Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

New EU regs on charges

Old 11-05-2012, 11:54   #1
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light
New EU regs on charges

I see that the EU have passed new regulations on EU roaming.

As of July, data will be charged at a maximum rate of 56p per megabyte and calls will be capped at 23p per minute, plus VAT.

They have also passed regulation to allow customers to select different mobile operators and tariffs when going abroad, to give competitive pricing and allow users to keep their number but move to a different provider for going abroad. This will come into effect in 2014.

Always good news

I see Virgin currently charge a flat rate of £5 per megabyte unless you buy one of their packs. Quite some saving for those who are abroad a lot.
BenJSmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30   #2
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Re: New EU regs on charges

It's true that this will make it considerably cheaper, for calls and texts also. However I still don't understand why prices are not fixed throughout the EU.
Old 23-07-2012, 18:31   #3
Argy1
Inactive

Argy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just been onto CS about this, the VM website is still showing European Data
roaming charges as a flat rate of £5 per MB unless you buy one of their packs

I got passed from pillar to post as usual, eventually asked to speak to a manager who insisted that it was part of my T&C's that was the price I would have to pay

I quoted from the ofcom site

Data charges
A cap on roaming data charges in the European Union came into force on 1 July 2012.
This cap means that phone companies can charge no more than 70 cents (58p) per megabyte of data, plus VAT.

he wasn't interested at all, I asked that he escalate my complaint up and if I didn't hear back from someone at VM within 24hrs I would start a complaint via CISAS
Argy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 19:36   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Why is nobody moaning about the EU capping roaming charges?

Surely they shouldn't be interfering in our market by forcing phone companies to reduce their roaming charges by almost 90%?
Old 23-07-2012, 19:48   #5
Argy1
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Why is nobody moaning about the EU capping roaming charges?

Surely they shouldn't be interfering in our market by forcing phone companies to reduce their roaming charges by almost 90%?
Well it seems VM agree with you because as far as i can see they are just ignoring the EU capping Data roaming charges anyway
Old 23-07-2012, 19:55   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argy1 View Post
Well it seems VM agree with you because as far as i can see they are just ignoring the EU capping Data roaming charges anyway
Yes. It would seem to me they're on very dodgy grounds there, and could well be looking forward to a hefty fine if they are ignoring the roaming cap.

Edit: Having just looked at the site, it is rather ambiguous.

Quote:
Accessing Mobile Web: £5 per MB
From within the European Union, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Switzerland:

5MB Travel Pass = £3

10MB Travel Pass = £5

25MB Travel Pass = £10

100MB Travel Pass = £30

Text 'BUY 5MB' to 23456

Text 'BUY 10MB' to 23456

Text 'BUY 25MB' to 23456

Text 'BUY 100MB' to 23456

EU Data Travel Passes last for 3 months
It's not clear what the charge per MB within Europe is outside their packs. Yet, it would seem odd if the price per MB were higher than for the 5MB pack.
Old 23-07-2012, 20:14   #7
Argy1
Inactive

Thanks for that, the first CS I talked to said that the Data roaming charges shown on the VM website must be right or they wouldn't be on the website

The manager I (eventually) got to talk to didn't really know what I was talking about ref EU capping Data roaming that came in on 1st July

I'm going to Spain next week and wanted to know where I stood ref Data roaming, would rather this were cleared up before I went, but I'm not holding my breathe
Old 23-07-2012, 20:25   #8
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Thanks for that, the first CS I talked to said that the Data roaming charges shown on the VM website must be right or they wouldn't be on the website

The manager I (eventually) got to talk to didn't really know what I was talking about ref EU capping Data roaming that came in on 1st July

I'm going to Spain next week and wanted to know where I stood ref Data roaming, would rather this were cleared up before I went, but I'm not holding my breathe
Yeah. I agree that they should be clearer. They shouldn't be charging £5 per MB. I suppose you could buy one of the packs to be on the safe side. The bigger packs do work out cheaper than the minimum charge per MB
Old 23-07-2012, 20:57   #9
Argy1
Inactive

I did ask that someone phone me back, but if they don't i will try to raise a complaint via CISAS

All the VM website seem to want to is sell bundles, so how much will I be charged if I don't buy a bundle? the VM is not clear, surely it should say 58p per megabyte of data, plus VAT

might also, to be on safe side turn off surfing on my mobile while abroad
Old 23-07-2012, 21:06   #10
danielf
cf.mega poser

I agree completely. However: £3 for 5MB is 60p per MB, which is cheaper than 58p plus VAT. And 5MB isn't a lot to go through when browsing the web.
Old 23-07-2012, 21:06   #11
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
I did ask that someone phone me back, but if they don't i will try to raise a complaint via CISAS

All the VM website seem to want to is sell bundles, so how much will I be charged if I don't buy a bundle? the VM is not clear, surely it should say 58p per megabyte of data, plus VAT

might also, to be on safe side turn off surfing on my mobile while abroad
It would appear that VM have gotten around the new regs by selling roaming in bundles every site i have looked at including Which are listing the same prices as are on VM's web site

Quote:
It may be the smallest of the bunch, but Virgin's mobile offering has had to update itself along with the other operators to adhere to EU regulations.

To use the mobile internet in the EU, customers will have to purchase a data pass before connecting. It offers four options, depending on planned usage. For £3, users can get 5MB of data, with the price rising to £5 for 10MB, £10 for 25MB and £30 for 100MB.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240158967/Computer-Weeklys-guide-to-EU-mobile-roaming-charges
Old 23-07-2012, 21:42   #12
danielf
cf.mega poser

Looking around a bit suggests that VM aren't the only ones that do this. On O2 you need to buy a 'day pass' at £1.99 which gives you an allowance of 25 MB. That's quite a bit cheaper than VM's £10 for 25MB, but it expires after a day as opposed to VM's three months.

So, it would seem that VM isn't the only one, which would suggest they aren't breaking the law by forcing you to buy a bundle.
Old 23-07-2012, 21:45   #13
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Looking around a bit suggests that VM aren't the only ones that do this. On O2 you need to buy a 'day pass' at £1.99 which gives you an allowance of 25 MB. That's quite a bit cheaper than VM's £10 for 25MB, but it expires after a day as opposed to VM's three months.

So, it would seem that VM isn't the only one, which would suggest they aren't breaking the law by forcing you to buy a bundle.
crafty little buggers aren't they
Old 23-07-2012, 22:13   #14
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
crafty little buggers aren't they
They are indeed. But, in fairness, prices have dropped considerably from these extortionate rates of £5 per MB. £2 a day for or £10 for 25MB within 3 months for internet access abroad sounds quite reasonable. It's roughly 10% of what they used to charge for similar amounts of data.
Old 07-09-2012, 21:27   #15
gallego1
cf.addict

Services: V+ and tivo virgin mobile xl tv xl telephone and 120 bb Lewisham headend
gallego1 is an unknown quantity at this point

In spain in the summer vodaphone were offering 100mb and 100 texts for 10€ on payg lasts for one month and unused allowance rolled over also 10€ for 100 mins or an allowance I cant remember for international minutes i think 60 mins
gallego1 is offline   Reply With Quote