Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Has Superhub a WPS button that can blink red&blue?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Has Superhub a WPS button that can blink red&blue?

Old 19-01-2013, 11:28   #1
resander
Inactive

Services: BB:100Mb TV:XL+SkySports&ESPN Phone:M
resander is an unknown quantity at this point
Has Superhub a WPS button that can blink red&blue?

The Superhub gives very poor wifi coverage upstairs, so I have obtained a Huawei WS320 wifi repeater as an interim measure before buying a router for modem mode.

The Huawei manual and posts by huawei reviewers say:

- press the WPS button on the router.
- press button on the Huawei and wait for the green ready light to come on
- move the huawei repeater to a place where wifi is weak to boost signal

The green light on the Huawei did not come on.

According to article 'Using the Push N Connect button to add a WPS client to the Virgin Media Super Hub' at VM http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...ER_TYPE=Cable:

'1. Press and hold the Virgin Media button on the Super Hub for two seconds, and then release the button (holding down the button for too long will disable the wireless signal altogether).

The Virgin Media light should blink red and blue for a period of up to two minutes while the Super Hub searches for nearby compatible WPS devices.'

I pressed the button on the Superhub for 2-3 seconds (the one with the Virgin logo on the front panel), but it did not blink red and blue. Tried many times.

I phoned Virgin customer support and was told that the Superhub does not have a WPS button (older (super)hubs had he said).

What is the truth?

Ken
resander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-01-2013, 12:11   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Has Superhub a WPS button that can blink red&blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by resander View Post
The Superhub gives very poor wifi coverage upstairs, so I have obtained a Huawei WS320 wifi repeater as an interim measure before buying a router for modem mode.

The Huawei manual and posts by huawei reviewers say:

- press the WPS button on the router.
- press button on the Huawei and wait for the green ready light to come on
- move the huawei repeater to a place where wifi is weak to boost signal

The green light on the Huawei did not come on.

According to article 'Using the Push N Connect button to add a WPS client to the Virgin Media Super Hub' at VM http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...ER_TYPE=Cable:

'1. Press and hold the Virgin Media button on the Super Hub for two seconds, and then release the button (holding down the button for too long will disable the wireless signal altogether).

The Virgin Media light should blink red and blue for a period of up to two minutes while the Super Hub searches for nearby compatible WPS devices.'

I pressed the button on the Superhub for 2-3 seconds (the one with the Virgin logo on the front panel), but it did not blink red and blue. Tried many times.

I phoned Virgin customer support and was told that the Superhub does not have a WPS button (older (super)hubs had he said).

What is the truth?

Ken
I have a wps light and switch on my shub but as i thought it does not work in modem mode which makes sense as it interacts with the router portion of the shub, however if i change back to router mode the WPS button works fine. My shub is one of the older versions.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 12:40   #3
resander
Inactive

The Huawei repeater works with the Superhub in router mode. After it has been intialised to work with the Superhub downstairs, the Huawei repeater would be moved upstairs to the room where the wifi signal is weakest. The Superhub router-part will still feed wifi to equipment downstairs.

VM installed the Superhub here in January 2012. Would that be a 'new' Superhub? Were the old Superhubs different and when did VM stop using them?

Ken
Old 19-01-2013, 12:48   #4
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by resander View Post
The Huawei repeater works with the Superhub in router mode. After it has been intialised to work with the Superhub downstairs, the Huawei repeater would be moved upstairs to the room where the wifi signal is weakest. The Superhub router-part will still feed wifi to equipment downstairs.

VM installed the Superhub here in January 2012. Would that be a 'new' Superhub? Were the old Superhubs different and when did VM stop using them?

Ken
There's no differance as far as i am aware. They all have a WPS button so not sure where CS got the idea that some dont have a WPS button.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 12:53   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you are having problems with the physical button, you can try the admin interface one. It's under Advanced Settings > WPS Settings and then click 'WPS Sync'

You can also double check there that WPS access is enabled
Old 19-01-2013, 17:13   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

There is only one version of the Superhub available at present and they all have "the button"

There was some scandal about WPS security holes which resulted in a lot of manufacturers disabling it though...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 17:22   #7
resander
Inactive

After having pressed the button on the front panel of the Superhub for about 0.5 seconds the button starts blinking in blue. Still pressing button, after another 1.5-2.0 seconds the button reverts to solid blue. There is no red colour blinking at all during this period or after stopping pressing the button.

Using the browser interface shows that security mode is WPA-AUTO.

Accessing WPS settings on Advanced settings via the browser interface shows:

- WPS Enabled: set/on/true (in checkbox)
- WPS button: selected (by radiobutton)

According to the Help text for the WPS Settings dialog these two settings imply that the WPS/Logo button should work.

I also clicked the WPS Sync button in the WPS Settings dialog. Should the physical button blink in red and blue after this (to show the hub is in device detection mode)? It did not.

I am beginning to think the WPS is not working on my Superhub. Is there anything else I can do to demonstrate this before I contact VM customer support again? If someone on this forum could press this button and let me know that it definitely should blink in red and blue that of course would make my case stronger.

Ken
Old 19-01-2013, 20:15   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Try WPS on another device? Easiest way to see if WPS is working is to try and use it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote