Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Google Android

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Google Android

Old 08-11-2007, 00:34   #1
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Google Android

Linux-based open OS for mobile phones.

Can they seriously challenge the mighty Symbian & MS?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7078921.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7080758.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7082414.stm
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2007, 00:49   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Google Android

If its nice and lightweight, doesn't eat a lot of resources such as RAM memory and provides a scalable platform based on Open-Source technology then I reckon they could, their problem is, they've entered the market a bit late, we'll just have to wait and see!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:06   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

MS? yes. Windows mobile hasn't made a massive impact on the market.

Symbian? Possible, but unlikely. They'd have to persuade Nokia to use android. Nokia, being part owner of symbian would want a good reason.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:50   #4
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Stepping back a bit from mobile phones - it's becoming ever more obvious that the thing most likely to knock Microsoft from its perch is 'the web' in all its aspects. Google have been working on web-based applications for some time. For the user, this has many advantages. Want to send someone a document? Just email a link to it. It doesn't matter what the format is, the server will display it correctly for anyone. Use a word processing package from A.N.Other? No problem 'cos the server knows how to convert it to plain HTML for display on anyone's computer.

The problem with all of this is: what do you do when you're not connected to the net? This is where the suped-up mobile phone comes in and is, I'm sure, why Google are getting into this.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 19:25   #5
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

I've been watching some videos from Google about Android and the SDK that's been released. Any programmers out there would find interesting, especially MLM as its in Java.

It looks very good, I can't wait use it on phones.

One radical feature I have to mention though, the mapping works without GPS if its unavailable. Apparently it coordinates cell-tower IDs to give a rough positioning. Nice
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 20:09   #6
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
I've been watching some videos from Google about Android and the SDK that's been released. Any programmers out there would find interesting, especially MLM as its in Java.

It looks very good, I can't wait use it on phones.

One radical feature I have to mention though, the mapping works without GPS if its unavailable. Apparently it coordinates cell-tower IDs to give a rough positioning. Nice
I imagine myself crashing into the base of Crystal Palace transmitter.
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 10:46   #7
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

HHHmmm I wasn't sure where to put this but..

If you have a google android handset (1.6 or above) you can now update your google maps to use the google turn by turn navigation system for free.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/mob...tion&dc=gh4smm

I gave it a little go yesterday and found it very good (the voice is synthetic rather than human but I'm used to that lol). It ran in the task bar at the top and did indeed direct me properly while I walked home yesterday.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 10:57   #8
Tony.
Inactive

Services: Triple XL (Phone,BB & TV) Samsung V+HD(30 meg Superhub)
Tony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud ofTony. has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T View Post
HHHmmm I wasn't sure where to put this but..

If you have a google android handset (1.6 or above) you can now update your google maps to use the google turn by turn navigation system for free.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/mob...tion&dc=gh4smm

I gave it a little go yesterday and found it very good (the voice is synthetic rather than human but I'm used to that lol). It ran in the task bar at the top and did indeed direct me properly while I walked home yesterday.
That looks very interesting especially as 'the better half' is due a phone upgrade soon Her currant choice from the Three offerings are either the Sony Ericsson X10 or HTC Desire (Both Android Handsets)
Tony. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 10:58   #9
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I have a HTC Desire. I find it very nice indeed.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:13   #10
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony. View Post
That looks very interesting especially as 'the better half' is due a phone upgrade soon Her currant choice from the Three offerings are either the Sony Ericsson X10 or HTC Desire (Both Android Handsets)
the SE is plastic so its gonna get damaged. I think I am gonna go for the Desire in June unless there is something else new by then lol
Old 23-04-2010, 11:22   #11
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Even I am tempted by the Desire but I also love my iPhone Not fair. I think some of the aspects, like working closer with your google account, appeals to me but the app store plus iTunes in general (where I hold all my music) keeps me too the iPhone.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 11:28   #12
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Even I am tempted by the Desire but I also love my iPhone Not fair. I think some of the aspects, like working closer with your google account, appeals to me but the app store plus iTunes in general (where I hold all my music) keeps me too the iPhone.
You should check this out..

http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

For iTunes

As for the app store well it's true there aren't as many apps on the android market but it's getting there.
Old 23-04-2010, 12:10   #13
soup dragon
Inactive

Services: XL BB, XL TV, V+
soup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of society

i have had my desire for 4 days now and i lurve it! i installed the turn by turn for gmaps on Wednesday, the voice is a bit weird but im sure there will be extra voices soon.
soup dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 19:35   #14
Niles Crane
Inactive

Niles Crane has reached the bronze age
Niles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze age

I got an Acer Liquid a couple of months ago and it's great, especially as it was an upgrade to a 2006 era clamshell.

I specifically wanted Google Android and it hasn't disappointed. The only downside is Football Manager 2010 isn't available!

Street View is available on Google maps as well now, by the way.
Niles Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 00:33   #15
Dynamoo
Inactive

Services: Broadband = Virgin, TV = Sky, Phone = BT. It all works properly.. usually!
Dynamoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Motorola Milestone, which is nice. My wife has the HTC Desire which is *very* nice. Who needs an iPhone?
Dynamoo is offline   Reply With Quote