Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is phone optional?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Is phone optional?

Old 26-01-2007, 17:33   #1
MichelleUK
Inactive

MichelleUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Is phone optional?

Hi,

We have had an NTL phone line for years but never really used it. We only had it because when we signed up there was no choice and it was "bundled" with the TV prices.

We had trouble with the BT phone the other day and I tried to use the NTL line instead but it seems to not be working.

I am not sure I can face the struggle to get it repaired and wondered if it is possible not to have the line at all anymore (The recent bill showed the £11 phone fee separate from the TV for the first time this month so I wondered if we can now get rid of the line as it no longer linked with the TV).

I could ring Customer Services but not sure I could face that either today (apologies, I am feeling a bit pathetic today and the hanging on in the queue could finish me off!)

Thanks for any help,

Michelle
MichelleUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-01-2007, 17:51   #2
Justy
Inactive

Justy has a spectacular aura about themJusty has a spectacular aura about themJusty has a spectacular aura about themJusty has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Is phone optional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleUK View Post
Hi,

We have had an NTL phone line for years but never really used it. We only had it because when we signed up there was no choice and it was "bundled" with the TV prices.

We had trouble with the BT phone the other day and I tried to use the NTL line instead but it seems to not be working.

I am not sure I can face the struggle to get it repaired and wondered if it is possible not to have the line at all anymore (The recent bill showed the £11 phone fee separate from the TV for the first time this month so I wondered if we can now get rid of the line as it no longer linked with the TV).

I could ring Customer Services but not sure I could face that either today (apologies, I am feeling a bit pathetic today and the hanging on in the queue could finish me off!)

Thanks for any help,

Michelle

Phoneline is not optional with tele - the only service that you can have without a phonel line is broadband.

Ps... keep smilin - it's the weekend!
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 18:05   #3
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I am in the same boat as you. IE. being ripped off for a phone line that doesn't work.

As far as I know it is still an "obligatry condition" of receiving there "clunky" DTV service.

I think the reason is that the company is so mismanaged that they can't make any money from their TV service and so "force" us to subsidise it to the tune of an extra £11.00/month.

Maybe you could strike a deal with retentions/customer relations, trouble is they are so snowed under with people cancelling that usually you can't even get in the queue to speak to them.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 18:44   #4
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

IT is optional now - give CS a ring and they'll remove it for you - there may be a problem if the person you speak to doesn't know about it but it it is definitely optional now
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 18:50   #5
Justy
Inactive

Justy has a spectacular aura about themJusty has a spectacular aura about themJusty has a spectacular aura about themJusty has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
IT is optional now - give CS a ring and they'll remove it for you - there may be a problem if the person you speak to doesn't know about it but it it is definitely optional now
You sure mate... since when?
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 18:57   #6
Akia

You can have TV: Size XL without a TELCO line but any of the other packages you still need to have the line

The Solus TV is priced at: £25 per month
Old 26-01-2007, 19:02   #7
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
You sure mate... since when?
It's been posted on here several times over the past couple of months.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 03:02   #8
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysheff View Post
You can have TV: Size XL without a TELCO line but any of the other packages you still need to have the line

The Solus TV is priced at: £25 per month
You can also have the TV size L without the phone for £14.50.

These TV-only packages are available from 1st February.

http://www.whycable.co.uk/pricechang...Price_List.pdf

Old 29-01-2007, 18:05   #9
MichelleUK
Inactive

MichelleUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help everyone!

Michelle
MichelleUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 18:42   #10
Rone
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Rone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enough

I was told i had to have it, then when i cancelled today, they told me i did'nt have to have it, its just a lack of communication in the communications company.
Rone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 19:00   #11
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rone View Post
I was told i had to have it, then when i cancelled today, they told me i did'nt have to have it, its just a lack of communication in the communications company.
LOL

Yep, for anyone else unsure, having a phone line with digital tv is optional now as long as you have the XL package on your TV.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 22:57   #12
bubs999
Inactive

bubs999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
It is optional, as in you don't have to have the line, but you will still be charged the £11 for it, so you may aswell keep the phone. At least you can then phone CS for free using 150.
I spoke to CS today to sort out my billing and asked about the phone line, thats the reply I received.
bubs999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 23:15   #13
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs999 View Post
It is optional, as in you don't have to have the line, but you will still be charged the £11 for it, so you may aswell keep the phone. At least you can then phone CS for free using 150.
I spoke to CS today to sort out my billing and asked about the phone line, thats the reply I received.
I think that's not correct. Check http://www.whycable.co.uk/pricechang...Price_List.pdf. It states clearly that you can have TV Packages L + XL only without the phone line. Admittedly you save only £6.50 - but that's a saving.

It also states
Quote:
***Not available on NTL until 01st February
So you may like to call back after Thursday.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 23:25   #14
thechangingman
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD Talk Talk Pro BB & landline iPhone on o2 Mobile
thechangingman is an unknown quantity at this point

I rang today to ask to have phone line service ceased from 1st Feb and CS chap didn't know anything about it. He very helpfully took my mobile number and promised me a call back today ....... he must be working late... no call yet......
thechangingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 02:13   #15
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikesh View Post
...Yep, for anyone else unsure, having a phone line with digital tv is optional now as long as you have the XL package on your TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs999
It is optional, as in you don't have to have the line, but you will still be charged the £11 for it...
Sometimes I think my posts are invisible.

Thanks AndyCambs for reposting the link.