Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub Port Forwarding Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub Port Forwarding Problems

Old 25-04-2012, 23:05   #1
200thhorseman
Inactive

Services: 30Mb Broadband, TiVo, V+, M Phone and Two Virgin Mobiles
200thhorseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Superhub Port Forwarding Problems

Dear all,

I am a bit of an IT tinkerer and like to set things up just to see if I can get them working.

I currently have a web server running on my home network and would like to be able to access the page from outside of my LAN.

With my pre-Superhub setup (the little black Virgin modem and a Linksys WRT54G router) this was a piece of cake. I just forwarded port 80 to the IP address of my web server (192.168.0.2) and everything worked fine (I used DynDNS to forward my domain name to my external IP address).

I upgraded to a Superhub and 30Meg broadband about 6 months ago however at the time didn't setup my web server.

This evening I thought I might have a go at setting it up agian. I duly forwarded port 80 to the IP address of my server inside my LAN using the Supehub's web interface, however this time it doesn't work. I used the ShieldsUp port scanner and it indicates that port 80 is still closed.

I have searched the net and it is apparent that I am not the only one having difficulties with port forwarding on the Superhub.

Question - Does anyone know if the problem is definitely the Superhub, or am I missing something?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Rob
200thhorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2012, 23:10   #2
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Superhub Port Forwarding Problems

When I had a Superhub port forwarding worked OK so I suspect you've screwed it up somehow. Can you access your server from within your home network? Have set up any software firewall you may have on the server machine correctly?
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 23:27   #3
200thhorseman
Inactive

Services: 30Mb Broadband, TiVo, V+, M Phone and Two Virgin Mobiles
200thhorseman is an unknown quantity at this point

I can access the webpage from inside my network no problem soI know it is running and serving the pages as it should be.

Unless I have missed something stupid I would be surprised if I have screwed something up given that I have had it working fine before. Also, to be honest, there's not really all that much to it.

Rob
200thhorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 13:04   #4
Fysh
Inactive

Fysh is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar problem with a server I developed. It runs okay on an external VPS, and anyone can connect to it.

However, when I try to run it on my home PC, using port forwarding, only I can connect to it. I would be really interested to know what I can do to address this issue...
Fysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 13:17   #5
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Some cheap routers can't listen on a loopback interface (LAN) while portforwarding.

That said, I run a development webserver on my LAN for tinkering, and it responds over the LAN and via portforwarding, so the superhub doesn't seem to have that issue.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 13:24   #6
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
Some cheap routers can't listen on a loopback interface (LAN) while portforwarding.
Yes I remember running across that one in the past but I'd forgotten it. That said if you don't have the issue on a Superhub nobody should. Simplest way to check is to use a 3G phone or phone a friend to try it.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 14:13   #7
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I recall port forwarding on the superhub worked OK for me.

However, lately I've been using an asus rt n16 flashed with tomatousb. The other day I was quite depressed to find that port forwarding had stopped working.

I managed to retrieve the situation by clearing the NVRAM.

On the superhub the nearest equivalent is resetting to factory defaults. If you are still getting problems and are confident you've done everything right then you must have a faulty superhub.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 14:42   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
The correct term for this is NAT reflection - though most people call it "loopback" for some reason.

The loopback interface is 127.0.0.1 and cannot be used to listen or transmit anything to/from the LAN, hence I prefer to avoid the term to avoid confusion.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote