Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I've come to the darkside....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

I've come to the darkside....

Old 21-10-2009, 04:20   #1
SB_07
Inactive

Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
SB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation era
I've come to the darkside....

yes, i've ordered a PS3 and it should be here on Thursday.

Which games are essential to have in your opinion? I'm already going to get Uncharted 1 (2 after), Blood siren & MGS4 and i already have MLB the show on it's way to me.

Is there anything i should know regarding settings, updates etc?

SB_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2009, 10:37   #2
zing_deleted

Re: I've come to the darkside....

I love Fight Night round 4 myself and singstar for the family lol
Old 21-10-2009, 10:42   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Guitar Hero is great if you're into that sort of thing
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 13:59   #4
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

I love halflife (the orange box)

Nothing really to tell about updates, you get a message saying an update is available and the PS3 downloads it..
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 19:18   #5
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age
Bulky has reached the bronze age

Killzone 2 is a must play imo
Old 21-10-2009, 19:20   #6
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Killzone 2 and inFamous are both excellent games.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 21:38   #7
SB_07
Inactive

Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
SB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation era

Thanks for the ideas guys. The PS3 came today and it's better than i expected, the media server is awesome, there's not loads of bright in your face stuff like there is on the 360 dashboard and IT'S QUIET.

Looking forward to getting a couple of games tomorrow.
SB_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 21:52   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Uncharted 1 & 2, and MGS4, are three of the system's "must have games" IMO, & they're already on your list.

If you like platformers, and/or are creative, you may enjoy LittleBigPlanet. I loved it, plus it's quite cheap now.

If you're a fan of hack 'n' slash action games, there's Heavenly Sword, Devil May Cry 4, & Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2. Personally, I found DMC4 boring & NG1 too frustrating. I loved Heavenly Sword though. Nothing deep, but a good story, very cinematic, & some fun action.

Also, God of War 1 & 2 (two of the PS2's most acclaimed games) are coming to the PS3 soon on one disc as the "God of War Collection", remastered at 720p with AA & 60FPS. The UK/Europe release is "some time in 2010", but it's out (region free) in the US in November & can be bought online from places like Movietyme.com for around £26.

Not played Killzone 2, but have heard it's very good.

Resistance 1 & 2 are pretty good FPS. Not outstanding, but good fun & now on budget.

Some PSN Games I'd recommend (like XBLA games) are Super Stardust HD, Riff Everyday Shooter, & Wipeout HD.

You mention media... If you currently use WMP11 to stream, I'd recommend switching to PS3 Media Server. Streams more than WMP11, & will transcode anything the PS3 doesn't natively support.

Also, if you have any .mkv files, you can play them on the PS3 without transcoding (so long as the audio is AC-3). They just need to be re-muxed into a PS3-compatible container (such as .m2ts) using something like TSmuxeR or mkv2vob. mkv2vob will also transcode DTS to AC-3 for those files that have DTS instead of AC-3. Or, just stream .mkv files using PS3 Media Server / TVersity, as both will re-mux on the fly.

Oh, & get yourself signed up to PSN & whack your ID in here (if you want to share it):

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/18...k-psn-ids.html
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote