Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | photoshop, pencil drawings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

photoshop, pencil drawings

Old 05-11-2004, 18:55   #1
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones
photoshop, pencil drawings

I'm just wondering if anyone can help. I have some scanned line drawings that i wish to render and make look a bit fancier, but am having trouble. Is there any tool or way into photoshop to convert the faint pencil lines into something a bit more robust, to block-fill certain areas, etc?

I am not expecting much and have had some results by applying a darkening layer, is there anything else i can do though?

an image is available at http://davestones.com/rear.tif (copyright me, 2004)

cheers
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2004, 10:51   #2
.jackson
Inactive

.jackson will become famous soon enough.jackson will become famous soon enough.jackson will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: photoshop, pencil drawings

I had a dabble with your image using photoshop 7. I found that if you go to filter, brush strokes then dark strokes and set the settings to 10, 3 and 10 then you get an image this this...
.jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 16:09   #3
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: photoshop, pencil drawings

Well I can't help you.It being saved in quicktime and under copyright I can't download the image to help you.

First of all it helps if when you import into Photoshop that you use your scanner software carefully.
here are three scanned in images of my own drawing.

The first is under colour photo,the second is black and white docuument and the last is set as text/line art.

As you can see there is a wide variation of results.

Incog.
Old 06-11-2004, 16:14   #4
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Well I can't help you.It being saved in quicktime and under copyright I can't download the image to help you.

First of all it helps if when you import into Photoshop that you use your scanner software carefully.
here are three scanned in images of my own drawing.

The first is under colour photo,the second is black and white docuument and the last is set as text/line art.

As you can see there is a wide variation of results.

Incog.
Quicktime? It's a TIF file, which is nothing to do with QT.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 16:33   #5
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bifta
Quicktime? It's a TIF file, which is nothing to do with QT.
Well I can't download it at all.

Anyway in Photoshop you can take whichever format you choose for your piccy and then go to Image/Adjustments and choose Threshold.This will immediately convert your image to black and white and by using the slider you can vary the results.However if you have the text/line image choice then it is not necessary to change it.

Incog.
Old 06-11-2004, 16:37   #6
Kliro
Inactive

Kliro has reached the bronze age
Kliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Kliro

This seems to give some decentish advice

http://www.good-tutorials.com/track/2300
Kliro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 16:39   #7
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

http://www.scottyb.co.uk/images/rear.tif

All yours...
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 17:03   #8
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Well I can't download it at all.

Anyway in Photoshop you can take whichever format you choose for your piccy and then go to Image/Adjustments and choose Threshold.This will immediately convert your image to black and white and by using the slider you can vary the results.However if you have the text/line image choice then it is not necessary to change it.

Incog.
You must have .tif assigned to something like QT (somehow), you should still be able to right click it/save as and open it manually in Photoshop.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 22:08   #9
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones

thanks everyone that contributed, got some drawings that dont look half bad now

well, better than simple line drawings and should look good on a few posters
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote