Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help required with cable distribution

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Help required with cable distribution

Old 19-10-2011, 22:50   #1
Everest30
Inactive

Everest30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help required with cable distribution

I am a little bit stuck.
Befor digital switchover occured, the output of my V+ box was distributed through cable around thr house with channels 1-5 also available.
Now I have added a HDD dvd recorder.
All the cables for each room are in place.
What I want is to be able to watch V+ on all TV's and be able to watch DVD from the DVD recorder in each room.
I have tried putting a RF modulator from the output of the recorder to cable and an input from the aerial into the modulator.
The modulator will distribute the signal, but when i add the aerial to the mosulator the picture quality on all the other tvs is terrible. If i unplug the aerial I can watch whatever is on the HDD/DVD recorder i.e. the input from the V+ box.
Unfortunatley I need the aerial connected so I can choose between DTV on the other tvs and ATV for V+/ DVDs.
It's getting a little too complicated for me.
I have a distibution amp in the loft but it only has 1 UHF input and 1 VHF input. the ideal would be to combine 2 UHF outputs and a VHF input in the loft and send it round the house.
Can anyone advise best setup?
Everest30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2011, 23:21   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Help required with cable distribution

Are the RF output frequencies for the V+ and DVD/HDD recorder on the same channel so they interfere with each other? No idea how or if you can change them.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 23:26   #3
Everest30
Inactive

scart output from V+ to DVD recorder. Scart output from DVd recorder to Modulator.
Aerial input to HDD recorder, aerial output to modulator.
Old 20-10-2011, 00:10   #4
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

you can change the RF channel number inside the engineers menu
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 17:41   #5
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

As mentioned above, you will need to change the RF output channel of the V+ box.

The reason for this is its on the same channel as a freeview mux, that is why without your aerial connected you have a good picture around the house, but when connecting your roof aerial the picture is awful.

If you know what transmitter your roof aerial is pointing at, Google that transmitter and you'll be able to findout what channels are in use for Freeview and be able to set the RF out of the V+ box to one which will not clash
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 22:43   #6
Everest30
Inactive

SORTED !!!!
Too much boost for a start.....
was originally sending freeview aerial to V+ and combining with output to distribute a signal into a KONIG amp before sending up to loft, but poor signal and freeview TV upstairs only recieved 61 channels (lost Film 4 etc)
Now V+ box connected to DVR recorder, output on recorder goes to Rf modulator. UHF cable from modulator staight up to loft box.
Combine Digi Aerial and Modulator Cable into Distibution Amp.
Amp sends Freeview signal and whatever is on DVD recorder to all TV's in house.
Now get over 100 Freeview channels on the upstairs tv compared to the original 61, even got film 4 back.
So now have the option to watch Freeview, DVD, DV input, USB input or whatever else I plug into the DVD recorder on every TV in the house, even the ones that are 20 years old !
RESULT !!!! I am relieved !