Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linking Ethernet Cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linking Ethernet Cable

Old 24-06-2003, 14:18   #1
Steve H
Inactive

Services: Freeview, 512k Pipex.
Steve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of Quads
Send a message via ICQ to Steve H Send a message via MSN to Steve H Send a message via Yahoo to Steve H
Linking Ethernet Cable

Hi all,

Ok, I've got 2 comps connected via a router, and the 2nd comp connected to the router is pretty far away.. and the ethernet cable goes under the floorboards.. Only just reaches to the computer.

Now, my brother wants to move this computer.. Which would mean the cable wouldnt reach to it.. Is there any way of linking 2 sets of ethernet cable together?.. If So, What Specific type does he need, as I can tell him to buy it on his way home..

Thanks
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2003, 14:32   #2
rmlaundon
Inactive

rmlaundon is an unknown quantity at this point
not sure if this is what you require but I have found a LAN Extender kit. priced in dollars

http://www.connectglobally.com/local...hernet_cables/
rmlaundon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2003, 14:36   #3
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
im sure i saw a connector in b&q for joining rj45 cable , here you go coupler

its half way down the page
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2003, 14:42   #4
Steve H
Inactive

Steve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of Quads
Send a message via ICQ to Steve H Send a message via MSN to Steve H Send a message via Yahoo to Steve H
Quote:
Originally posted by paulyoung666
im sure i saw a connector in b&q for joining rj45 cable , here you go coupler

its half way down the page
The page just stays blank
Old 24-06-2003, 14:43   #5
eddie00001
Inactive

Services: Sky Broadband Sky HD
eddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation eraeddie00001 has entered a golden reputation era
While we're on the subject of ethernet, is there anything that can change a cross over to straight (without having to wire up the cable)?
eddie00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2003, 14:51   #6
Enterian
Inactive

Enterian is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by eddie00001
While we're on the subject of ethernet, is there anything that can change a cross over to straight (without having to wire up the cable)?
You could link two crossed cables together, they will cancel each other out.

Edit: To link two cables you need a Cat-5 Coupler, Maplins do one at 4.99GBP
Enterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2003, 14:54   #7
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
The page just stays blank

keep trying it , i think the site is a bit dodgy it has just worked for me ok
Old 24-06-2003, 15:14   #8
Steve H
Inactive

ok thanks.. I think i know what we need.. Thanks Paul/Enterin
Old 24-06-2003, 16:11   #9
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

good stuff
Old 24-06-2003, 19:16   #10
CuddlesTC
Inactive

CuddlesTC is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Enterian
Edit: To link two cables you need a Cat-5 Coupler, Maplins do one at 4.99GBP
I've always thought of network cable as 'network cable', but does the above mean it's technically Cat-5 cable? Hope so, as I'm probably going to need metres of the stuff if my move goes through, and we happen to have metres of the stuff lying about at work
CuddlesTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 17:52   #11
Jonboy
Inactive

Services: XL Package With Souper Dooper Pooper Hub(sometimes)
Jonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to Jonboy
maplin.co.uk is the place you wanna be i got my joiner from their just under 4 quid i think
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 17:56   #12
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
These days when most people talk about network cable, they are refering to Cat-5
I remember the good old days of coax with BNC (bonus point if someone can tell us what BNC stands for)
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 18:04   #13
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Quote:
Originally posted by paulyoung666
keep trying it , i think the site is a bit dodgy it has just worked for me ok
Do a quick search at www.diy.com for rj45 if the page don't work, looks like you can get it delivered next day for 4.95 or 1.98 in store.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 18:06   #14
Jonboy
Inactive

Services: XL Package With Souper Dooper Pooper Hub(sometimes)
Jonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about themJonboy has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to Jonboy
BNC= B efore N tl C ap
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2003, 19:38   #15
CuddlesTC
Inactive

CuddlesTC is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Xaccers
These days when most people talk about network cable, they are refering to Cat-5
Excellent, that'll save me time and money. Ta
CuddlesTC is offline   Reply With Quote