Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Samsung Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich?

Old 20-02-2012, 08:33   #1
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light
Samsung Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich?

So, there are rumours on the net that ICS will make an official appearance on the SGS2 on or around 1st March.

As I am new to VM Mobile I'm not really sure on the stance they take on new firmware? Is the SGS2 under the mercy of VM and their own release schedules or will it pick up stock Samsung/Android firmware when it is released?

My previous experience of this was on the Vodafone network with Nokia phones and they were painfully slow at approving updates.
BenJSmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2012, 09:24   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich?

VM need to test the firmware before they release it.
Old 05-03-2012, 19:03   #3
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Samsung have announced it will arrive on March 15........My birthday!!!

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sams...arch-50007230/
Old 05-03-2012, 19:13   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
Samsung have announced it will arrive on March 15........My birthday!!!

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sams...arch-50007230/
Yes and its three days after my birthday so it will be interesting to see how good it is.
Old 13-03-2012, 19:37   #5
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

It's being rolled out next Monday according to this http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sams...arch-50007310/

But when will Virgin give it the green light?
Old 13-03-2012, 19:54   #6
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
It's being rolled out next Monday according to this http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sams...arch-50007310/

But when will Virgin give it the green light?
Yes my phone awaits it and also lets hope we don't get any problems with this new version.
Old 13-03-2012, 20:09   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I flashed my phone using odin to 2.3.6 and thinking about doing it to ICS polish version, not sure if thats a bad idea or not
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 06:16   #8
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

It has been rolled out to sim free phones but those of us locked on to networks have to wait a bit longer.
Old 14-03-2012, 12:27   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It has been rolled out to sim free phones but those of us locked on to networks have to wait a bit longer.
It will be interesting, because as far as I can tell my SGS II is unbranded, even though I got it from a VM shop, so will see whether I can get it on Monday or not
Old 14-03-2012, 13:15   #10
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It started to rollout to parts of Europe yesterday but the UK isn't due to get the update till at least next week, and thats only for unbranded handsets bought SIM free.
Old 15-03-2012, 08:32   #11
whizzard
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo & V+ XL TV / XL Telephone / XL 30Mb Broadband with Super Hub
whizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to all

If it has any pre installed VM apps then I hate to be the bearer of the bummer and say its a VM iteration of the phone software and as such like all the other networks won't be rolling from the 19 the.
whizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:19   #12
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
If it has any pre installed VM apps then I hate to be the bearer of the bummer and say its a VM iteration of the phone software and as such like all the other networks won't be rolling from the 19 the.
It's surprisingly Virgin free-only the network operator's name gives the game away.

---------- Post added at 08:19 ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 ----------

Further to that *#1234# gives you various information-apparently xeuk or xx means unbranded. Virgin have confirmed on the community forum that they'll be taking the software for testing once it's released in the UK, but it appears that you won't have to wait for that process if your phone is unbranded.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 11:48   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Well as I put in the main Google Android thread, I took the plunge and did the update via ODIN last night as KIES is very flakey on my computer.

Worked fine and still picked up Virgin correctly (rather than seeing it as T-Mobile)
Old 16-03-2012, 12:02   #14
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Well as I put in the main Google Android thread, I took the plunge and did the update via ODIN last night as KIES is very flakey on my computer.

Worked fine and still picked up Virgin correctly (rather than seeing it as T-Mobile)
The polish version?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 12:08   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
The polish version?
Yup, but it got all UK stuff in it anyway - just followed the instructions here http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-pho...y-s2-50006766/

Also best bit is it seems to have got rid of the 'Fully charged' beep which has been annoying the hell out of me since I got the phone