Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | cable tv not working correctly

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

cable tv not working correctly

Old 11-01-2008, 19:11   #1
suepage
Inactive

Services: virgin media cable
suepage is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation cable tv not working correctly

H my name is sue, have just discovered this forum. Am looking to see if anyone has experienced the same problems as me. My virgin media tv service is not working properly. I am now on my 3rd cable box in 2 months. If i unplug the box from the wall and leave all night/several hours when i reboot the service seems to work fine for a couple of hours then i get messages saying my smart card is invalid and i will not be able to get all my services. Eventually the box jams and i have to reboot. Once i have done this after about 4 mins the box jams and the remote will not turn over the channel. After another 7mins the sound is replaced by a buzzing. Sometimes the picture freezes and sometimes carries on playing but no sound and i can't turn over so i have to reboot. This happens over and over again till i just get fed up and switch off. Sometimes i have checked the technical stuff in settings and it says com error on the card status. The thing is everytime i have an engineer here they just say its the box and replace it. Its ok till about 2 hours after they have gone and then it starts again. I am sure something else is going on. I have had my main cable replaced recently so i don't think its that. Sorry to waffle on but has anyone else experienced the same problem.
suepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2008, 19:21   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: cable tv not working correctly

Welcome!

It's definitely either a box or smartcard fault. When they've swapped the box, do you know whether they left you with the same smartcard? If so, it's probably a faulty card. You'll need to call them. Again.

Also, make sure the box there's plenty of space around the box to keep it cool. Sometimes these problems only show up when the box gets hot.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 19:39   #3
suepage
Inactive

Not sure whether my card was swapped. But i will make sure the engineer changes it this time. There is plenty of ventilation around the box so i don.t think that's the problem and i have been with cable for over 9 years now and i have never had a problem till recently. Engineer coming next wednesday so i will let you know if it improves.
Old 11-01-2008, 19:47   #4
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: cable tv not working correctly

As spider has said it could be the card causing the fault it has been known for the card to cause the fault not the box it would be best if the tech changed both card and box then its fingers crossed
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 19:40   #5
suepage
Inactive

Just wanted to thank you for your replies. Seems you were right. It was the card. So far has been 8 hours and not 1 freeze or unwanted message and channels turn over fine. So fingers crossed thats it!