Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Health & Safety query for ladder work?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Health & Safety query for ladder work?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:37   #1
seibu
Inactive

seibu is an unknown quantity at this point
Health & Safety query for ladder work?

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum.

I'm currently in the recruitment process for Field Technician role in the Birmingham area (working for VM directly, not subby), and am after some information as regards to what VM's H&S policy on ladder's are, as reading the threads, there seems to be different answers from different members. This question is ideally aimed at VM installation staff.

Now, I currently work for a very large Satellite based company... (Yes, you know the one!) and anyone who has worked/works for them will know that H&S on ladder work is a challenging affair to say the least. For example, if we use a step ladder side on, we are to eyebolt the ladder to the wall, and even if we go 1 rung up on a single section ladder, we are to eyebolt to the wall, use a microlite, laddermate, rope's and harness + PPE. I can understand doing this on triple section/CAT ladder work, but it does feel it's gone over the top.

Therefore, my question is, if I do start working for VM, working in-house for them, what ladder(s) will I be issued with and what practices/equipment is to be used with them? Is it the same practice as I'm used to, or not as rigerous?

Thanks everyone
seibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2011, 15:39   #2
ppc
Inactive

ppc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Health & Safety query for ladder work?

Seibu, Vm do not work at the same height as your previous company however they do have very clear H&S regs for short duration works from ladders. You do not work above 5 meters from a straight ladder, but must use where safe to do so both a micro lite standoff and a ladder stopper. They did have body harness and the reuseable eye bolt however to the best of my knowledge this is no longer used. You should NEVER use a step ladder side on. All ladders are class 1 or EN131 and if you are successful in your application you will undertake full training including H&S
ppc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 23:09   #3
seibu
Inactive

seibu is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Health & Safety query for ladder work?

Thanks PPC, that has answered my question. Fair point about the step ladder
seibu is offline   Reply With Quote