Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Local TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Local TV

Old 24-06-2014, 16:59   #61
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age
Re: Local TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
None of those TV companies exist anymore.
They were also regional, not local
Hence my using the word "used"

Regional news was more accurate and more "local" than these new so called local companies anyway....

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
I know! I'm being sarcastic back
I wasn't being sarcastic. They were decent firms who made good honest shows and ITV is a sad shell for not having them anymore imo

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
He was joking, CJ.
:-)
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2014, 17:02   #62
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
Hence my using the word "used"

Regional news was more accurate and more "local" than these new so called local companies anyway....

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

I wasn't being sarcastic. They were decent firms who made good honest shows and ITV is a sad shell for not having them anymore imo

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------
not being sarcastic now. ITV was never local tv, it was REGIONAL television based on areas of many towns and cities.

:-)
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 16:18   #63
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

So London Live is predictably trying to get out of its local commitments:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/gre...ocal-tv-london

It's not London and it's not Live...
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 18:18   #64
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I have to say I think it's a shame, and I agree with the article - they've certainly tried to make it work. It's actually not a bad channel, certainly compared to some of those with national licences, and I'm not convinced by the public apathy argument. What I would say is that, for a multitude of reasons, London does not, to me, have the community feel that other parts of the country appear to enjoy. Rather, it is a mix of communities living side by side, and that mix is deepening. I'm not sure how you cater for that.

I have a feeling that the experiment will be more successful elsewhere, but it also feels like something that probably came 20 or 30 years too late. Competing with multi-channel tv packages and an increasing shift towards time-shift viewing and streaming services was always going to be difficult.
Old 25-08-2014, 13:14   #65
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Belfast Local TV Channel NvTV has confirmed that they will relaunch on Freeview on September 29th.

Also viewers in Brighton & Hove can now turn into tests for Latest TV (Launching on Thursday). Latest TV will also launch on Virgin Channel 159 in the Brighton & Hove area.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 16:30   #66
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

local tv has massively nose dived. i wonder how america can succeed so well and the uk fails? population is the only reason? doesnt america have like 100 different versions of channels?

i remember being hungover once watching fox 59 a local news channel based in the deep south...i watched it for 3 hours in bed having no idea what was going on but it seemed a big professional channel.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 17:17   #67
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
local tv has massively nose dived. i wonder how america can succeed so well and the uk fails? population is the only reason? doesnt america have like 100 different versions of channels?

i remember being hungover once watching fox 59 a local news channel based in the deep south...i watched it for 3 hours in bed having no idea what was going on but it seemed a big professional channel.
Because, as it's been probably been mentioned, the US local TV are affiliated to the big networks like your example Fox 59. They are basically the same as the old ITV regions (but smaller) showing the popular programmes in peak time but having opt outs for local programming such as news.

Actually - it would be more akin to say in Liverpool having 5 stations called LBBC (local TV showing BBC shows) LITV (local TV showing ITV shows) etc etc
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 06:20   #68
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Notts TV are doing very well

http://www.nottstv.com/news?id=54
Old 29-08-2014, 11:13   #69
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Seven Local TV Channels test starts.

Freeview viewers in Belfast, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Tyne & Wear, Liverpool and Southampton areas can now view test cards for NvTv, Made in Bristol, Made in Cardiff, Made in Leeds, Bay TV Liverpool, Made in Tyne and Wear and That's Solent.

Q: WHERE DO I FIND MY LOCAL TV TESTS?
A) Freeview viewers in Belfast, Bristol, Leeds, Tyne & Wear, Liverpool and Southampton areas can find test cards for NvTv, Made in Bristol, Made in Leeds, Bay TV Liverpool, Made in Tyne and Wear and That's Solent on Freeview Channel 8.

Freeview viewers in Cardiff area can find test cards for Made in Cardiff on Freeview Channel 23.
Old 24-10-2014, 11:16   #70
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

STV: STV bids for local TV licences in Aberdeen, Ayr and Dundee.

STV today (24th October 2014) confirmed it has submitted applications to Ofcom to deliver local TV in Aberdeen, Ayr and Dundee.

The applications have been submitted in partnership with Robert Gordon University and North East Scotland College in Aberdeen, the University of the West of Scotland (UWS) in Ayr, and Abertay University and Dundee and Angus College in Dundee.

http://www.stvplc.tv/blog/2014/10/st...ayr-and-dundee
Old 24-10-2014, 17:32   #71
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Having tried "Made in Cardiff " I guess it just as well only people in Cardiff see it. To my mind it is rubbish. I was really looking forward to it as well, Hy Ho
Old 24-10-2014, 20:38   #72
braysoj1
cf.geek

Services: virgin media xl , freeview, sky
braysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to all

will i get made in leeds in keighley or is keighley getting it own
braysoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 21:18   #73
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Can't get my head around this, how much TV do people actually watch? Going by some of the posts in here it must be near 24/7.......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 21:44   #74
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysoj1 View Post
will i get made in leeds in keighley or is keighley getting it own
As things stand you won't get either. According to this a Keighley channel would be technically possible, but at the moment nobody is planning to run one.

You might be able to get Made In Leeds on Freeview.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 14:15   #75
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Ofcom reveal new list for local TV.

Ofcom has today reveal the list of local TV Broacasters hoping to run the local TV Channel in the following areas:

Aberdeen: Around Aberdeen (Run by STV)
Ayr: Ayrshire Today (Run by STV)
Carlisle: That’s Carlisle
Dundee: View from the Bridges (Run by STV)
Inverness: ICTV
Stoke on Trent: Bay TV Stoke

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

More info at: http://www.a516digital.com/2014/10/n...v-licence.html