Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Google Android

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Google Android

Old 24-04-2010, 11:22   #16
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
Re: Google Android

I got the Nokia 5800 and its great does everything the iphone does and more,
Old 24-04-2010, 22:49   #17
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
does everything the iphone does and more,
Most phones seem to do that now
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 23:40   #18
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers View Post
Most phones seem to do that now
But not as well..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 23:59   #19
Dynamoo
Inactive

Services: Broadband = Virgin, TV = Sky, Phone = BT. It all works properly.. usually!
Dynamoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used the 5800.. and while it's alright, the current crop of Android phones just leave it in the dust.

Also, the Nokia N900 is a fine phone, but it doesn't have much software available for it.
Dynamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 00:05   #20
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamoo View Post
I've used the 5800.. and while it's alright, the current crop of Android phones just leave it in the dust.

Also, the Nokia N900 is a fine phone, but it doesn't have much software available for it.
Yup - but I always found symbian to be crap anyway - at the time I only had one reason for using it and that was because I had to use specific software on my phone.

I think the n900 is linux (Maemo) though?
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 00:14   #21
Dynamoo
Inactive

Services: Broadband = Virgin, TV = Sky, Phone = BT. It all works properly.. usually!
Dynamoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the N900 is Maemo rather than Symbian. I bought the very first Maemo device (the Nokia 770) when it came out. Maemo is OK, but Android seems to have a better choice of software and devices.
Dynamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 00:16   #22
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes, the N900 is Maemo rather than Symbian. I bought the very first Maemo device (the Nokia 770) when it came out. Maemo is OK, but Android seems to have a better choice of software and devices.
Yup I used to have a 770 (used it for sat nav and all kinds of things )

I find my HTC Desire much better than either my nokia 5800 I used to have or the iPhone I used to have.

But as with anything it has it's moments Still I look forward to updates with interest.
Old 25-04-2010, 00:30   #23
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Kind of on the same topic. My mum got a HTC Hero. Is there any FREE GPS Sat Nav software for it? I found out about "CoPilot Live", but that was paid............. so if anyone knows any FREE SatNav software then please let me know!

[You might wanna PM me "links" if required ].

I can't do this Google one, as I don't want it using the internet. I have an external Bluetooth GPS too, so I could possibly use that. I just need the SatNav software with UK Maps...
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 01:31   #24
Tony.
Inactive

Services: Triple XL (Phone,BB & TV) Samsung V+HD(30 meg Superhub)
Tony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk View Post
Kind of on the same topic. My mum got a HTC Hero. Is there any FREE GPS Sat Nav software for it? I found out about "CoPilot Live", but that was paid............. so if anyone knows any FREE SatNav software then please let me know!

[You might wanna PM me "links" if required ].

I can't do this Google one, as I don't want it using the internet. I have an external Bluetooth GPS too, so I could possibly use that. I just need the SatNav software with UK Maps...
You could try here
http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/73...n-sat-nav.html

HTH
Tony. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 12:30   #25
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Actually there is a lot of software for the N900 if you add the correct catalogues. More than I saw available on my friends HTC Hero though only just.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 22:05   #26
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

There's a nice interview with the VP of Engineering at Google on their Android project.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...thing-android/

I like this bit:

Quote:
Sometimes being open “means not being militant about the things consumer are actually enjoying,” he said.
Take note Mr Jobs.

Also Android 2.2 will get full Flash 10.1
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 14:46   #27
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

I just found out my HTC desire can read out loud articles on it's news reader app - Nice
Old 06-05-2010, 23:43   #28
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Just found that Ocado have got an app on Android for shopping including with voice search

Never used Ocado before, but had a play around with the App and it's very good. As they deliver to my area my have to consider trying them out. Doing my shopping on the bus to work sounds quite useful
Old 11-05-2010, 02:54   #29
Niles Crane
Inactive

Niles Crane has reached the bronze age
Niles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Google's Android operating system has outsold Apple's mobile phone system in the US for the first time, according to new research

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...s-apple-iphone
Niles Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:29   #30
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Hardly a surprise. The iPhone OS is only currently available on two handsets (not counting the iPad). Android is available for many more than that. That's like saying Symbian outsold the iPhone.

The real surprise is that one handset manufacturer (Apple) is outselling many (if not all) of the Android manufacturers..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote