Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Constant Engaged tone

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

1471 redialing?

Old 12-11-2010, 15:06   #1
lobster1
Inactive

lobster1 is an unknown quantity at this point
1471 redialing?

Had a call from i assume an overseas company competition line and put the phone down.

As i am with tps and also have caller number withhold number enabled (basically if they withhold the number it shouldn't come through) i decided to check who rang me dialing 1471.

Immediately i heard the same voice from the competition line, i at no time touched the number 3 option to ring back.

Try again a few mins later i thought. and had a message that the caller had cleared and also the callers number couldn't be found.

i understand caller withhold doesn't usually work from calls outside the UK but what i was wondering if i had been charged for a return call even tho i had only dialed 1471.

Called Cs, it took a while to explain to the overseas gent what i was getting at however told if it appears on the itemized bill then to phone back and virgin would remove it .

Anyone else have a redial after only dialing 1471?
lobster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2010, 15:19   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 1471 redialing?

It sounds more like that although you put the phone down, the people calling you didn't. So when you picked the phone up you were still connected to the call
Old 12-11-2010, 15:25   #3
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal

That's because the rogue dialler was still connected to you, I.e the connection was not actually broken from their end, so when you picked up the phone you could still hear same waffling away regardless.

In view of the above, you wouldn't have been charged for the call.

Si thee
bw41101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 15:33   #4
lobster1
Inactive

lobster1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably what happened however i noted that the call started from the very start when i dialed 1471 not halfway through.
cheers for the swift reply
lobster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 22:22   #5
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Remember, it is the person making the call (ie. actually paying for it) who has the right to cut it off or not, not the receiver. That said, BT used to cut a call off if the line had been silent for a certain period of time (not sure how long) to avoid huge phone bills if a phone had not quite gone down properly. I don't know what VM do in these circumstances. Basically, though, if the receiver puts the phone down the call will not cut off. It cuts when the caller downs their phone only.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote