Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CWS GoogleMS.3/ XXXtoolbar

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CWS GoogleMS.3/ XXXtoolbar

Old 18-06-2004, 23:16   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Question CWS GoogleMS.3/ XXXtoolbar

I use Pest Patrol as well as Adaware/Spybot and also use Spywareblaster. Recently P.Patrol keeps flagging up CWSgoogleMS.3 as a threat. I delete it but then if I check Spywareblaster it then tells me that XXXtoolbar is an unchecked item. No matter how often I delete CWS googleMS.3 from P. Patrol, it keeps flagging it. I have done a few searches and it does appear that Pest Patrol does give a false positive to Spywareblaster archives. If you delete CWSgoogleMS.3 from PP, you then find that XXXtoolbar.com is unchecked in Spywareblaster.

As yet I cannot find any way of preventing this, anyone else had this problem ?
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2004, 09:35   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: CWS GoogleMS.3/ XXXtoolbar

Can you not tell Pest Patrol to ignore the Spywareblaster directory?
I might do an install of pest patrol later to see what I can find if no-one resolves this for you before I get home
edit:
Just found this and they supposedly fixed the problem with an update somewhere around the 10th of June
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=33822
Will have another look later if you still have no answer
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 17:28   #3
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Thanks for the reply Paul, have only just been able to reach this site again. There is a facility to exclude files in Pest Patrol, unfortunately it doesn't work, I can select "Add" on the exclude interface, get an explorer type list, tick the Spywareblaster folder, click Add, then nothing happens, it is not added to any exclude list. The updater seems to be faulty at the moment as well. For the moment I will rely on Adaware & Spybot, I don't want XXXToolbar removed from the Spywareblaster list.
Old 19-06-2004, 17:41   #4
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Quick update, could not get the updater to work from within the program, however I have been able to do a complete update of the whole program including the pp strings from their website and it is now coming up clean on the scans.
Old 20-06-2004, 11:34   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Cool, sometimes installing the newest variant of the tool is the best way to go Glad its working Iadom
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 12:28   #6
Graham

An article which my be of interest...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/29/cws_shredder/
Old 29-06-2004, 16:09   #7
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
An article which my be of interest...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/29/cws_shredder/
Or of extreme concern,