Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Google Android

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Google Android

Old 03-02-2011, 20:21   #61
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
Re: Google Android

Those apps aren't installed on stock android versions, they need to be downloaded via the market.

I'm currently running 2.3.2 (the update came down last night).

I don't really do facebook so thats not an issue. Documents to Go is definitely NOT installed, and I've never heard of RoadSync...?

I have installed "Advanced Task Killer" and "Battery Meter" though.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 20:32   #62
Niles Crane
Inactive

Niles Crane has reached the bronze age
Niles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Again, it's vanilla Android 2.3 on the Nexus S i.e straight from Google. Those apps won't be there in the first place will they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
Those apps aren't installed on stock android versions, they need to be downloaded via the market.

I'm currently running 2.3.2 (the update came down last night).

I don't really do facebook so thats not an issue. Documents to Go is definitely NOT installed, and I've never heard of RoadSync...?

I have installed "Advanced Task Killer" and "Battery Meter" though.
Ah i see, that's interesting.
Niles Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 21:40   #63
soup dragon
Inactive

Services: XL BB, XL TV, V+
soup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of society

Quote:
Yeah I've been looking at the online market...quite impressive you can remotely install apps... its a pity you can't remotely remove apps though
i use this site, log in with your google account details, select and mark apps for install or uninstall, then just sync your phone using the appbrain market app.

simples

http://www.appbrain.com/
soup dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 22:11   #64
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
Rooting AutoKiller Memory Optimizer: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rs.autokiller (keeps my phone working more smoothly and saves a lot of battery power in the process)
You don't need it. Android does not work like Windows... It has been done to death on many Android forums

I have been running for a year without one and never had an issue with memory.
Old 03-02-2011, 22:34   #65
Strzelecki
Inactive

Services: 80/20Mbps FTTC on Freeola
Strzelecki has reached the bronze age
Strzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze age

Had my Desire HD a week or so now, replaces my Touch Pro 2. It's a million times better, so fast. Now looking in to writing some apps. Personally I've had no issues with battery life that lots of people have reported with the HD. One of the best apps has to be Tasker. I use it to turn wifi on and off depending on location together with ringer volume, silent etc. Not rooted it yet but probably will. Had to use custom ROMs (Energy) on my Touch Pro 2 to make it useable. WinMo 6 and 6.5 were awful compared to Android.
Strzelecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 22:44   #66
Niles Crane
Inactive

Niles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus View Post
You don't need it. Android does not work like Windows... It has been done to death on many Android forums

I have been running for a year without one and never had an issue with memory.
Well yeah, of course you don't need it, i'm well aware of the tedious memory debate. I ran for a year without one too, now i've been running for a month with one with clear benefits.
Old 03-02-2011, 22:49   #67
haydnwalker
Inactive

haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strzelecki View Post
Had my Desire HD a week or so now, replaces my Touch Pro 2. It's a million times better, so fast. Now looking in to writing some apps. Personally I've had no issues with battery life that lots of people have reported with the HD. One of the best apps has to be Tasker. I use it to turn wifi on and off depending on location together with ringer volume, silent etc. Not rooted it yet but probably will. Had to use custom ROMs (Energy) on my Touch Pro 2 to make it useable. WinMo 6 and 6.5 were awful compared to Android.
The Nexus S has replaced my Touch Pro 2 The TP2 would be a brilliant phone if it had capacitive screen and Android
Old 03-02-2011, 23:21   #68
Niles Crane
Inactive

Quote:
Well yeah, of course you don't need it, i'm well aware of the tedious memory debate. I ran for a year without one too, now i've been running for a month with one with clear benefits.
By the way, AutoKiller Memory Optimizer is not a normal "task killer" anyway. It's basically an automated way of doing this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666
Old 04-02-2011, 00:11   #69
Tuftus

I am not going to get this thread dragged in to another task killer one. You don't need one.

End.
Old 04-02-2011, 00:42   #70
Niles Crane
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus View Post
I am not going to get this thread dragged in to another task killer one. You don't need one.

End.
You've said that already. Nobody has claimed or even implied otherwise.

End.
Old 04-02-2011, 14:17   #71
Tuftus

You always have to have the last word don't you...

Old 04-02-2011, 14:26   #72
Zing

Quote:
run Forest run. How far did you go in the 12 months? did you keep going or turn around 6 months in?
Old 08-02-2011, 15:14   #73
haydnwalker
Inactive

Hi again all...

I just thought I'd give you a bit of a review on the Nexus S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pros of the Nexus S
  • Battery Life is pretty good (probably due to the sAMOLED Screen). I've managed to get 3 days from it normal usage (a bit of music, browsing, bluetooth, voice/texting).
  • Other power management in the OS is excellent.
  • Interface is Android, (2.3.2 Gingerbread) which is obviously good... I haven't had any apps crash on me yet which is always a plus point.
  • Warranty is a good one, at 24 months, however I've got a years accidental damage insurance anyway.
  • I've had no jittery interface from the machine slowing down, even with 8/9 apps running in the background.
  • Call quality gets about 8/10 as it breaks up occasionally when using the built-in loudspeaker but thats just a minor annoyance.
  • It's very light (being all plastic)
  • The Car Mode in Android - its absolutely brilliant! As soon as I connect my in-car bluetooth, it switches to car mode, which has big buttons for navigation/calling etc.
  • Comes in the box with an Approved Travel Charger (micro-usb to mains plug pre-wired)
  • Headphones that come in the box are OK, but don't stay in my ears very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons of the Nexus S
  • Its pretty big (4" screen) and thin - I wonder if it will snap in half in my pocket sometimes if I'm not careful!
  • Its piano black shiney! It's a scratch magnet - I would suggest to anyone to get a silicone skin/cover.
  • The Micro-USB cable that comes with it is REALLY short, so I've had to substitute it for a longer one.
  • Camera (5mp) isn't the best - I prefer the ones on the HTC phones that have touch to focus etc. It is acceptible though for quick snaps.
It isn't a comprehensive list, and if anyone has any questions about specifics, please post and I'll try and answer
Old 08-02-2011, 18:16   #74
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Android Event 02/02/11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfJui...layer_embedded

Its a bit long but very interesting especially 3.0 Honeycomb development.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:27   #75
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Hi again all...

I just thought I'd give you a bit of a review on the Nexus S.

It isn't a comprehensive list, and if anyone has any questions about specifics, please post and I'll try and answer
About it being a scratch and fingerprint magnet - your best bet would be to use a Zagg Invisible Shield for it, you can get them on ebay for about £18 and they offer a lifetime replacement guarantee. You can get cases for a lot cheaper of course but sometimes you can forget to keep them on - the Zagg stuff is like a screen protector but is pre-cut for all over the phone, it's almost indestructible. I have one on my Desire and just to show what it can do I've dragged a rusty nail over the the screen and it's not left a mark

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote