Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help required with cable distribution

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Horrific Installation - photos included

Old 30-09-2011, 21:06   #1
dan_
Inactive

dan_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Horrific Installation - photos included

Hello all,

I arranged for a Virgin Media package to be installed on Wednesday 28th September, this includes telephone, wireless broadband and a tv package.

The time slot for installation was between 8am and 1pm, so I took a day off work to be at home whilst the installation took place. 12:30 arrives, and the engineer phones me and tells me he will be later than expected, and should arrive within the next hour. I waited until 14:45 for him to arrive.

When he arrived, he asked me where he wanted the services installed, so of course, I pointed in the direction of the TV. The engineer then finds out that the Virgin wires come into the house on the other side of the room. Rather than run the wire on the outside of the house, he decided it would be a good idea to run it through our living room. The thick black wire was installed along a skirting board, up a door, along the top of the door, down the other side of the door, and then chucked behind our sofa. The wire is pinned up and down the internal door, but runs completely loose on the floor behind our furnature. It looks absolutely hideous, and I don't understand what he was thinking when he did this. (see the attatched photo's of the job).

The engineer installed the TV and the wireless router (the Virgin box is second hand and only has 3 legs - not what you expect when going into an 18 month contract @ £33.00 a month!). Now, to the phone line. The original BT socket was no use for the new Virgin line, so the engineer decided to completely install a new line and box on the wall. He proceeded to drill through our wall so enable the cables to come into the house, but he did not use a dust sheet (see attatched photo's - the engineer has destroyed our cream carpet). The box for the phone line is not screwed into the wall correctly, it hangs off the wall, it's not level, and it doesn't even work.

When I thought it couldn't get any worse, I took a trip to the outside wall where the engineer drilled through (also see photo's). He has ripped the wires out, left them out in the open with no cover, in fact, the cover for the wires that protects them from weather is in pieces on the floor!

When the engineer had left, I checked through the work he had done, and this is when I contacted the Virgin Customer Services to complain about the horrific installation. I was assured that the area manager would call me the following day. Thursday arrives, no call. Friday arrives, no call. I called customer services today (Friday) and spoke to someone who then put me on hold for 28 minutes (please bear in mind I don't have a land line because of Virgin, so the call was costing me 0845 rates from my mobile). I ended up terminating the call because I was waiting for so long, and then called back. I spoke to a really helpful guy in the customer relations department, but again, he put me on hold for 14 minutes and I never got the problems resolved.

Any ideas on what I can do?

dan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2011, 23:00   #2
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
re: Horrific Installation - photos included

Can't believe they didn't give you a choice of cable colours!!

(Joke BTW, some of the members here will get it...)

Installer did a nice job by the looks of it.

We are not an official fourm, but some members here do work for Virgin and I'm sure one will volenter to get it resolved - or at least speak to somebody at Virgin.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 30-09-2011, 23:10   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Can't believe they didn't give you a choice of cable colours!!
Lol

But as you can see in the last picture they installed both black *and* white!
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 23:20   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

HOLY ****, thats the worst ive ever seen, black is not supposed to be installed inside. You need to call up and chose the option "thinking of leaving us" and explain you want the cables re-installed or its see yaaaa
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 23:26   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
HOLY ****, thats the worst ive ever seen, black is not supposed to be installed inside. You need to call up and chose the option "thinking of leaving us" and explain you want the cables re-installed or its see yaaaa

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 00:49   #6
jordyGFC
Inactive

Services: Virgin XXL Internet, Sky+ HD All , BT Phone, iphone 4
jordyGFC is on a distinguished roadjordyGFC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jordyGFC

The worst install i have ever seen! jesus christ.
jordyGFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 16:59   #7
peachey16
Inactive

Services: 1TB tivo and vhd xl 50mb talk xl
peachey16 is an unknown quantity at this point

what area do you live in bud?
peachey16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 17:03   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

That is horrific, I think that I would have removed everything and told them to come and pick up their equipment and ensured that you had cancelled everything.

That is the best advert for getting SKY that I have ever seen but even I would rather go Freeview than have that installed.

Those pictures should be used in engineer training to show exactly what not to do.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 17:04   #9
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Lol

But as you can see in the last picture they installed both black *and* white!
your using that install as a guide to what's correct and what's not ?
Old 02-10-2011, 17:12   #10
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

That install is a perfect example of go back and do it again correctly

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 19:28   #11
dan_
Inactive

dan_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey16 View Post
what area do you live in bud?
I live in Poole, Dorset.

I have phoned customer services again, and they have arranged for someone to come back out on the 20th October. They didn't even ask if this was a convenient day (I am working all day).

There is no way I am having my house left like this until the 20th. I am going to remove all of the cables and put them in a box for them to collect. Virgin Media are a complete joke, and their customer service is so poor.

Hello Sky!
dan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 19:49   #12
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

send an email to neil.berkett at virginmedia.com and attach the photos - that's the CEO office, should provoke a somewhat quicker response.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 19:54   #13
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

This is a disgrace. They should come back & do thejob over again for free & with some compensation.
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 20:13   #14
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
send an email to neil.berkett at virginmedia.com and attach the photos - that's the CEO office, should provoke a somewhat quicker response.
You need to send it to neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk that is the correct Corporate email address as the .com will not get there, as above send all the above pictures as well and they should get back to you very quickly.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 23:58   #15
AGC123
Inactive

AGC123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Black rg6 wire internal should only be installed at cust request as it contains silicone that can be a health hazzard if set alight.
AGC123 is offline   Reply With Quote