be released transactionally next day from air in 150-plus territories and really give the world access to premium content. We’re opening that ecosystem now to studios and reverse engineering from the ground up.”

Toles said that, with the store, Vimeo is creating new windows and new ways for studios to monetise their content. He added that there will be “a number of other announcements over the coming months with additional providers of that level of quality joining the initiative”.

Starz chief operating officer, Jeffrey Hirsch, said: “Vimeo is undoubtedly one of the most cutting-edge online video platforms and Starz is very pleased to join Lionsgate in agreeing to provide content to Vimeo’s storefront.

“With this agreement, Starz will make available for purchase three of its most powerful and compelling Starz Original series for consumers around the world.”

I like Vimeo; I've bought a few non-mainstream items from them. They are available via my Amazon FireTV and many other devices including Roku, Apple TV etc. So again, not essential to be on Tivo, but no harm in it either.


https://vimeo.com/everywhere
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 15:33   #20
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,345
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Now perhaps this would be a much better way of providing games to Virgin Media viewers via an app on the new Tivo.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...nnel-gametoon/

SPI / Filmbox launches new generation TV channel Gametoon

gametoonSPI International/Filmbox Channels Group is launching a new interactive channel Gametoon.

Gametoon features interactive gaming/second screen gaming, game reviews, tournaments esports and viral content fueled with best of the Web and much more. The channel gives its viewers a unique opportunity to play dedicated games on their mobile devices and share scores along with social profile pictures on air.

Viewers may enjoy playing second screen casual games dedicated to channel that follow one simple rule – easy to play, hard to master. They join the fun instantly by picking one of many casual titles and watch how they advance in Gametoon global ranking.

Gametoon will feature live esports events along with information on the teams and games. Channel’s programming includes game reviews, tips and tutorials, along with fun facts and stories about games creation process.

“Young generations are watching content through online devices. It’s time to reconnect to TV. We would like to give millennials something to watch in their traditional cable box,” explains Berk Uziyel, SPI’s executive director.

“With Gametoon, viewers may follow esports and watch top gamers compete against each other in global tournaments.

Gametoon has officially premiered at MIPCOM and will soon be launched on DISH in the US, and Turkcell in Turkey.

The channel is available for worldwide distribution: DTH, Cable, IPTV, Mobile TV and smart TV.


...And this would be a good new documentary app...

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/61871...app-goes-live/

Yaddo documentary SVOD app goes live

Yaddo, the new documentary SVOD service from BBC factual commissioner Nick Fraser, has launched as an app for iOS and Android....

...Speaking to DTVE at MIPCOM last week, Fraser said that Yaddo would go live formally this week but its full international rollout would be staggered.

“It starts off launching in Europe and then it goes to the rest of the world shortly afterwards – in two month’s time,” he said.

Yaddo is powered by on-demand platform provider Magine, was first unveiled at the end of September and has been roughly a year and a half in the making.

The service, which is also accessible online via web browsers, offers viewers a curated, themed selection of feature documentaries articles and short content for £3.99 per-month.

Fraser previously edited the BBC’s acclaimed Storyville documentary strand since its inception 17 years ago, and been involved in more than 340 films over the course of his career.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 24-10-2016 at 15:46.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 17:38   #21
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,345
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Some encouraging news here about Lionsgate and All3media content coming to Virgin Media.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/62644...t-investments/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 18:07   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,470
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Cartoon Network to launch catch up & box sets on VM:

http://www.seenit.co.uk/virgin-media...-content-deal/
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 13:58   #23
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,345
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: New content for Virgin Media

http://advanced-television.com/2016/...e-in-opera-tv/

Another good way that the Virgin Media Tivo V6 box could be instantly transformed into a reputable streaming box with hardly any effort at all. Note that Opera is compatible with Tivos.


Opera TV is an independent developer of cloud and embedded software that enables the TV and media industry’s transition to over-the-top (OTT) content, whereby video can be streamed directly to consumers’ living rooms via the Internet, to devices such as Smart TVs, Blu-ray disc players, set-top boxes and video game consoles.


Opera TV’s software platform enables these connected devices to deliver a complete consumer experience that embraces OTT content. Opera TV’s major customers include consumer electronics companies such as Sony, Samsung, TiVo, Verizon, and Sagemcom, and it serves customers across the globe in Asia, Europe, North America, and South America.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 14:25   #24
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,156
spiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny star
spiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny star
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Another good way that the Virgin Media Tivo V6 box could be instantly transformed into a reputable streaming box with hardly any effort at all.
Putting new software on a box is never "instant" or "hardly any effort at all". Fortunately it's already a "reputable streaming box"

Probably not the best thread for this, by the way.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 14:51   #25
muppetman11
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,887
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Why should Sky be worried about Vimeo ?

In January of this year it was rumoured Sky and Vimeo were in discussions to add the service to Sky Q.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...oin-Sky-Q.html
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 03:24   #26
johnathome
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Waterlooville
Services: 50Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC.
Posts: 791
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Why should Sky be worried about Vimeo ?

In January of this year it was rumoured Sky and Vimeo were in discussions to add the service to Sky Q.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...oin-Sky-Q.html
The death knell for Vimeo? (see mySpace)
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:34   #27
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,345
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Why should Sky be worried about Vimeo ?

In January of this year it was rumoured Sky and Vimeo were in discussions to add the service to Sky Q.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...oin-Sky-Q.html
For reasons explained in #18 above, it would reduce Sky's ability to keep its content exclusive to Sky satellite viewers.

Interesting that Sky may add this to their apps. I hope VM do, too.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:00   #28
passingbat
Streaming is for 'now'
 
passingbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,620
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
For reasons explained in #18 above, it would reduce Sky's ability to keep its content exclusive to Sky satellite viewers.

Interesting that Sky may add this to their apps. I hope VM do, too.

Vimeo is already available on many streaming devices; I suspect that it will be on your Roku stick.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:21   #29
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,345
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Vimeo is already available on many streaming devices; I suspect that it will be on your Roku stick.
I'm not concerned for me, PB, but for the fate of VM if they don't get into the fast lane!

I am conscious that there are many viewers out there who do not have Smart TVs and streamers, and probably not much, if any, knowledge of what streaming even is, who would think that a box with all this stuff on would be out of this world.

In five or so years' time it will be mainstream, by which time I hope that Virgin will be embracing the next best thing.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:56   #30
muppetman11
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,887
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
For reasons explained in #18 above, it would reduce Sky's ability to keep its content exclusive to Sky satellite viewers.

Interesting that Sky may add this to their apps. I hope VM do, too.
But then Sky already has an online platform with which to distribute content on its called Now TV , of all the traditional UK pay TV platforms it's probably one of the most forward thinking. Should the Murdochs get the remaining 60% of Sky you could argue it also has the content to back it up.

Sky's content isn't exclusive to satellite viewers it's available on Now TV to anyone with an internet connection.

Last edited by muppetman11; 21-12-2016 at 11:23.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:10.


Server: xenon.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.