Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anonymous Caller Rejection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Anonymous Caller Rejection

Old 17-03-2011, 21:58   #1
Hector's House
cf.addict

Hector's House is on a distinguished roadHector's House is on a distinguished road
Anonymous Caller Rejection

I'm supposed to have this phone extra for quite some time yet tonight and last night i've had calls where the caller witheld their number. Having just read the thread about caller display and it not being available in some areas I was wondering if this is the case with Anon Caller Rejection too? I'm in PE6 and if this is the case VM owe me some money and a big apology.
Hector's House is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2011, 22:36   #2
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
Re: Anonymous Caller Rejection

Did the automated voice on '1471' actually say the caller withheld their number or just that they don't have the number

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 22:42   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

On my phone if the number is not present it will say unavailable or the display will be blank otherwise it will say WITHHELD.

Some callers cheat as I have seen numbers like 000000. I dont know whether that gets round ACR
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 06:03   #4
Hector's House
cf.addict

Hector's House is on a distinguished roadHector's House is on a distinguished road

1471 said the caller witheld their number
Old 18-03-2011, 06:54   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector's House View Post
1471 said the caller witheld their number
Some companies are able to do this and the is nothing that Virginmedia or BT can do about it.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 06:59   #6
Hector's House
cf.addict

Oh I see, thanks
Old 18-03-2011, 07:58   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Oh I see, thanks
I have had them myself when I used to have anonymous caller rejection on my account, when you ring 1471 you get a message that you were called and the caller left no number or similar.
Old 18-03-2011, 10:31   #8
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

ACR will only block calls that originate from a switch that is blocking the number (I.E permanent number withhold or 141), whereas a circuit or switch that doesn't have a valid number (or no number at all) will still get through ACR. This system is in place on the emergency services switchboard to allow their calls to get through any barring restrictions but unfortunately this method is spreading into the world of sales!

Silent Call Guard is another good free option in the fight against silent calls...

http://www.ukdatait.co.uk/cgi-bin/sgAddNumber.cgi

And if you want to spend some pennys then I have heard good things about their hardware based call blocker service...

http://www.callblocker.co.uk/

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 18:45   #9
whitewineandsoda
Inactive

whitewineandsoda is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm supposed to have this phone extra for quite some time yet tonight and last night i've had calls where the caller witheld their number. Having just read the thread about caller display and it not being available in some areas I was wondering if this is the case with Anon Caller Rejection too? I'm in PE6 and if this is the case VM owe me some money and a big apology.
I don't pay for ACR, never have done. Does it depend on what package you are on?
whitewineandsoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 18:46   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewineandsoda View Post
I don't pay for ACR, never have done. Does it depend on what package you are on?
No you have to pay for it regardless of package.
Old 19-03-2011, 19:26   #11
whitewineandsoda
Inactive

Thanks for the peply Masque, I've had it for a few years and never been charged, just checked my bill and there's nothing on there.I seem to remember I just put a code no in to get it, but not sure.
Old 19-03-2011, 22:39   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewineandsoda View Post
Thanks for the peply Masque, I've had it for a few years and never been charged, just checked my bill and there's nothing on there.I seem to remember I just put a code no in to get it, but not sure.
I remember from either early in this thread or another thread than some franchises at one point gave it for free but if you cancelled it and some time later reordered it you would be charged for it.
Old 20-03-2011, 12:50   #13
whitewineandsoda
Inactive

Thanks for the reply Masque, I won't cancel it then, lol.
Old 20-03-2011, 13:25   #14
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

The codes I use for Anonymous Call Rejection are:

*227# to activate
#227# to deactivate
*#227# to check if operational

Worth mentiong ACR only blocks calls that are 'withheld' and not calls that are 'unavailable' and I believe these codes don't work on all VM phones - perhaps something like ex C&W exchanges or something equally technical like that
It is free of charge for me and always has been. I turn it on and off all the time, depending on circumstances.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 13:44   #15
whitewineandsoda
Inactive

Blackened, they are the same codes I use, except the one to check if it's operational, didn't know about that one so thanks.....