Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub Port Forwarding Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Newbie questions

Old 29-04-2012, 19:54   #1
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Newbie questions

Hi, So it seems I get a superhub on Wednesday. How will this affect my setup?

I use a cable modem and a tenda router to provide wireless to phone, laptop and media player. A superhub will affect this how?

-New network key?

-I presume I can still link my NAS drive to the superhub?

Thanks
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2012, 19:59   #2
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Newbie questions

just stick the superhub in modem mode and use your current setup
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 20:08   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

As just stated you can put the superhub in modem mode and it's basically then just a replacement for your existing modem..

If though you do use the superhub as a router you can use your existing key by just changing it in the superhub and also set-up the exact same dhcp config you have.

Some of us get on with the superhub OK, others have issues but it does very much depend on what you want it to do.. I have no problem streaming HD wired and wireless and have not really had an issue yet others have had major problems..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 20:11   #4
smallclone
cf.geek

smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys. I presume you can select modem mode on the PC? Or is there an actual button on superhub?

I know zilch about dhcp config, so modem mode looks safer bet.
Old 29-04-2012, 20:15   #5
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

You need to log in to the Superhub. 192.168.0.1 and change the settings.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:51   #6
smallclone
cf.geek

Right. Got me superhub. I think I'm happy!

-Installer advised that with my router - the speeds would only be about 24mps. So I agreed to use the netgear in the superhub as router
-I get differing results with different speed tests. But I get around 35 mbps -50mbs on my wired PC upstairs and 20 -40mps on my wireless laptop downstairs.

Here comes the thing I don't get though:

-with my £15 cheap router on 10mb - I had 5/5 signal strength on all devices.. Yet with my superhub - connected directly wired to PC I only get 4/5 signal strength. And 3/5 downstairs.

Why's that? I'm nto sure if it affects speeds, and I've tried changing channels.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:16   #7
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

As no doubt will be pointed out by others, the S'Hub has poor wireless performance for some installations. Some, like Kymmy, find it fine, others do not.
I personally use it in Modem Mode, and supplied my own router.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:44   #8
smallclone
cf.geek

What sort of ping time should I be seeing?
Old 03-05-2012, 14:22   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
What sort of ping time should I be seeing?
Here's mine on XXL50Mb

Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote