Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Webcam: Input or Output

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

RAR achives

Old 10-12-2006, 13:04   #1
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
RAR achives

I can't open them I thought WinZip opened them but clearly not - just prompts me to add files. All very odd - I'm sure I've opened RAR archives before Very coconut-esque. Anyone know of a free utility that will open them?
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2006, 13:10   #2
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby
Re: RAR achives

Just download winrar. It will nag you to buy it, but will continue to open rar's for you
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 13:10   #3
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

or you could use 7zip

http://www.7-zip.org/

My old work place used it, because they were too tight to pay for licences.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 13:11   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

WinRAR

It's shareware but not time limited. Just comes up with a nag screen on startup when the trial's expired.
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 13:15   #5
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Indeed - another vote for winrar here.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 13:53   #6
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Used both winrar and 7zip, if I had to choose one it would be winrar though.
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 14:23   #7
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

I use to use WinZip but when I found out they didn't open RAR files I switched to WinRAR and I think it's actually better.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 14:59   #8
Enuff

I also recommend Winrar.
Old 10-12-2006, 16:15   #9
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
or you could use 7zip

http://www.7-zip.org/

My old work place used it, because they were too tight to pay for licences.
7Zip it is, handles more file types than WinRAR does, and it's free.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 16:16   #10
Duke
Inactive

Duke will become famous soon enoughDuke will become famous soon enoughDuke will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Duke Send a message via MSN to Duke

Same, I used to only use Winzip I was like Winzip is the best thing ever.
Then along came Winrar, it changed my extracting, and zipping life forever!
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 16:17   #11
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

I use WinRar. I only use RAR and ZIPs so don't need anything else.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 16:18   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Winrar here, does everything i need it to.
Old 10-12-2006, 16:22   #13
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
7Zip it is, handles more file types than WinRAR does, and it's free.
Yeah, I usually use winzip and winrar, but since GC specified 'free' - rather than just 'virtually free' - 7zip seemed a good choice
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 17:37   #14
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

I have been sent a copy of WinRar - thanks very much

I'm sure WinZip on a Unix box can open .rar files - 'tis a while ago, though
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 17:43   #15
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Winzip 11 claims to be able to open RAR files.

http://www.winzip.com/prodpagewz.htm