Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Box isn't turning on

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Box isn't turning on

Old 14-08-2009, 20:24   #1
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light
Sky Box isn't turning on

I'll start from the beginning.

The Sky box and satellite dish are both around 10 years old. (The box is made by Amstrad) It's worked fine for all those years.

We received our new Sky viewing card, and changed it.

We followed the instructions provided on the leaflet and the TV. (On for at least 24 hours, and change it while the green light is on)

Sky worked fine for a couple of days, and then we went away for a week.

We came back earlier today, and have recently tried viewing Sky. At first, it would come on, but after about a minute, the picture would get stuck, but sound would still carry on. We couldn't use the menu functions, change channel, or do anything apart from turn it off at the wall.

We thought it might be the new card, so we put the old one back in, and we still have the same problems.

Can we get a new free Sky box?
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2009, 21:55   #2
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: Sky Box isn't turning on

How old is the box? If it's less than 12 months, then yes an engineer will be required..
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 22:02   #3
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Try unplugging the box, hold Back Up and plug it back in still holding back up until an update message comes on screen. Let it update and see what happens. Are you paying insurance for the box cause if not Sky will charge you a £65 call out charge.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 22:20   #4
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

As it's an old Amstrad box then i'd say that the PSU section of the box has gone. Basically the capacitors on the PSU board blow(if you know what your looking for, check for domed tops on all the electrolytic capacitors).

www.satcure.co.uk used to provide kits to fix boxes with this issue, perhaps they still do.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 09:22   #5
arcamalpha2004

10 Years? thats not bad mileage
There is the facility to contact sky on their website.
Through my own experience with a similar issue I contacted sky by email saying that they should cancel the subscription as I was not able to enjoy the programmes through the existing fault and I had no extended cover on the box, it was over 12 months old.
They replied a day later with the offer of a free engineer visit to look at the problem and if needed replace free of charge the sky plus box, which they did, both parties myself and sky happy
Good luck.
Old 15-08-2009, 11:07   #6
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

The Sky box is connecting to the TV through the Aerial out socket, into the TVs Aerial in. I have changed the connection to a SCART lead, and that has the same problems. So that means that it isn't the output causing problems.

The old Sky viewing card does the same thing, so its not the card.

Sky are trying to charge £65 for a call out, and possibly more if they say we need a new box.

I'm not the bill payer, I'm posting on behalf of, so information isn't steady.

We are looking at other TV solutions, and considering cancelling Sky.

Questions: We live in an area which can't get Virgin Fibre Optic.

1. Can we still get Virgin Digital TV? (through a standard copper telephone line)

2. Will Virgin ever Fibre Optic this housing estate?
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 11:27   #7
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

£65 isn't bad, the full price of the box is much more. If you tell sky you are cancelling due to the box failure they may try to reach a compromise but if VM haven't fibred the area then you won't be going with them any time soon. Don't tell Sky that though if you call them, tell them you are being quoted for a VM install and really don't want to move but don't see any option. 10 years is not bad at all for a failure, ours just went and the cheaper option for us was upgrade to HD for approx £70 for new box and install etc.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 13:40   #8
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Since you're not in a contract just threaten to leave them and they should be able to sort it out for you for nothing. When a relative of mine left sky they were quoted all sorts, free Sky+ box etc. You're best of ringing on a Thursday apparently as it's when all the offers are given out for customers wanting to leave, so i've seen on other forums.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote