Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Viewing TiVo in multiple rooms

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Quickstart Tivo-SH2ac install

Old 24-04-2015, 15:17   #1
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Quickstart Tivo-SH2ac install

In this thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...ctivation.html If I had feedback on a self install so here's a quick install report.

Yodel man came about 14:20, bigger box than I thought it would be..

I was only expecting a Tivo box but there was also a SH2ac in it so that's a bit of a bonus to replace my existing SH2 (non AC). Items in the box were labelled well with the superhub/psu being to one side with the tivo box/psu/remote and all the cables underneath. Three cables (one for each device and one with an inline isolator) are supplied all 1.5m in length along with a splitter and mounting bracket for the splitter. I already had a splitter installed along with slightly longer cables so the cable/splitter got put to one side.

All the documents involved were there with a viewing card. The docs and a big sticker on the tivo back were all screaming out to me to call the 0800 number before installing so I did..

The phonecall was short and sweet, just had to press 1 to say it wasn't a call about a virgin mobile and then again to select that the phone was registered to the account. It then told me that I had a self start package registered to my account, took me through a simple explanation that they would be immediately sending a start signal then the call was over.

Installation was easy as the SH was a direct swap and the Tivo was replacing a youview box so the only difference was the 2nd co-axcable that went to the tivo. The supplied plastic spanner makes sure that you don't overtighten which isn't needed with the supplied cables as they have no hex on them so you can only do them fingertight but as I had other cable with compression fitted F plugs the spanner was used.

Turn on.. SH2 turn on was the same, just reset the admin password, Wifi keys and SSIDs, it connected fine and I'm getting full speed.

The Tivo box on installation and card inserted was started, "starting" screen appeared a few times, vanished a few more then it did an update. Once done it took me to the screen telling me how to set the remote to control the TV power/mute/vol. Batteries in the remote and I quickly had the remote setup. and I set about exploring the Tivo.

Only one gripe with the install and that is the batteries in the remote. You have to be eagle eyed to spot that the batteries both go in the same way and not opposite as in most remotes.

Also is there any way of getting the TV guide to start on the channel you are currently on instead of starting at channel 100?

Tech info

SH2ac

Code:
Downstream Channels Lock Status 	Channel ID 	Frequency 	Modulation 	Rx Power 	RxMER 	Pre RS Errors 	Post RS Errors
Locked 	176 	323000000 Hz 	256 QAM 	6.1 dBmV 	 37.1 dB 	366 	299
Locked 	169 	267000000 Hz 	256 QAM 	6.7 dBmV 	 36.8 dB 	359 	295
Locked 	170 	275000000 Hz 	256 QAM 	7.0 dBmV 	 37.1 dB 	327 	297
Locked 	171 	283000000 Hz 	256 QAM 	6.8 dBmV 	 37.4 dB 	305 	285
Locked 	172 	291000000 Hz 	256 QAM 	6.6 dBmV 	 36.0 dB 	939 	939
Locked 	173 	299000000 Hz 	256 QAM 	6.2 dBmV 	 37.4 dB 	309 	309
Locked 	174 	307000000 Hz 	256 QAM 	6.1 dBmV 	 36.6 dB 	293 	293
Locked 	175 	315000000 Hz 	256 QAM 	6.0 dBmV 	 36.6 dB 	305 	305

To reset the Pre and Post RS error counts please use the Downstream screen under the router status screen available from the login page.
Upstream Channels Lock Status 	Channel ID 	Frequency 	Modulation 	Tx Power 	Mode 	Channel Bandwidth 	Symbol Rate
Locked 	58 	35800000 Hz 	ATDMA 	43.8 dBmV 	16QAM 	6400000 Hz 	5120 Ksym/sec
NotLocked 	0 	0 Hz 	  	0 dBmV 	  	  	0 Ksym/sec
NotLocked 	0 	0 Hz 	  	0 dBmV 	  	  	0 Ksym/sec
Locked 	57 	45800000 Hz 	ATDMA 	45.0 dBmV 	16QAM 	6400000 Hz 	5120 Ksym/sec
I can't cut/paste the Tivo details but the internal cable modem is at a power of 42dBmV, agc 80% and SNR @ 39dB and all the tuners are at 100% with SNR's in the 38-39dB range.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2015, 15:23   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Quickstart Tivo-SH2ac install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Also is there any way of getting the TV guide to start on the channel you are currently on instead of starting at channel 100?
Not for the full guide, but the miniguide does start at your current channel. Just press OK from live TV
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 15:51   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

TV guide only goes to 2 days.. Took me though a quick search to realise that it'll take time to populate the database and by going to settings >> network you can see the progress which in my case is 55%
Old 24-04-2015, 16:08   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
TV guide only goes to 2 days.. Took me though a quick search to realise that it'll take time to populate the database and by going to settings >> network you can see the progress which in my case is 55%
Slightly connected to this is that the backwards EPG starts on your day of install - so it'll take a week before you can go back a week
Old 24-04-2015, 16:19   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Slightly connected to this is that the backwards EPG starts on your day of install - so it'll take a week before you can go back a week
I don't think that's true any more. Perhaps you can let us know, Kymmy?
Old 24-04-2015, 17:05   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Already have 2 weeks forward and 1 week backwards EPG, took about 1.5 hours to finish the connection.
Old 27-04-2015, 08:33   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Suggestions started working on Saturday night. Out of three its all been deleted..

Casualty - not interested but I presume its because I put Critical on a series link
Brits got talent - no idea how I got that as I'd only put documentarys on to record apart from the above.
Old 27-04-2015, 08:51   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Deleting them is futile as new ones will keep popping up. It only keeps 50 anyway. A better strategy is to give 1, 2 or 3 thumbs-down to the ones you don't like (depending how much you dislike them), then it'll get the idea.
Old 27-04-2015, 10:23   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Yep.. Have already press that thumb down button on those shows