Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Super hub and gaming on wifi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Super hub and gaming on wifi

Old 26-04-2012, 12:48   #1
pesty
Inactive

Services: Big Daddy Bundle
pesty is an unknown quantity at this point
Super hub and gaming on wifi

Hi all I'm having the superhub installed next week and going up fom 50 meg to 100 meg. My concern is that I play my consoles online through wifi and hear storys that the superhub is no good for gaming on Xbox live etc. how true is this as at the moment my virgin modem with the 50 meg service is pretty good. It never disconnects ever and I nearly always get a good signal and good speed through it. I'm just hoping that I'm not going to encounter endless problems with the superhub as I also have alot of other appliances that are used through the wifi laptop iPad iPhone etc.
I'm going on one of the new deals where you get broadband upgrade and TiVo installed for no extra outlay, infact it's costing me £3 less a month it's going from £109 to £106.
pesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2012, 12:56   #2
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough
Re: Super hub and gaming on wifi

Stick the superhub into modem mode and keep your current router if it's good enough already, or tell the techie you want to keep your modem.
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 13:00   #3
pesty
Inactive

Will they let you keep the modem then and are you saying the superhub will be problematic regarding online gaming.
Old 26-04-2012, 13:05   #4
GavChap
Inactive

GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Superhubs tend to have a higher ping and more jitter, and the wireless isn't very good.
Old 26-04-2012, 13:20   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I game on my superhub and have had no issues gaming on my Xbox via wifi.

Yes some people have some problems but not everyone does.
Old 26-04-2012, 21:49   #6
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

IMO if you care enough about games to post a question like this on a forum, you really shouldn't be using Wi-Fi for gaming - no matter what router.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 00:57   #7
pesty
Inactive

I have no choice but use wifi for gaming due to my modem and router being upstairs and my consoles being downstairs. I've been gaming online using wifi for 6 years with very little or no problems so far. That's why Im dubious about the superhub and how it will perform wirelessly.
Old 27-04-2012, 02:19   #8
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have got my superhub down stairs and xbox upstair ethernet is the best possible connection while online gaming but even the superhub gives lag i just live with it now fifa and call of duty the worst for it. wireless on superhub is only good enough for laptops and phones tbh
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 09:13   #9
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Anybody who needs to rely on wi-fi should expect problems with the SH. By all means try it but be prepared to attach your own router to the SH, the SH should be operated in Modem Mode.

Incidentally, you can use Homeplugs like I do between floors and then you can operate wired. We use wireless for iPads/iPhones and the visiting daughter. Serious stuff is wired.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 10:41   #10
GavChap
Inactive

I can get around 130Mbit from wireless over two floors... That is 5GHz wireless N though, and not through a SuperHub. I've got a VMNG300 connected to a Netgear WNDR3700 router running both 2.5 and 5GHz.

But then I seem to be in a rather low contention area, check out my TBB Ping chart: