Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Just got 50mb Broadband - Signal levels ok?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Just got 50mb Broadband - Signal levels ok?

Old 09-05-2010, 15:38   #31
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold
Re: Just got 50mb Broadband - Signal levels ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
you didnt answer earlier , are you wireless or wired?
I tried both, no difference at all. At 2am I was maxing out the connection on wireless as well, so there is no issue with reception or the ability of my wifi to handle the speed.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2010, 15:39   #32
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Where in the world are you Risco?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 15:47   #33
Risco
Inactive

Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Where in the world are you Risco?
I am in Maidstone. Here is some of my latest stats, T3 timeouts are climbing?
Attached Images
File Type: png Modem.PNG (21.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Modem2.PNG (16.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-05-2010, 17:02   #34
Risco
Inactive

Updated my stats.
Old 09-05-2010, 17:09   #35
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

you cant rely on one attempt to give you a reliable speed test, especially a games server. I would only expect to get those sort of speeds as well. I am thinking it is midday on a weekend, everyone is at home downloading demos and patches etc, not only is my local network going to be congested but also the server I am trying to connect to, so speeds are bound to be poo. Although I have got 50mbit I don't expect to get anywhere near that for 99% of the stuff I do. The only time I know I am going to get 4-5mb/sec is when I am downloading from a particular torrent tracker or if I am using newsgroups. The rest of the time it is keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 18:54   #36
Risco
Inactive

It was not one test, I have been testing numerous times for the last 24 hours +. Seems like Virgin are only good for their word on the TV service and phone ( both been great )

When it comes to broadband, they missell and lie. All day Sunday and only for one fleeting moment was I getting full speed. The rest it would struggle to get over my old 20mbps speed. For the pleasure of this they signed me up for a new 12 month contract for not only the broadband, but tv and phone as well.
Old 09-05-2010, 19:57   #37
speedfreak
Inactive

Services: VM phone TV 50Mbps BB
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
It was not one test, I have been testing numerous times for the last 24 hours +. Seems like Virgin are only good for their word on the TV service and phone ( both been great )

When it comes to broadband, they missell and lie. All day Sunday and only for one fleeting moment was I getting full speed. The rest it would struggle to get over my old 20mbps speed. For the pleasure of this they signed me up for a new 12 month contract for not only the broadband, but tv and phone as well.
Dont panic, it should get sorted though it may take time! Have you posted over on VM's support forum? Bit easier than using the phone I found
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 21:24   #38
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
Dont panic, it should get sorted though it may take time! Have you posted over on VM's support forum? Bit easier than using the phone I found
Trouble is with my work times, it is hard for me to reply quickly.

Here is my tracert, seems I am getting high ping the minute it hits my ubr?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 10 ms 43 ms 10.13.196.1
2 142 ms 44 ms 197 ms osr01maid-ge28.network.virginmedia.net [81.96.1.
169]
3 10 ms 35 ms 33 ms basl-core-1a-tenge81.network.virginmedia.net [62
.30.243.45]
4 9 ms 18 ms 17 ms brnt-bb-1a-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net [195.18
2.178.109]
5 12 ms 69 ms 11 ms glfd-bb-1b-as1-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43
.163.105]
6 23 ms 33 ms 14 ms redb-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
185.78]
7 214 ms 215 ms 212 ms 212.58.239.249
8 14 ms 21 ms 13 ms 212.58.238.149
9 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]

Trace complete.
Old 09-05-2010, 22:15   #39
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Hrm, some congestion by the looks of it.

If you're fine at 2am that's what it points to - please speed test and do a traceroute or ping the BBC later on this evening and compare with the results at 21:24, thanks.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 22:21   #40
Risco
Inactive

My speeds are back to normal again. Big difference in the tracert

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 18 ms 6 ms 6 ms 10.13.196.1
2 12 ms 7 ms 8 ms osr01maid-ge28.network.virginmedia.net [81.96.1.
169]
3 235 ms 221 ms 13 ms basl-core-1a-tenge81.network.virginmedia.net [62
.30.243.45]
4 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms brnt-bb-1a-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net [195.18
2.178.109]
5 23 ms 14 ms 11 ms glfd-bb-1b-as1-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43
.163.105]
6 22 ms 12 ms 13 ms redb-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
185.78]
7 20 ms 33 ms 13 ms 212.58.239.249
8 14 ms 35 ms 24 ms 212.58.238.149
9 20 ms 17 ms 23 ms virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\>
Old 09-05-2010, 22:32   #41
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

i hate running speed tests that only lasta few seconds because they don't give you an accurate picture. Download a nice chunky 5gb file from newsgroups or something and see if you can sustain 5mb/sec. You should be able to do it no problemo this time of night.
Old 09-05-2010, 22:35   #42
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
i hate running speed tests that only lasta few seconds because they don't give you an accurate picture. Download a nice chunky 5gb file from newsgroups or something and see if you can sustain 5mb/sec. You should be able to do it no problemo this time of night.
I have never used newsgroups, where would you suggest I find one of that size?
Old 09-05-2010, 22:58   #43
General Maximus
Ran Away

it isn't just the size, it is knowing you can/should get the speed as well. Let me take a look around and i'll get back to you

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

ok dude, a couple of things to mention which prove my point. I just popped over to thingbroadband.com to download a 1gb file and just by clicking on the link to download I only got 1.8mb/sec. If i pasted the link into my download accelerator I got 4.2mb/sec. The reason why I have no probs getting 4-5mb/sec with torrents and newsgroups is because they also utilise multiple connections when downloading which is I think is the only way you are going to saturate your connection. Either that or download multiple files at the same time.

The second point I wanted to make is with speedtests:

If i had made the mistake of using the speedtest from Coventry and running a large file download test but click on the link I could be whining like anything now saying I am only getting 10-20mbits when I know it is not true. I know I can get 50mbits as long as a server can pump the juice in my direction. Although the results look disappointing I know that if i want any torrents or anything from newsgroups right now it'll zip along quite happilly at 5mb/sec.

I suggest you get a download accelerator which will intergrate itself into IE and automatically open your download links for you, it is the only way you are going to get the most out of your connection from browsing websites. The most I have got from using a non-multiple connection (i.e newsgroups and torrents) prog is when I download games on Steam and I get 3.5mb/sec
Old 10-05-2010, 21:26   #44
Risco
Inactive

Phoned up tech support, got one of the Indian call centre staff as it is late at night. Anyway he says they are aware of slow speed issue and that someone is fixing it on 13th @ 9am.

Now should I believe this guy? He gave me a £15 credit to my account, which was nice! On the flip side I only have 7 days to evaluate, what do you think?
Old 10-05-2010, 21:33   #45
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Phoned up tech support, got one of the Indian call centre staff as it is late at night. Anyway he says they are aware of slow speed issue and that someone is fixing it on 13th @ 9am.

Now should I believe this guy? He gave me a £15 credit to my account, which was nice! On the flip side I only have 7 days to evaluate, what do you think?
try download 4 files from gamefiles.virginmedia.com go to beluyondegames --> demoes --> select 4 fies over 1gig downlaod them and then post the transfer rates as it is ont eh sdcreen ill let oyu know how fast yoru connection is runnign a tthen as for the issue who knows is all i will say
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote