Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | signing for the delivery of a new hub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

recabling

Old 23-07-2011, 22:49   #1
Meccanoid
Inactive

Meccanoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry recabling

What does it take to get a re-cabling.
I have dodgy internet every time we have a period of heavy rain.
Typically, we will lose connection for 10 mins, a whole evening or a couple of days. This will repeat for as long as the rainy weather lasts, sometimes a month or more. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...lies/tdown.gif
Over the years with Yorkshire Cable/NTL/Virgin, every time the problem has reoccurred we are promised a new cable "next time". All I ever get is changed attenuator.
We have had 3 engineer visits in last month. After last visit, Virgin promised to ring back to check if ok - still waiting call. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...milies/mad.gif
Spent 40 mins "on hold", & 10 mins speaking to 4 different people on so called helpline. Virgin promised engineer would phone back next day - I think you've already guessed - no call. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...milies/mad.gif
Is it time to give up unreliable "fast" cable & go for "slow" copper? http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...s/confused.gif
Meccanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-07-2011, 23:49   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: recabling

They don't change cabling on a hunch, they only do it if they can prove the cabling is at fault. What do you think that's wrong with the cable that will only cause an issue in rain?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 18:47   #3
Meccanoid
Inactive

The very first day it was laid it got cut & rejoined.
Virgins own cable engineers have stated on their many visits that cable should be renewed if problems persist and they do persist. Unfortunately the problem often goes away just long enough for Virgin to forget their promise.
The last visitor - a "senior line engineer" said if problem persisted, they would replace both the cable to the house and the cable up the street to be sure of fixing the problem.
My frustration is, that despite only working for 2 days following that visit, I have to start all over again with helpline.

Anyway, tried helpline again today (after yet another internet failure) - I need a few days between calls to recompose myself. A lady promised to take ownership of the problem and call me back Monday to arrange recabling. Here's hoping!
Old 24-07-2011, 19:02   #4
LOYAL CUSTOMER
Permanently Banned

LOYAL CUSTOMER can only hope to improve

phone richard branson, i had a simular problem and he came round and fixed, he even had a bacon sarnie!
LOYAL CUSTOMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 20:22   #5
Meccanoid
Inactive

you got his number?
I expect him to pay for sarnies!
Old 24-07-2011, 20:33   #6
bandit2329
Inactive

bandit2329 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi try this give them a call select the option you are going to leave or thinking of leaving 9 time out of 10 uk call centre not weekends not there tell them your problem and if its not fixed you will be cancelling there services and moving to sky. Ive done this a few times when things are not getting sorted ive been with vm as a customer for over 10yrs if they want to keep loyal customers they have to keep them happy you are helping to pay there wages at end of the day good luck let us know how you get on.
bandit2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 22:29   #7
Meccanoid
Inactive

Just to let you know. Cable went completely "dead" Friday/Saturday. Got replaced 4 days later. Despite "customer complaints adviser" informing me that "job sheet" stated 155mtrs of cable were to be replaced, I believe only 5mtrs from street to house got done and then only reluctantly and only because it was dead. We'd actually had 5 technician visits since May plus 2 visits after it went dead.
Virgin have no strategy/procedure for intermittent fault curing. A technician will add a bigger attenuator one day because signal is too strong, then next day a different technician will remove it because signal has gone weak.
Good news is BT also offer fibre broadband.
Old 24-08-2011, 21:58   #8
wares1t
Inactive

wares1t is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccanoid View Post
Virgin have no strategy/procedure for intermittent fault curing. A technician will add a bigger attenuator one day because signal is too strong, then next day a different technician will remove it because signal has gone weak.
Good news is BT also offer fibre broadband.
The problem with intermitant issues are that (as I found out to my perril), VM will cancel the tech appointment if they see activity on your internet service again. This is an automatic process I've been told, so they arn't able to call you to state that the visit has been cancled.

Even with BT's optic broadband, the last part of the connection is via copper pair, so you won't allways get the 40Meg speeds that they say 'up to'.

ADSL is a technology that is reactive to the condition, length and type of copper pair that is in use. BTOpenreach are replacing some older and lesser performing copper cables and lead based solder used in exchanges with lead free solder and larger bore copper pair cables in some, but not all areas.

These areas will most deffinatly be larger cities where higher bandwidths can be utalised more productivly.

There is also a version of fibre broadband from BT Wholesale called FTTP (fibre to the premise), but this requires a 2 man crew, 4 hour install and a relay of a fibre based cable.

I hope this helps you,

Tony.
wares1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 10:23   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by wares1t View Post
Even with BT's optic broadband, the last part of the connection is via copper pair, so you won't allways get the 40Meg speeds that they say 'up to'.
The vast majority of people will.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote