Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Shifting modem

Old 01-02-2013, 18:46   #1
misog
Inactive

misog is an unknown quantity at this point
Shifting modem

At present I have a V+ box and telephone in the lounge and my 20M broadband modem in another room.
I want to move my PC and modem into the lounge but Virgin want £99 to move the modem.
Can I pick up a broadband connection off the connection box for the V+ or what other options have I got.

£
misog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2013, 19:34   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Shifting modem

you can do it yourself or call into VM and sort your package out. your V+ can be upgraded to a TiVo which will require a tech visit. ask the tech to move the modem while hes there. your 20meg will go to 60meg if you havent already been doubled. that will require a SuperHub. if you log into MyVirginMedia you may have an early upgrade option up top. this could be a self install, SuperHub being sent via HDNL/Yodel or a tech booking will be stated.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 19:39   #3
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by misog View Post
At present I have a V+ box and telephone in the lounge and my 20M broadband modem in another room.
I want to move my PC and modem into the lounge but Virgin want £99 to move the modem.
Can I pick up a broadband connection off the connection box for the V+ or what other options have I got.

To answer your question directly, in case you want to stay with your existing package, you need a cable tv splitter in the lounge.

Incoming coax goes into the splitter, V+ and Modem come out of the splitter. Simples.

You can buy splitter on ebay.

e.g: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Sign...-/220504724690

£

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 20:28   #4
misog
Inactive

Thanks Seph .
A splitter should be the simple answer BUT im not sure it will work.
As I have been a cable customer for many years my front garden is full of siamese cables which makes gardening interesting.
This means that my TV, Broadband and even telephone are on separate cables back to the cab.
If I pick up my broadband off the TV feed will it leave a noisy back end from the old unterminated broadband connection.
Old 01-02-2013, 21:10   #5
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Simply buy a terminator or two as well. It'll work - but to be sure, just connect the modem to the V+ box and see what happens. The VM end responds to the IP header from your modem, not to the dumb tap point to which it is connected.

Let us know.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:19   #6
misog
Inactive

I connected the modem to the coax supplying the V+ and it worked OK thanks.
I will pick up a splitter from Maplins this afternoon.
I am concerned that the splitter may reduce the signal too much so I can return it if I have problems.
In the past the techs, rather than running a new cable for the V+, patched it onto a cable next door so its a bit flakey out there.

I have just checked the power levels and have 12.6dBmv with a SNR of 37.7 so cant see that I should have problems
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54   #7
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

The 12.6 dBmv will need taking down. The splitter will knock off about 4 dB but if you can get a 6 dB forward path attenuator as well, that would put the modem at less risk. Sometimes the SH can hack 10 or 12 dBmb; mine won't work properly if downstream power exceeds 7 dBmv.

Old 02-02-2013, 13:19   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by misog View Post
I am concerned that the splitter may reduce the signal too much so I can return it if I have problems.
Yes but the problem you will have is the opposite. The splitter won't reduce the signal enough. You need to reduce the signal even more.

Quote:
I have just checked the power levels and have 12.6dBmv with a SNR of 37.7 so cant see that I should have problems
The SNR is getting borderline. Splitters (and attenuators, and anything else) reduce your SNR and below 35 things can get flakey. The Superhub tends to report SNR 2-3dB higher than the old VMNG anyway, so it's "actually" already 35 by old standards.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:02   #9
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

SNR will most probably rise once attenuation is applied.
Old 02-02-2013, 14:10   #10
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Why?

Old 02-02-2013, 14:14   #11
thenry
Inactive

seen it before. SNR drops when high power levels are active. balancing of some sort.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

OP needs to state his upstream level
Old 02-02-2013, 14:40   #12
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

SNR (ratio of signal to noise) will change if signal or noise does
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 15:14   #13
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Yes - but to wjhat effect? If it's miniscule, what's the point of mentioning it?

Old 02-02-2013, 15:18   #14
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
The SNR is getting borderline. Splitters (and attenuators, and anything else) reduce your SNR and below 35 things can get flakey. The Superhub tends to report SNR 2-3dB higher than the old VMNG anyway, so it's "actually" already 35 by old standards.
Old 02-02-2013, 15:33   #15
misog
Inactive

Whats all this rubbish about reducing levels.
I have put the modem back onto its original connection box and have measured the levels on that cable (remember my broadband and TV are on two separate cables back to the cab) and the levels are 13.6db and a 39.1 snr. My modem has been quite happy running at that level for years.