Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PS3 Wireless Internet Connection?

Old 30-07-2008, 14:59   #1
far67014
Inactive

far67014 is an unknown quantity at this point
PS3 Wireless Internet Connection?

How do I connect PS3 to the Internet when I do not own a PC.
So I subscribe to ISP - Do I then get a Modum which is wireless?
It comes with software discs which I assume is for the Pc software.
Do I then plug this into Ps3 with Ethernet?
How do I dail up to the Internet to make the connection?

Please help with details. I'm clueless as you can gather.
far67014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2008, 15:28   #2
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice
Re: PS3 Wireless Internet Connection?

Although you can connect through a PC with Internet Connection Sharing, you don't need a PC to connect the PS3 to the internet. In fact, connecting through a PC can have an adverse effect on your PS3's connection.

All you need is a broadband internet connection. If you don't have a PC, and the PS3 is all you will be using the internet connection for, you don't even need a router, since your cable or ADSL modem can connect directly to the Ethernet port on the PS3.

You would only really need a wireless router if your PS3 is going to be in a different room to the modem. Otherwise, you don't need a router at all. Though I would recommend a cabled connection wherever possible, since it is both faster and more reliable.

The PS3 is not like a PC, and you don't need to install any software or drivers to get it working. You just plug it in, set it up as instructed in the manual, and it works.
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 15:31   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoimia View Post
Acable or ADSL modem can connect directly to the Ethernet port on the PS3.

Assuming the ADSL modem has an Ethernet port and NOT ALL DO so it's worth finding out for sure! In any case, a router might be a wise investment (and might not cost you anything depending on which ISP you go with!)
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 16:31   #4
far67014
Inactive

OK - Makes sense - In a way. Thank for the response.

I'm still lost though.

Went to a Service provider and got a broadband connection.
Got a card (those you insert into Laptops) and also a USB version of the same thing I assume.

Now what? Where is the Modum in this connection or is the modum build into the PS3? What about the WiFi connection on the PS3?.

Sorry for the stupid questions , but I am not able to get to the PS3 manuals as I do not have Internet at home & we are blocked from viewing at work & of cause the PS3 does not come with detailed manual.

Thanks for the help guys & dolls..
Old 30-07-2008, 17:44   #5
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

It really depends what kind of broadband setup the provider has given you. It sounds like they may have given you a wireless hub, with wireless network cards for PC and laptop.

It would be easier for people to assist you if you can tell us the name of your broadband provider, and/or the names and models of the hardware they've given you.
Old 31-07-2008, 12:55   #6
far67014
Inactive

I received:
3G HSDPA USB Modem.
A Mobile DCMCIA Card
Also what I assume to be a PCMCIA card adapter.( USB connectors and I slide the Card into a slot on this)?
Then something else : A gimick with USB cable out & place for 4 incoming USB cables. (Is this also a tipe of Modum?). What is this for?
Sim Card.

Let me explain what I did last night.

Inserted Sim card into DCMCIA Card.
I inserted the DCMCIA Card into what I term the PCMCIA card adapter and plugged it into USB port on PS3.
The card flashes but it does not seem to make a connection.
I set the PS3 to Wireless and it picked up 2 SSID's. Both very low reception(1 & 2 %). It does not seem to make the connection with my modum. What would my SSID be?

Do I not need to register something with my ISP first to make this work.
Like the puck code or something for the sim card?

Hope it makes more sense.
Old 31-07-2008, 13:29   #7
i-Set

where u from dude, cos if ure from the UK and signed up to 3G's broadband via a usb dongle...uve made a mistake. im sure they have got a returns and refund policy...get rid of it...and sign up with a proper broadband service eg. virgin media or be broadband.

basically after you signed up with them, they will give you a modem, just plug the ethernet cable from the modem into the ps3 and follow the instructions on the ps3 to set up a connection...thats it and ure ready...i dont know why u bought a usb dongle broadband service.

virgin media currently do 2mb broadband for 4.50 pounds a month...let us know how you get on...

p.s after your ready add me...ive got fifa 08 and cod4...psn - i-Set
Old 31-07-2008, 13:40   #8
Paranoimia
Inactive

I believe i-Set is correct. The service you've signed up for is for mobile devices (phones, Blackberry etc.), and not suitable for PS3.

You need an account from someone like Virgin, Be, PlusNet or BT.
Old 01-08-2008, 13:08   #9
ruddock08
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200 Broadband + BT Whole Home WiFi
ruddock08 is on a distinguished roadruddock08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ruddock08

hey i-set can i add yu on my ps3?
mine's ruddock08 btw
ruddock08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:08   #10
i-Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddock08 View Post
hey i-set can i add yu on my ps3?
mine's ruddock08 btw
yh man sure
Old 14-08-2008, 12:09   #11
Doy22
Inactive

Doy22 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I searched to solve this problem I got the following solution... This setting is available only on PS3â„¢ systems that are equipped with the wireless LAN feature.

Set the method for connecting the system to the Internet. Internet connection settings vary depending on the network environment and the devices in use. The following procedure describes a typical setup when connecting to the Internet wirelessly.

1. Check that the settings for the access point have been completed.
Check that there is an access point connected to a network with Internet service near the system. Settings for the access point are typically set using a PC. For details, contact the person who set up or maintains the access point.

2. Confirm that an Ethernet cable is not connected to the PS3â„¢ system.

3. Select (Network Settings) under (Settings) in the home menu.

4.Select [Internet Connection Settings].
Select [Yes] when a confirmation screen is displayed stating that you will be disconnected from the Internet.

5. Select [Easy].

6. Select [Wireless].

7. Select [Scan].
A list of access points within the range of the PS3â„¢ system is displayed.

8. Depending on the model of PS3â„¢ system in use, you may have the option [Automatic]. Select [Automatic] when using an access point that supports automatic setup. If you follow the on-screen instructions, the necessary settings will be completed automatically. For information on access points that support automatic setup, contact your local retailer.

9. Check the SSID for the access point.

10. Select the security settings that you want to use.
The types of security settings vary depending on the access point. Contact the person who set up or maintains the access point for information on which setting to select.

11. Enter the encryption key.
The encryption key is displayed as a series of[*]. If you do not know the encryption key, contact the person who set up or maintains the access point for assistance. Select the access point that you want to use.
An "SSID" is an identification name assigned to an access point. If you do not know which SSID you should use or if an SSID is not displayed, contact the person who set up or maintains the access point for assistance.

When you have finished entering the encryption key and have confirmed the network configuration, a list of settings will be displayed.

Depending on the network environment, additional settings for PPPoE, proxy server or IP address may be required. For details on these settings, refer to the information from your Internet service provider or the instructions supplied with the network device.

12. Save your settings.

13. Test the connection.
If you select [Test Connection], the system will attempt to connect to the Internet.

14. Confirm the connection test results.
If a successful connection has been made, information on the network will be displayed.

And If the connection fails, follow the on-screen instructions to check your settings. Also refer to the information from your Internet service provider and the instructions supplied with the network device in use. If you test the connection immediately after selecting [Automatic] > [AOSSâ„¢] in step 7, the router settings may not be completed and the connection may fail. Wait approximately 1 or 2 minutes before testing the connection.
Doy22 is offline   Reply With Quote