Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Used Number

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Used Number

Old 19-08-2007, 01:10   #1
willas00
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV L, PlusNet BB, PlusNet Landline
willas00 will become famous soon enoughwillas00 will become famous soon enoughwillas00 will become famous soon enough
Used Number

Had my landline installed on Tuesday just gone and its a re-used number. Had voice mail messages on there from an employment agency. Not impressed to know the number is used. Rang up 150 some bloke gave me an 0800 number to ring said tell them your number and it will be droped from all databases. Only the number dont exist. Any one any idea what this number is or if there is any thing i can do to stop or if i can get another number thats not Used!

Thanks
willas00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2007, 12:29   #2
PaulH225
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media Vivid 200 Broadband, TV XL & Tivo, Phone L
PaulH225 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Used Number

The 0800 number was probably for the TPS (Telephone Preference Service), you can go online and register here. All they do is add you to a list of do not call numbers for telemarketing companies, the companies can then reference this list and remove you from their lists. There's also the MPS (Mailing Preference Service) for junk mail here.

Regarding getting your number changed, I believe it's possible. There was the high profile case of the mother given a young nympho's number who was offered a number change. Should be able to call CS and get it sorted.

Hope that helps
PaulH225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 13:08   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Unfortunately there is only a certain amount of numbers VM can give a new customer, so it always a possibility that you will get a used one.

All numbers are kept out of circulation for a minimum of 90 days after someone disconnects to avoid someone having a number assigned the day after its disconnected elsewhere.

AFAIK BT assign a number per house so when you move in you get the same number as the last people (unless they've taken it with them)
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 14:10   #4
Akia

I know when my telco line was first installed. It was a business number. I rung staff accounts and they gave me a new number thats never been assined before. Only problem is its a 0114 3XXXX number as most people from Sheffield know the normal numbers are 0114 2XXX so when I give it out on one belives its a legit number.

Just ring Customer Care and they can do a number change for you. Only problem is they won't be able to know if its been used before so you may end up with a number that gets even more calls
Old 19-08-2007, 16:37   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Still getting calls for the previous owner, maybe I should make a few forged applitions for credit in his name
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 15:54   #6
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

When I moved to an old address on BT I was told the previous owners had some pesty calls. I got the number changed, exdirectory and TPS immediately.
The main issue was that parts of the town including me had short phone numbers
eg 01234 8xxxx and some long 01234 6xxxxx. The number of sites that refused the short number.

(BTW 01234 is not the real STD code)
Old 21-08-2007, 15:57   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

We were given a number that used to belong to a 24-hour haulage company.....that was fun.....
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote