Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TV Wars: ITV VS Virgin Media

Old 16-05-2017, 19:10   #1
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
TV Wars: ITV VS Virgin Media

ITV could disappear from Virgin Media unless a £40 million disagreement is resolved

http://uk.businessinsider.com/itv-co...17-5?r=US&IR=T

Quote:
ITV will now negotiate new terms with Virgin Media. Virgin does currently pay for ITV's smaller sister channels, including ITV2 and ITVBe, but a source close to the talks said this deal expires in September. It paves the way for ITV to strike a new agreement, under which it will demand payment for its flagship station.

A source close to ITV and Virgin's talks did not guide us away from this figure.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2017, 19:14   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: TV Wars: ITV VS Virgin Media

More sabre rattling one suspects from ITV.
Old 16-05-2017, 19:15   #3
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

If this happens then Virgin will lose a lot of customers!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 19:36   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
If this happens then Virgin will lose a lot of customers!
It won't happen...
Old 16-05-2017, 19:51   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I thought the main channels (BBC1, BBC2 & ITV) had to be provided free ?

It would also be very short sighted of ITV to cut themselves off from viewers (advertisers would not be happy).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 20:26   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I can't think of the last time I watched an ITV programme?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 20:32   #7
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I can't think of the last time I watched an ITV programme?
Same here

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 21:08   #8
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

There will still be freeview no big deal for me!
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 21:15   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

LG could decide to simply buy more shares in ITV to make the issue go away!

At least they would be getting something for their money.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

It would also be very short sighted of ITV to cut themselves off from viewers (advertisers would not be happy).
The Digital Economy Bill due to be passed after the General Election will allow ITV to charge retransmission fees.

When it was pointed out that cable companies had a 'must carry' obligation towards the PSB channels, the Government said that they "didn't expect" this to happen with regards to traditional cable television companies.

ITV seem to have other ideas...

Interestingly, they must broadcast FTA on both Freeview and Freesat, so by definition they can't encrypt on Sky either.

They both need each other, so I agree with others when they say that this is unlikely to happen.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 16-05-2017 at 21:29.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 22:18   #10
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
ITV seem to have other ideas...

Interestingly, they must broadcast FTA on both Freeview and Freesat, so by definition they can't encrypt on Sky either.

They both need each other, so I agree with others when they say that this is unlikely to happen.
Base on that link I posted on post one we now know when we may see ITV Encore Channels on Virgin Media UK.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 22:24   #11
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

So the PSB's want retransmission fees off the pay TV platforms whilst enjoying EPG prominence on these platforms. Seems a little unfair to me.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 23:29   #12
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

I cannot remember the last time I watched an advert - my tv viewing is at least 95% time-shifted so I use the FF button to skip them.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 23:53   #13
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Personally none of my programmes have adverts in them, since they all come from the USA

However, some people still watch them, so advertisers would not be happy.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 00:04   #14
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So the PSB's want retransmission fees off the pay TV platforms whilst enjoying EPG prominence on these platforms. Seems a little unfair to me.
They want to charge fees to the pay platforms, yet the pay platforms cannot encrypt the channels to their customers to pass the cost on. Yet aonther crazy idea from the pen pushers out there with nothing better to do.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 09:01   #15
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Base on that link I posted on post one we now know when we may see ITV Encore Channels on Virgin Media UK.
I guess that depends on when the exclusivity deal with Sky is due to expire.

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 ----------

Quote:

It would mean fewer Virgin customers, but how many fewer? I would have thought that most people still have aerials. If not, they just need a Roku or similar device to access TV Player, which carries ITV.

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I cannot remember the last time I watched an advert - my tv viewing is at least 95% time-shifted so I use the FF button to skip them.
Same here. But if ITV was no longer carried on Virgin, I would simply record these programmes via my aerial to my DVD recorder. That's how I view most of the main terrestrial channels now as I spread the recordings between my DVD recorder and my two V6s to increase my HD recording capacity.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote