Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I hope Virgin Media don't go down this route

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I hope Virgin Media don't go down this route

Old 29-08-2007, 19:34   #1
wtaylor82
Inactive

wtaylor82 is just really nicewtaylor82 is just really nicewtaylor82 is just really nicewtaylor82 is just really nicewtaylor82 is just really nicewtaylor82 is just really nice
I hope Virgin Media don't go down this route

BT have introduced an increase into there setup charge (which replaced the minimum call charge of 4.5p). This charge was 3p but is to now be increase to 6p

On top of this mobiles calls will no longer be charged in timebands e.g. Daytime, Evening and Weekends, these will be replaced by Daytime and Evening.

While the consumers things they have a better deal of getting a lower rate for mobiles in-fact there will be a substain increase in rates applied.

Also take into consideration that billing is done by the minute rather than second now.

Scenario: 3 minute 30 secs call to a 02 Mobile. Timed at 3.30pm on Sunday

Old rate Example:

Weekend rate is 4.5p
Rate = 0.03 + (0.045 * 4) = 0.21

New Rate example:
Daytime rate is 7.8p
Rate = 0.06 + (0.078 * 4) = 0.372

This is an increase of 16p.

Ain't these people nice.

Hope this was useful
wtaylor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2007, 22:41   #2
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2
Re: I hope Virgin Media don't go down this route

that is a discusting increase approx 75% i don't think virgin would follow
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 22:53   #3
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabmania2 View Post
Can this be saved for later embarrassment.
Old 29-08-2007, 22:59   #4
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Screenshot taken.
NTLVictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 08:28   #5
wtaylor82
Inactive

wtaylor82 is just really nicewtaylor82 is just really nicewtaylor82 is just really nicewtaylor82 is just really nicewtaylor82 is just really nicewtaylor82 is just really nice

Quote:
I would of thought virgin will follow play. They did with the per minute rounding.

BT have now increased it again, Carphone are following suit, along with another few providers.

This is a very easy way to increase revenue.
wtaylor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 17:06   #6
Magilla
Inactive

Magilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Weird, judging by the broadband changes since VM came into existance I'd say that VM will *almost certainly* implement something similar!

"A way to extract more money for the same or less service than is already in place" seems to be VM's new mantra....
Magilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 22:11   #7
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Virgin already charge 6p connection for any call made outside of your package. Example, if you are on Talk evening and weekends (or whatever it's called now) you pay 6p connection charge during the day. This has been since march
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 16:06   #8
[darren]
Inactive

[darren] is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw this today...
Virgin Media reverts to dinosaur call rounding days

Quote:
CUSTOMERS of Virgin Media have received a note saying that from October the 6th, it will charge calls on a minute rather than a second basis.
Is this true? I can only assume they want to push customers away...
[darren] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 19:38   #9
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Err weren't Virgin Media the first to introduce such charges????

On Telewest between 2003 and 2006, the following were increased/introduced:

Local cable to cable calls at week evenings: Moved to 2p per minute and now 3p per minute plus a 6p connection charge. This was initially just 6p per call an hour and in the mid-90's was completely free!

Calls to landlines at evenings: Virgin Media are charging 3p per minute formerly 2p per minute to call landlines at week evenings plus a 6p connection charge. BT charges 5.5p per call for a whole hour! So a 30 minute call to a landline on Thursday night would cost 96p with Virgin Media whilst it would cost just 5.5p with BT.

One flat rate was introduced to calling mobiles and the only new timebands were Day,Evenings and weekends. They did use to charge a seperate rate per network. All calls incurr a 6p connection charge.

Oh! and to call 0844 and 0871 numbers look out for Virgin Media's 12p connection charge! They used to charge 6p connection charge for all sorts of calls but for certain 08 and 09 numbers, they sneakily increased the charges thinking that nobody would know.

Virgin Media really needs to shape up because Free weekend calls seriously doesn't win BT customers, BT charges just 5.5p per call for an hour for weekend calls which is nothing really. Even telephone packages are more expensive than BT by £2 to £3.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote