Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky goes terrestrial [Merged]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky goes terrestrial [Merged]

Old 08-02-2007, 16:36   #1
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Sky goes terrestrial [Merged]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6343715.stm
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...t-service.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Sky is to make some of its most popular programmes, movies and sports available on digital terrestrial television.
Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News will disappear from digital terrestrial to make way
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2007, 17:23   #2
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
Re: Sky goes terrestrial

Live premiership football for free? Doesn't sound bad...
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 17:25   #3
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Live premiership football for free? Doesn't sound bad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalspy
The new service will allow customers to receive some of Sky's most popular programmes - including sport and movies - through a conventional rooftop aerial and a DTT box for a monthly subscription.
Except it's not free. You need to buy a new freeview box and subscription. Now if I was the cynical type I could suggest that Sky might use this as a way to say "We don't need to give cable our channels, if people can't put up a dish they can use an aerial."

Luckily I'm not the cynical type.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 17:31   #4
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
Except it's not free. You need to buy a new freeview box and subscription. Now if I was the cynical type I could suggest that Sky might use this as a way to say "We don't need to give cable our channels, if people can't put up a dish they can use an aerial."

I read that as digital freeview. *writes out 100 times, I must read posts/links properly*

Be interesting to see how much content they eventually provide and what cost.

Good for people who can't get Sky and/or VM.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 20:58   #5
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

ohhh, but its seems everyone missed the most IMPORTANT point.
a 3rd party available DVB-T PCI/USB2 box that can do mpeg-4 AVC decoding
(not just your old mpeg-4 ASP [divx/xvid] or the old outdated mpeg2 only).

"Pay-TV battle
Sky will replace its three existing DTT channels with four new 24-hour streams using the more efficient Mpeg4 compression technology.
The company hopes a range of set-top box manufacturers will start making receivers with compatible software once the service has launched. The announcement came on the same day that Sky's cable rival NTL/Telewest relaunched under the name Virgin Media. "

that means MPeg-4 AVC/H.264 to be made available to the DVB-T transport steam, and in doing so makes it far more likely and helpful to the hope that the Hi-Def BBC trials will become available country wise.

once again making NTL's opting for the outdated and far more wastful Mpeg2 codec look even more short sighted and flat earth thinking

thats were the 4 new AVC channels into the 3 old mpeg2 channels space works great, as AVC is far smaller yet has as a lossless mode.

i assume the 3rd partys DVB-T box makers will also include all the abilitys they learned from the DVB-T/DVB-S(2) HD bbc trials, mbaff etc in the new boxs? not that they need use them to start with but its always wise to include all your future profit making/hardware usability options inside the initial prototype board for others to licence and copy for everyones benefit later.

all we need than is some good PCI and USB2 PC cards that can also take the DTT subscription slot/card and we are ready to tap directly into the transport stream for a far better quality PC playback that your average stand alone SD cable/sat box (as they dont have anything but analogue out) .

anyone know of a current DVB-T card or USB box that takes the DTT cards as these id assume would be the first to offer the new AVC (mpeg-4 part10) 3rd party kit?.

in combination with something like this http://www.ruckuswireless.com/produc...iaflex_router/ your really starting to rock with end user content options.

to see how good AVC can be just look at some of the AVC encoded trailers etc here
http://www.zudeo.com/az-web/content/...edContent.html
and gont get fobbed off by salesmen that try and sell 'mpeg4' as the term, remember to ALLWAYS ask but does it do AVC/H.264

rememeber mpeg-4 asp IS OLD divX/Xvid [Mpeg-4 part2]
the new MPeg-4 AVC is what you want [Mpeg-4 part10] (along with mpeg2 and VC-1 if you must).

No contest really, you have to admire SKY, as Virgin Media gives you masses of flashy adverts and a rebranding but no new end user usability or innovation (thats liberate software boxs for you).

SKY gives you a potential new DVB-T innovation with real AVC content that can only grow better as 3rd partys are allowed to give end users what they want to pay for, unlike the current closed cable network that could be so much better if 3rd partys were allowed access to users cable ends.

and dont forget if sky does DVB-T AVC then the other broadcasters are sure to follow, as it then makes it easy to take off the old digital mpeg2 channels and replace them with far more AVC DVB-T channels, and thats before they even start to think about the old alalogue turn off and all the extras that will possably enable if they give some of the released spectum back to the broadcasters use.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 22:08   #6
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post

So they expect us to pay for Freeview... lol

What an absolute joke - I understand Sky have a right to say "not all our customers are allowed a dish or cable for whatever reasons" but they make enough revenue to keep Freeview what it really was intended for surely.

I remember when freeserve used to be free... that soon changed as well.

Sorry but Freeview rubs me up the wrong way... its great if your stuck in an area where you cant get sky or cable... but I predicted when it first come out it wouldnt really be "free" for very long... (least not the good channels anyway)
Old 09-02-2007, 00:06   #7
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

So............let's get this right !

Anyone with built in digital freeview, are now having channels taken away from them, to make way for new subscription channels, which can't be viewed, because they are Mpeg4 broadcasts................

Thanks a lot Sky !
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 00:10   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I'm not happy about this.
Old 09-02-2007, 00:20   #9
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I'm not happy about this.
Quote:
The launch of the new service is subject to approval by Ofcom
I hope ofcom step in here personally.

However judging by ofcom's recent news that the space left by analogue in a few years time, will be up for auction as apposed to giving any space for further freeview channels, I doubt it very much. No way the likes of ITV etc can compete with Sky/Cable in an auction.
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:28   #10
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

well this is a joke, lets remove free channels and replace them with paid for ones, not only that but lets make it so people need to buy new equipment to even recieve them
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:45   #11
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Free ? No chance, pay Sky a subscription and then have to buy a Sky freeview box too...... sounds like a rip off to me. OFCOM should tell them where to go but then we know OFCOM have verys small cojones
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:56   #12
Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Free ? No chance, pay Sky a subscription and then have to buy a Sky freeview box too...... sounds like a rip off to me. OFCOM should tell them where to go but then we know OFCOM have verys small cojones
I don't see what the big fuss is about. Advertising revenues are falling. Sky will spend money developing the STB, and providing the equipment to do the compression, and will pay to maintain it. Add to this the fact that if you don't want to pay Sky for these channels then YOU DON'T HAVE TO! Sky can only sell this product to people who actually want to pay for it
Too many people seem to want everything for free. You don't want to pay then do without.

Popper, VLC will play Part10 Level 3 streams OK. Obviously you need the unencrypted stream.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:54   #13
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
I don't see what the big fuss is about. Advertising revenues are falling. Sky will spend money developing the STB, and providing the equipment to do the compression, and will pay to maintain it. Add to this the fact that if you don't want to pay Sky for these channels then YOU DON'T HAVE TO! Sky can only sell this product to people who actually want to pay for it
Too many people seem to want everything for free. You don't want to pay then do without.

Popper, VLC will play Part10 Level 3 streams OK. Obviously you need the unencrypted stream.
From previous post
Quote:
Sky will replace its three existing DTT channels with four new 24-hour streams using the more efficient Mpeg4 compression technology.
The company hopes a range of set-top box manufacturers will start making receivers with compatible software once the service has launched.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:52   #14
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

I understand that Sky 3, Sky News and Sky Sports News are the free channels being dropped - it's a shame that Sky 3 is going, and Sky News is OK-ish when there's a breaking news story, but I wouldn't be sad to see the back of Sky Sports News if I was a Freeview user.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:02   #15
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

No, the government loves Murdoch.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote