Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Credit and debit card surcharges are to be banned

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Credit and debit card surcharges are to be banned

Old 19-07-2017, 02:52   #1
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Credit and debit card surcharges are to be banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

Quote:
Consumers are no longer to be charged extra for paying by debit or credit card, the government has said.

From January next year, businesses will not be allowed to add any surcharges for card payments
About time - ripoff charges

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2017, 09:02   #2
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Credit and debit card surcharges are to be banned

Good news.
Old 19-07-2017, 10:15   #3
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

does this mean when i pay my car tax online i won't get extra ££s added for buying it 6 monthly ?
Old 19-07-2017, 10:52   #4
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
does this mean when i pay my car tax online i won't get extra ££s added for buying it 6 monthly ?
I shouldn't think so as that's a charge for being allowed to spread your payments over more than one payment.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 10:55   #5
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I shouldn't think so as that's a charge for being allowed to spread your payments over more than one payment.
but there's no charge for monthly DD [ i think i'm right ]
Old 19-07-2017, 10:58   #6
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Think it might fall into a loophole where it's a discount for Direct Debit payments. It's different to a credit card surcharge I think.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 11:05   #7
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Think it might fall into a loophole where it's a discount for Direct Debit payments. It's different to a credit card surcharge I think.
i always pay on my debit card and it always carries a penalty

so does my water bill always a few quid extra for using debit card
Old 19-07-2017, 11:15   #8
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The original EU rules apply to Visa and Mastercard, the UK are extending this to AmEx and Paypal.

My dad worked on Chip and Pin for Visa and he said that while it's true that the card companies do charge businesses for accepting them the cost is still lower than banking cash (this was some time back when C&P first arrived). The existing rules allow companies to charge more for cards but the charge must be commensurate with their costs to accept. This hasn't been followed so now no charge at all is allowed.

But, will businesses now add the charge to the price which is allowed as it applies to all customers, then maybe offer a discount for certain purchases? This is probably covered but how can they watch that for a small business like a market trader that may offer you a deal, no receipt if cash so no record.
Old 19-07-2017, 14:27   #9
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

just seen on BBC news DVLA included in ban
Old 19-07-2017, 14:44   #10
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
just seen on BBC news DVLA included in ban
As far as I know it's going to be any online transaction, though not sure ??
Apparently the average charge the card companies levy on businesses using their systems is 0.6% so a lot of businesses have been raking it in for years even though they're "supposed" to only charge what it costs them.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 15:05   #11
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Businesses will just charge another way. Nobody's going to win. At least it'll be a bit more transparent.
Old 19-07-2017, 15:57   #12
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Glad to see that the greedy airlines are included. Mind you, I'm sure they'll soon claw it back - maybe by charging for meals...
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 16:01   #13
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
As far as I know it's going to be any online transaction, though not sure ??
Apparently the average charge the card companies levy on businesses using their systems is 0.6% so a lot of businesses have been raking it in for years even though they're "supposed" to only charge what it costs them.
it said on the news the average cost is 5p per transaction and is cheaper than clearing cash yet some charge several pounds ,the DVLA charge £2.50 per transaction ,they must be coining in millions .
Old 19-07-2017, 20:36   #14
beeman
Kiss My Stinger

Services: Virgin VIP package, FREEVIEW
beeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
My dad worked on Chip and Pin for Visa and he said that while it's true that the card companies do charge businesses for accepting them the cost is still lower than banking cash
May be true for big business that need safes, security vans etc but not true for small businesses. Im a self employed carpet fitter i currently pay 2.75% on ALL card transactions (both credit and debit) and so i charge that fee to the custmer (technically i still loose out there as i have to pay 2.75% on the 2.75%) and it takes 10-14 days before i get the money in my bank account. my bank charges me NOTHING to receiving BACS payments or paying cash in and the money is there in seconds.

As a result of this change i will no longer be accepting card payments at all. So in my case the consumer looses out, they have the convinance of card payment (and paying for that convinance) or free more incoveniant payment methods next year they will only have the inconviance.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 20:59   #15
RizzyKing

Won't make any difference to the majority of us prices will increase to cover it and we will be no better off.