Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Annoying Phone Spam

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Annoying Phone Spam

Old 12-08-2004, 20:12   #1
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them
Annoying Phone Spam

I've just had a call from a compay claiming to be www.youwonaprize.co.uk (IIRC, the website doesn't exist in order to check). The call was a recorded message, BUT because they had called me, I couldn't just hang up on then as everytime I picked up the phone, they were still connected

Has anyone else had these calls or know who is behind them?
PC_Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2004, 20:16   #2
clupet
Inactive

clupet is on a distinguished roadclupet is on a distinguished road
Re: Annoying Phone Spam

Yes I used to get these calls every Sunday, even pulled the plug out of the wall but that voice was still on the line. I dont know who was behind them but after the first few I felt the amount of sales calls i recieved increased incredibly. I ended up getting a bar on witheld numbers on my phone and it has made a huge difference.
clupet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 20:20   #3
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them

Funnily enough they didn't withold their number (09065175616) but if you call it you get a prerecorded message but 09065 numbers are charged at £1.50 per minute (!) so I didn't listen to it
Old 12-08-2004, 20:51   #4
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

this may be of some use , it seems to have worked for me
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 21:16   #5
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Paul beat me to it.It's been wonderful since I signed up to TPS.If someone phones and I tell I'm with TPS they can't get off the phone fast enough.

Got rid of all the power utilities constanly phoning up.
Old 12-08-2004, 22:05   #6
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Paul beat me to it.It's been wonderful since I signed up to TPS.If someone phones and I tell I'm with TPS they can't get off the phone fast enough.

Got rid of all the power utilities constanly phoning up.

, sorry miss i dont have to do lines do i
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 22:08   #7
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones

i used the TPS for my mobile. both our landlines here are ex-directory, havent had any calls at all like that ever. good thing i think
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 12:05   #8
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

I'm signing-up with TPS once we've changed our number - we moved house recently and NTL tried being helpful and transferred our old number to our new address. Unfortunately, however, the old number received an excessive amount of phone spam and debt collection agencies looking for a previous tennant

I've heard that if companies call you when you're on TPS, they are liable for a £5K fine - anyone know if this is true?
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 12:37   #9
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_Arcade
I've just had a call from a compay claiming to be www.youwonaprize.co.uk (IIRC, the website doesn't exist in order to check). The call was a recorded message, BUT because they had called me, I couldn't just hang up on then as everytime I picked up the phone, they were still connected

Has anyone else had these calls or know who is behind them?
You will have to let the message play itself out before they disconnect, I have had these messages on my answer machine.
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 12:41   #10
Flubflow
Inactive

Flubflow has a bronzed appealFlubflow has a bronzed appeal
Flubflow has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDW1975
I'm signing-up with TPS once we've changed our number - we moved house recently and NTL tried being helpful and transferred our old number to our new address. Unfortunately, however, the old number received an excessive amount of phone spam and debt collection agencies looking for a previous tennant

I've heard that if companies call you when you're on TPS, they are liable for a £5K fine - anyone know if this is true?
They updated the legislation last year but there seems to be little in the way of information on the details of penalties and offences on the TPS website.

I found that it only works for the the larger companies who use the TPS database and keep it updated regularly.
It doesn't stop the little companies who do it the old way by simply working their way manually through the telephone directory and don't cross reference to a TPS database.
We have two phone lines in the house under different initials so when we get a telesales call on one phone then I can guarantee that 5 or 10 minutes later the other phone will ring with the same telesales person. Very annoying.
TPS does stop the majority though and well worth registering.
Flubflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 15:16   #11
PC_Arcade
Inactive

I'm already with tps, which is why these calls annoy me so much

The problem with the pre-recorded ones though is that
a) you can't just tell them to sod off and
b) you can't hang up on them because it'll still be there when you pick up