Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 04-03-2017, 14:48   #31
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Interesting, I wonder when they'll be looking at a full on roll out.

Also did someone say it'd be a 50meg connection?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2017, 15:42   #32
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Is the "Public WiFi" Traffic tunneled off somewhere or at least on a different Vlan/External IP interface than the private network traffic?

I'm not wanting to deal with the crap that would follow if someone on the "Public" side decided to access something they shouldn't.
They are completely separate.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post

It's 20Mbps allocated per Hub I believe, but then the network is on a single SSID and shared between anyone using it, so what speed you'll get will be dependent on lots of factors.
Old 04-03-2017, 17:25   #33
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post

We should be hearing something soon. Due to bugs in their various pilot areas VM have delayed an announcement until early 2017.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...ring-2017.html
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 17:26   #34
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

20meg is still more than BJ's offering and they can easily boost it in the future if they wanted
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 17:59   #35
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Is the "Public WiFi" Traffic tunneled off somewhere or at least on a different Vlan/External IP interface than the private network traffic?

I'm not wanting to deal with the crap that would follow if someone on the "Public" side decided to access something they shouldn't.
If you look at the Operational Configuration stats in the Hub, you'll see the Service Flow listed. That is your service flow. Hidden from you, is the service flow attributable to public WiFi. I think it's capped to 20/2 - maybe BenMcr can comment on that.

As to the shared 2.4GHz wireless frequency, there is only one radio in the el-chepo hub so it has to use the same frequency as in your house. Unless someone is standing right outside your house downloading like hell, (if they can even see a signal) they will contend with anything you're doing on the 2.4GHz band. I

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 18:04   #36
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Looks as though they have ditched plans to roll this out on the SH2 then? I guess they never fixed the software bug that crippled mine for weeks!
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 15:38   #37
amarkr
cf.member

amarkr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarkr View Post
https://my.virginmedia.com/my-app/wh...wifi.html#FAQs

Something amazing is starting

We want you to connect to Virgin Media WiFi in as many areas of the UK as possible, so we’re expanding our service by adding Virgin Media Hubs to the network.

We’re adding hundreds of thousands of Hubs 3.0s to our growing network, helping you connect to WiFi in even more places. There are more Hub 3.0s to come, and we’re continuing with a pilot of the Super Hub 2ac. We’re planning to complete the rollout of our service later this year.

Find out more, including which areas are covered and how to opt out.

Where have Hubs been added to the Virgin Media network so far?

So far we’ve added Hub 3.0s to the network in
Basildon, Southend, Gillingham, Cambridge, the Cotswolds, Epping,
Loughton, Glenrothes, South Herts and Watford, and West Sussex. Areas where Hubs are part of the network are indicated by pink circles on the map in the Virgin Media WiFi app.
Mention of the 2ac trial has been removed
amarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 13:56   #38
NoCableForMe
cf.member

NoCableForMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't they make the street cabinets Wi-Fi hotspots?
NoCableForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 14:13   #39
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCableForMe View Post
Why don't they make the street cabinets Wi-Fi hotspots?
That would require an external aerial outside the shielded steel cabinet. I think that would require Planning Permission.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 14:38   #40
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
That would require an external aerial outside the shielded steel cabinet. I think that would require Planning Permission.
Also a power supply!
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:02   #41
amarkr
cf.member

amarkr is an unknown quantity at this point

Its an interesting idea - I remember BT mounted them within telephone boxes in some cities to provide street access
Not sure how they fared with the planning status, cabinets only have permitted development if providing fixed line broadband so it may well be a stumbling block to a retrofitting exercise.
amarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 16:24   #42
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Plus why go to the trouble adding one big wireless AP's to your cabs, when you can have lots of little wireless AP's dotted all around it?

Better coverage, more capacity and it doesn't cost additional hardware.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 17:54   #43
roseandjim
cf.member

roseandjim is an unknown quantity at this point

VM are promising all this Wi-Fi sharing I am keen to do it and have signed up but as I have only have a SH2 won't be able to do it and they want £14.99 to supply one whereas my neighbour broke her SH2 and they send her a SH3 with no charge.
roseandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 18:01   #44
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you don't have a Hub 3.0, then you still get to use the Virgin Media WiFi app and network. It's just that your own Hub won't be part of the Virgin Media WiFi network.

But then you won't connect to the Virgin Media WiFi network via your own Hub anyway - as you'll be using the private WiFi network for your own broadband connection.
Old 20-03-2017, 21:46   #45
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

So anyone in 'modem mode' in these selected areas, and not opted out of sharing in 'My VM'. If so, do you still have access to blag other folks wifi ?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote