Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ping Test

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Ping Test

Old 09-02-2008, 19:21   #1
Richard Rogerson
Inactive

Richard Rogerson is an unknown quantity at this point
Ping Test

Having read through some of the Posts/threads I have started to use Speedtest.net to keep an eye on the speeds attained from my 20MB Virgin Media link that we use to watch Simply TVs Russian TV channels. At the best time of the day when I am getting full speed the Ping Test shows a delay of 68 ms and this gives rise to some freezing of my received picture. This rises to 103ms at the worst times (9pm to 11pm) when download speed drops to 9MB.
Looking at other peoples results I see that my Ping delay is much more than the average 20-40ms that they are experiencing. Virgin broadband support tell me that when they run the modem diagnostic the Ping shows up as 13 to 45ms but I have never seen such a short delay on all the tests I have carried out.
I have a NTL250 modem and a D Link Wi Fi Router which are co-located. Is there anything I can do to improve things?
R
Richard Rogerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2008, 19:35   #2
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude
Re: Ping Test

Have you tried the tests without the router in the set-up, direct connection from modem to pc That's all I can suggest, sorry, but I'm a bit thick on the subject other than that
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 20:04   #3
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Have you tried pinging the tv site via the command line instead of using the speedtest.net figure as a guide?

You can get multiple results instead of a one off.

ping [the address of the simply tv site] -n 10 will give you 10 results...

[edit]

This is what I get:

Code:
[cobbydaler@goldmund ~]$ ping -c 20 www.simplyglobal.tv
PING www.simplyglobal.tv (212.78.86.26) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=1 ttl=117 time=20.0 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=2 ttl=117 time=20.4 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=3 ttl=117 time=20.1 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=4 ttl=117 time=19.6 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=5 ttl=117 time=20.3 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=6 ttl=117 time=20.8 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=7 ttl=117 time=21.1 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=8 ttl=117 time=19.4 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=9 ttl=117 time=20.3 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=10 ttl=117 time=20.3 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=11 ttl=117 time=19.9 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=12 ttl=117 time=20.0 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=13 ttl=117 time=19.9 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=14 ttl=117 time=23.0 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=15 ttl=117 time=20.3 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=16 ttl=117 time=19.2 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=17 ttl=117 time=23.2 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=18 ttl=117 time=21.9 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=19 ttl=117 time=20.4 ms
64 bytes from simplytv.co.uk (212.78.86.26): icmp_seq=20 ttl=117 time=20.1 ms

--- www.simplyglobal.tv ping statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% packet loss, time 19002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 19.299/20.570/23.296/1.054 ms
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 20:13   #4
xcellency
Inactive

xcellency is on a distinguished roadxcellency is on a distinguished road

My average ping results are over 500
xcellency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 23:46   #5
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

When VM Tech Support ping your connection they are inside the VM network like you are so pinging the website you connect to will be different depending on internet congestion (which Tech Support don't see because its still inside of VM) and also other factors such as amount of people using that particular site etc.

That is why you cannot presume because speedtest.net shows higher pings that there is neccessarily a problem with your connection.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 20:49   #6
Noggo
Inactive

Services: VM XL broadband, Sky+ TV and BT phone
Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Rogerson View Post
we use to watch Simply TVs Russian TV channels. At the best time of the day when I am getting full speed the Ping Test shows a delay of 68 ms and this gives rise to some freezing of my received picture. This rises to 103ms at the worst times (9pm to 11pm) when download speed drops to 9MB.
If the server that you are getting the feed from is in Russia then your ping of 68ms is good. I sometimes play on Russian games servers and anything around 60ms is alright (when everything is running OK).

I would suggest using a program like Ping Plotter or Visual Route to trace the route to the server, it might show up where the problem lies. You might be getting a lot of packet loss somewhere. Shouldn't think it's Russian side at 9-11 pm as it would be the middle of the night in most places, so off-peak.

Post the server IP or address where your getting the feed from
Noggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:42   #7
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I too get very low pings at speedtest.net. ie. between 110ms and 180ms and I am on a 50mb connection!

However if I ping a variety of servers from the command prompt results are much better eg. for bbc.co.uk I get 9ms latency.

If you are not sure how to ping from the command prompt follow this:-

Go to START then ACCESSORIES. There you will find COMMAND PROMPT. When it's open type - ping BBC.co.uk . After a few seconds activity you will be given an upper, lower and average result.

Try this with your Russian TV server and a variety of others. Sometimes you need to type the www. sometimes not. I got an average of 16ms with simplyglobal.tv . With Wolfenstien - Enemy Territory Euro and USA games servers I get pings under 20ms.

Incidentally I find speedtest.net test servers very inconsistent for measuring up and download speeds. Within a single 24 hours I got results ranging from 59mb to 15mb download speeds at the London server. At this time 50 mb connections are unaffected by peak traffic issues. The problem is speedtest.net .
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote