Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Installation using neighbours existing box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Install without TV

Old 02-08-2012, 23:27   #1
badhairday
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them
Install without TV

Maybe a daft question but can the VM install technician setup a tv/phone/BB bundle without a television present,only a laptop ?
The TV will not be ready in time.

Thanks
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2012, 23:29   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Install without TV

I would say no they can't - especially if it's TiVo
Old 03-08-2012, 00:09   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

There isn't really any reason why it won't install without a TV. Whether the installer would agree to do it without is another matter.

Can you borrow one?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 00:29   #4
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Don't you have a monitor with HDMI? Something like this

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 00:36   #5
badhairday
Inactive

badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them

No monitor,no spare tv sadly
Old 03-08-2012, 10:23   #6
pj 1984
Inactive

pj 1984 is on a distinguished roadpj 1984 is on a distinguished road

Service techs carry a test tv so install can go ahead no problem. Installers i dont know . All depends who you get on the day. Can you not borrow a portable from somebody for couple hours?
pj 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 00:22   #7
badhairday
Inactive

I am grateful for everyone's input and its obvious that I have to get a TV rather than risk the installers having one.

I'll get one from a second hand shop.

BTW does it have to have a HDMI socket or will a scart do for setup only ?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 00:34   #8
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I would imagine SCART only would be fine, you only need an HDMI cable if you want to watch HD programming, but you can buy one fairly cheaply once you get a HD Ready TV. Bought one on eBay earlier for just over a pound, free postage and packaging.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:29   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

SCART will be fine. Ask the installer to leave an HDMI cable for your new TV.
Old 05-08-2012, 00:19   #10
badhairday
Inactive

Thanks everyone for your help,invaluable as usual.

I was lucky to get a free tv via freecycle.org .
And it has a scart socket so I am ready now.
Thanks again
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13   #11
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I would say no they can't - especially if it's TiVo
why?

---------- Post added at 07:13 ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
There isn't really any reason why it won't install without a TV. Whether the installer would agree to do it without is another matter.

Can you borrow one?
he gets paid by the job why wouldnt he?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:07   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
he gets paid by the job why wouldnt he?
Because some techs still believe they have to set the default frequency. He may also want to confirm it's working.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

meh, not me, a failed install affects your core kpi
Old 05-08-2012, 19:07   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
why?
Admittedly it was a while ago now when I had my TiVo installed, but I thought that it was more sensitive to signal issues due to the BBI connection, so you need to see what it's saying.
Old 05-08-2012, 19:16   #15
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Admittedly it was a while ago now when I had my TiVo installed, but I thought that it was more sensitive to signal issues due to the BBI connection, so you need to see what it's saying.
all boxes have a modem, its a myth about more sensitive to signal levels, all boxes run docsis1 they all have a modem built in, otherwise you couldn't get catchup.