Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Opening Ports on Virgin?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Vista pc can't see other XP pcs on my network

Old 19-03-2009, 22:14   #1
meld51
Inactive

meld51 is on a distinguished roadmeld51 is on a distinguished road
Vista pc can't see other XP pcs on my network

This is something that happened a while ago and the solution was to download something called LLTD from the microsoft website on to my XP machines.

That solved it then but now I have the problem again. My XP machines are not seen again and I can't transfer files from them onto my Vista PC

I tried re-installing the LLTD but the download said that the XP machines were the latest SP and didn't need it.

I run network magic as well on Vista. This software provides an accurate network map so why doesn't Vista?

Any ideas anyone?
meld51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2009, 23:57   #2
KingDaveRa
Inactive

Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
KingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the rough
Re: Vista pc can't see other XP pcs on my network

I'd be inclined to check the simple stuff, like pinging back and forth. But it's possible that Windows has identified the network as public or something, and basically turned off file sharing.
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 05:20   #3
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Firewalls or Symantec perhaps?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 09:36   #4
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

have you enabled sharing on the XP machines, I've seen this before and thats how I solved it. and also as Dave suggested can you ping any of the xp machines from Vista, if not then again enable file and printer sharing on xp
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 09:46   #5
zing_deleted

are the xp machines on WORKGROUP? I take it forgranted network discovery is on on the Vista machine
Old 21-03-2009, 18:20   #6
smee init
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM 20Mb
smee init is on a distinguished roadsmee init is on a distinguished road

Hi just out of curiosity what does your network consist of e.g switches, hubs (although very old) and routers?
smee init is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 09:08   #7
meld51
Inactive

meld51 is on a distinguished roadmeld51 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies. For no apparent reason it all sprang into life yesterday. Don't know why...it's a mystery
meld51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 22:10   #8
RamJet
Inactive

RamJet will become famous soon enoughRamJet will become famous soon enoughRamJet will become famous soon enough

a solution :

1. unload Vista - check your licensing & if you can roll back to XP > run roll back If licensing probs there are a couple of firms doing a roaring trade on ebay selling licensed copies of XP_pro

2. Having got all the machines back to XP - make sure ONLY SP2 is loaded on all machines - if you find SP3 unload it & then install SP2 and then all the MS patches excluding SP3

then > you can see all the networked and/or wirelessed machines you have
RamJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:39   #9
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

Vista/Windows 7 can only see computers on the same workgroup/domain.

Ensure your computers are all on the same workgroup/domain.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:20   #10
zing_deleted

LLTD for some reason has not been updated for service pack 3.

To access Vista directories you need to ensure all permissions are in place. You need to enable network discovery and sharing. All shared folders other than Public need to have their permissions changed (no not share roots of hard drives)

Simply right click folder you wish to access on Vista machine select share. At the top you will see a drop down menu with nothing in it. Click down and select Everyone. You will then need to select an option other than read so select co owner if you want full control then click share and you will find your folder is now accessable